2019-20 NBA Season Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:28:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2019-20 NBA Season Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2019-20 NBA Season Thread  (Read 10070 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 25, 2020, 10:38:46 PM »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29536798/sources-tom-thibodeau-finalizing-5-year-deal-coach-new-york-knicks

The Knicks are finalizing a five year deal with former Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Timberwolves Head Coach Tom Thibodeau.

As a Knicks fan, I don't love this hire. I don't hate it, but I do feel they could have done better than a retread who has been fired by two other teams.

If I were the owner/GM of the Knicks, I would have hired Becky Hammon (she's currently an Assistant Coach for the San Antonio Spurs, and has New York ties, having played for the New York Liberty of the WNBA), Patrick Ewing (former Knicks legend, now coaching at Georgetown), or Shaka Smart (currently the Head Coach at Texas). Of those three, I'd have gone with Ewing, a New York legend, who seems to enjoy coaching (at least if his time at Georgetown is any indication.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 04:20:42 PM »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29536798/sources-tom-thibodeau-finalizing-5-year-deal-coach-new-york-knicks

The Knicks are finalizing a five year deal with former Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Timberwolves Head Coach Tom Thibodeau.

As a Knicks fan, I don't love this hire. I don't hate it, but I do feel they could have done better than a retread who has been fired by two other teams.

If I were the owner/GM of the Knicks, I would have hired Becky Hammon (she's currently an Assistant Coach for the San Antonio Spurs, and has New York ties, having played for the New York Liberty of the WNBA), Patrick Ewing (former Knicks legend, now coaching at Georgetown), or Shaka Smart (currently the Head Coach at Texas). Of those three, I'd have gone with Ewing, a New York legend, who seems to enjoy coaching (at least if his time at Georgetown is any indication.

Why hire Ewing?  He hasn't exactly set the world on fire as coach at Georgetown. 

Honestly, it's Ewing's strengths as a recruiter that are keeping Georgetown afloat at the moment.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »

Why hire Ewing?  He hasn't exactly set the world on fire as coach at Georgetown. 

Honestly, it's Ewing's strengths as a recruiter that are keeping Georgetown afloat at the moment.

Ewing hasn't been a massive recruiter at Georgetown, his classes have ranked #31 #55 and #41. If we compare this to the former head coach John Thompson III, who had Georgetown ranked at #44 in 2017, #113 in 2016, #28 in 2015. It's not really a big step up in their recruiting ranking between the two, and if we compare that to Michigan head coach and former NBA player Juwan Howard, whose first-class ranked #15, while his predecessor John Beilein had classes ranked at #64 in 2019, #11 in 2018, and #43 in 2017. For the 2021 class we have Michigan at #6 and Georgetown at #49

It's much easier to sell recruits on Michigan than it is on Georgetown.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 03:03:11 PM »

My picks:

Eastern Confrerence

Bucks defeat Magic

Pacers defeat Heat

Celtics defeat 76ers

Raptors defeat Nets

Conference Senifinals

Bucks defeat Pacers

Raptors defeat Celtics

Eastern Conference Finals

Bucks defeat Raptors

Western Conference

Lakers defeat Trail Blazers

Rockets defeat Thunder

Nuggets defeat Jazz

Clippers defeat Mavericks

Conference Semifinals

Lakers defeat Rockets

Clippers defeat Nuggets

Western Conference Finals

Lakers defeat Clippers

NBA Finals

Bucks defeat Lakers

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 04:29:04 PM »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29732808/sources-philadelphia-76ers-fire-coach-brett-brown-7-seasons

The 76ers have fired Head Coach Brett Brown.

Speculation is circulating around former Cavaliers Head Coach Tyronn Lue, and Villanova Head Coach Jay Wright.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 07:00:52 PM »

Here's hoping BLM shuts professional sports in the U.S down again.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 04:09:30 AM »

I swear if we end up with Lakers-Celtics...

The NBA has been known for rigging things like the playoffs and the Draft Lottery to benefit certain teams before.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:01:56 PM »

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/mike-dantoni-announces-he-will-not-return-as-rockets-coach-next-season/

Mike D'Antoni steps down as Rockets Head Coach.

So, the big questions I have are...will D'Antoni be coaching somewhere else next season (maybe Brooklyn, Philadelphia or New Orleans?), and who will Houston hire as his replacement (Tyronn Lue? Jacque Vaughn? Billy Donovan?)?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies