FT 13.13 – Local Reorganization Act (Law) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:38:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 13.13 – Local Reorganization Act (Law) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 13.13 – Local Reorganization Act (Law)  (Read 757 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« on: October 22, 2019, 09:35:13 PM »

I look forward to the robust debate I am sure will ensue

You are way too optimistic about the current level of debate in this chamber.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 03:46:48 AM »

Interesting, though all-list PR perhaps shouldn't be the sole alternative and perhaps a range of proportional electoral systems like MMP and STV could also be given and states get to choose from them. Also do states currently have the option of being unicameral (Nebraska irl is unicameral so would this force them to abandon their system)?

I'd certainly prefer STV to the more problematic party-list PR, and I personally oppose unicameral legislatures (just look at Queensland), so I would hope bicameralism is required.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »

I personally feel that the cap on the size of the House of Commons is too strict. I'd rather that the number of seats in state legislatures be capped roughly in line of population. Under the current wording Wyoming might have districts of only 10k, while California's districts would have a population over a million.
I'd rather that all states be required to have HoC districts of roughly similar sizes. Perhaps a requirement that all states must have an average district size between 10k and 200k in population?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »

We should also make sure there's deviation requirements to ensure against malapportionment (I feel a 10% variation in either direction from quota is appropriate) and I would personally prefer that the size of the Senate is more variable and is in some way linked to the size of the House of Commons. And we should probably institute a threshold (maybe 5%?) for the Senates too.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 07:46:54 PM »

Indeed it does.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 03:34:22 PM »

Aye