Will white Millennials become more Republican when they're middle aged?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:08:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Will white Millennials become more Republican when they're middle aged?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Will white Millennials become more Republican when they're middle aged?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 112

Author Topic: Will white Millennials become more Republican when they're middle aged?  (Read 5701 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2019, 08:27:48 PM »

I think what changes voters’ habits over time are party realignments, it’s parties shifting their positions over time that causes changes in voting patterns, if party positions stayed constant I believe voters would vote the same way their whole life.

Which raises the questions of how and why coalitions and issues changes.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2019, 09:50:24 PM »

I think what changes voters’ habits over time are party realignments, it’s parties shifting their positions over time that causes changes in voting patterns, if party positions stayed constant I believe voters would vote the same way their whole life.

Which raises the questions of how and why coalitions and issues changes.

There’s some interplay between party elites and their voters that cause issues to change over time, it’s the negotiation between party elites and voters via the process of primaries for example that causes coalitions to change over time. 
sg0508
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2019, 01:36:45 PM »

I don't know about "more Republican", but they MAY start to realize that some of the ridiculous social values and economic wants (i.e. free everything) isn't feasible.  We may actually "grow up".
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »

Yes, because political parties in America always adjust to be 50/50 and it's unclear to me that the Republican Party has other places it can improve besides this demographic, but this will have the effect of changing the party rather than changing white Millennials' political opinions.

Yeah, pretty much this. I think it's likely that millennials will become more Republican, but it will be a matter of Republicans adapting their views to millennials rather than the other way around.

However, I would disagree that the parties always adjust to be in parity. We've seen plenty of periods of long-term (~30 years) political dominance, and there's a totally plausible scenario where Republicans become the clearly weaker party in the country (at least outside of the Senate).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2019, 02:35:34 AM »

They will become more conservative, as a whole, as time passes. Incividual exceptions will be among those who have stakes in left-trending interests... but

(1) conservatives who have a stake in the economic status quo as property-owners and earners of high incomes are more likely to survive into old age due to better medical care and more will to live

(2) institutional change (mostly a likely breakdown of the economic elitism of the Reagan-to-Trump years) is likely to make life better and give Millennial adults less cause for hostility toward investors and executives

(3) Millennial adults in middle age are likely to find themselves in cultural clashes with young adults as was the case between GI adults and Baby Boomers. Such is grist for reactionary causes that exploit fears and anxieties among middle-aged people who can't understand how their kids could not be chips off the old block.

Note well that the GI Generation often grew up in hardscrabble conditions in contrast to those of younger adults since born... and such caused the GI generation to cleave toward an insipid culture.     
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »

Boomers did. So will Millennials.

Gen Xers didn't, but then again we (at least the white boys) were already to the right of Attila the Hun by the time we were 14.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2020, 06:41:21 AM »

People changing party affiliation as they age is largely a myth.....
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »

Yes, but it will be because the Republican party will become more Millennial, not the other way round.
GeorgeBFree
Npard23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2020, 10:49:24 PM »

What causes younger voters to grow more conservative as they age is either increase in income/wealth and/or having children. Incomes and wealth relative to baby boomers is lower on an inflation adjusted basis. Also millennials are far less likely to get married or have children. As a millennial, anecdotally the ones who are getting more financially successful and buying homes have moved hard to the right while those who are single and in lower/middle income jobs are shifting yo Bernie/AOC crowd versus previously being moderate Dems.

Being poor and single means greater loyalty to left as they have no skin in the game to preserve a free market economy. Unless economic formation or marriage rates accelerate millennials will not trend Republican. In fact they may get further left as they give up hope of ever being traditionally successful.
Brandern
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »

Only Silents really became more Republican with age, and when you consider their midage was the counterculture, the Vietnam War, the Carter disaster, and then the Reagan credit boom, it's no wonder they became more Republican. They got even more so under Obama for both obvious and forgotten reasons.

GI's stayed about the same except in landslides, Boomers have always been intensely divided between the parties, and Xers have a big split because those who came to age under Reagan and those who did under Clinton.

This. As a "middle" millennial I have now lived through the Bush fiasco in 2004-2008, "American Idiot", afraid of being drafted, the 2008 crash, searching for work for years, having multiple degrees but not really "launching" until 2016, making small bucks, living through the madness of the Trump era, the absolute insanity of the far-right. I have not lost a job/ been furloughed like thousands of my generation as Trump and his North-Koreaesque enablers nod and spout platitudes.

I have an apartment when my parents and grandparents had houses and financial stability. I will inherit large in the future but I am a Democrat for life. I will NEVER vote for the madness of the party of Trump, Neocons, religious wackjobs, privatize the profits and socialize the losses.

I think Millennials are going to be the strongest Democratic faction since the Greatest, who lived through similar shocks, that, surprise, surprise, it took Democrats to fix.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »

Boomers did. So will Millennials.

Gen Xers didn't, but then again we (at least the white boys) were already to the right of Attila the Hun by the time we were 14.

Boomers are pretty much the only generation that's happened with though. The Silent Generation always leaned conservative, and the GI Generation was always Democratic: in fact, back in the 80s, Midterms leaned Democratic because the FDR/New Deal Dems were still around and still voting Democratic, though by then they were senior voters, who as always had higher, more reliable turnout, and I remember seniors being talked about as a Democratic voting bloc as late as the 2000 election.
Brandern
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2020, 08:01:56 PM »

Right. The thing people don't get is generations are big.

The oldest boomers fought for integration, listened to folk music, and literally transformed through eh transition from the folk era to the hippy movement to the back to the land, to the counterculture being almost mainstreamed through music and fashion.

The youngest boomers came out of high school with Reagan, the optimism of the 80's. Think Alex P. Keaton. Not a surprise that boomers are 50/50...and have only gotten SLIGHTLY more conservative over time.

Differences are already baked in.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2020, 08:40:43 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2020, 08:56:59 PM by Sev »

Being poor and single means greater loyalty to left as they have no skin in the game to preserve a free market economy.

This makes no sense. What is this supposed to mean?
Brandern
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »

Being poor and single means greater loyalty to left as they have no skin in the game to preserve a free market economy.

This makes no sense. What is this supposed to mean?

You're a starving, landless peasant. You going to stand in front of Versailles and defend Marie Antoinette? Not that hard to understand...
Fwillb21
Rookie
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2020, 07:19:46 PM »

If the GOP continues to be so far to the right on social issues, no. Otherwise, quite possibly yes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies