Peru opens Macchu Pichu to single tourist who was stranded in the country for seven months
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:51:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Peru opens Macchu Pichu to single tourist who was stranded in the country for seven months
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Peru opens Macchu Pichu to single tourist who was stranded in the country for seven months  (Read 211 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »

https://abcnews.go.com/International/peru-opens-machu-picchu-lone-tourist-stranded-country/story?id=73584386

The government of Peru opened its most famous tourist site to the first tourist since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, after he'd been stuck in the country for seven months.

Japanese citizen Jesse Katayama has now seen what few before him have ever experienced: the majesty and wonder of Machu Picchu -- alone.

One of the most visited sites in the world, Machu Picchu usually draws about 1 million guests per year, and photos taken at the iconic Inca estate are often flooded with fellow tourists in the background.

For Katayama, that wasn't the case.

Katayama had arrived in Peru in mid-March to visit Machu Picchu, but the the pandemic stranded him in the nearby city of Aguas Calientes, Reuters reported.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 10:10:50 AM »

That's awesome!  Two questions, though, lol:

1) I honestly have no idea, but is it "safe" to be at Macchu Pichu alone??  It's pretty high up there.   I mean, the risk is that guy's to take, I am more just curious oh how hard it is to get up and down from the site.

2) This seems like a silly thing to close.  Being outside and socially distanced provides you with a risk of transmitting COVID that is close to a statistical zero.  There are ways to keep that big of a revenue generator for a relatively poor country open, IMO.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »

That's awesome!  Two questions, though, lol:

1) I honestly have no idea, but is it "safe" to be at Macchu Pichu alone??  It's pretty high up there.   I mean, the risk is that guy's to take, I am more just curious oh how hard it is to get up and down from the site.

2) This seems like a silly thing to close.  Being outside and socially distanced provides you with a risk of transmitting COVID that is close to a statistical zero.  There are ways to keep that big of a revenue generator for a relatively poor country open, IMO.

1. There are normally buses that goes up to near the top, so presumably, he was driven up by someone, perhaps the official who accompanied him.

2. It's very difficult to open the site, considering it's basically in the middle of nowhere, with little health infrastructure, and only accessible by train. Considering what a cash cow it is for the Peruvian government, I highly doubt they would've kept it closed for so long if they had any alternatives.

Anyway, he deserves it after spending 7 months in Aguas Calientes, lol. It's a tiny tourism town with nothing but crap hotels and overpriced restaurants. He was on track to apply for Peruvian citizenship at that rate, lol.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:17:41 AM »

Based on my experience with dating apps, 90% of the college aged female population in North America has been to Machu Picchu in the last 5 years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies