Bolivia elections - 2019-2020 - Arce Victory (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:23:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bolivia elections - 2019-2020 - Arce Victory (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bolivia elections - 2019-2020 - Arce Victory  (Read 30670 times)
SInNYC

« on: June 09, 2020, 08:35:10 AM »

Well well, it turns out that the original OAS report that claimed fraud in vote counting was based on faulty statistical analysis - see https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/world/americas/bolivia-election-evo-morales.html.
If you dont remember, this was the one that made Morales agree to a new election, and an eventual coup leading to  right-wing dictator Anez.

Now the OAS is saying its moot - "Statistics don’t prove or disprove fraud. Hard evidence like falsified statements of polls and hidden I.T. structures do. And that is what we found". And the article says that the OAS consultant who did the work "did not share his methods or data with the authors of [this new study], despite repeated requests".
SInNYC

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »

And yet the US media was all over accusations that Morales cheated last time, including now-discredited OAS reports.

This time, not a peep. Not even much mention of the election.
SInNYC

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 10:02:51 AM »

More seriously: the people in that article are a level of stereotypical posho-classist-asshole-ness which I don't think I had ever seen before.

Not stereotypical at all sadly, they sound like regular Latin-American right-wing elites I know in regards to the “poor and uneducated”, with the only difference there’s the additional contempt for Indigenous elements because it’s Bolivia in this case. It’s not uncommon to see people using their social status to point out why they should have more privileges than others.

It’s no casual thing that class divide is the main defining political factor in most places in the region. It’s also why the left tends to be stronger with the poor, because of inequality sure, but I don’t think there’s other regions in the world where the rich reach such levels of awfulness in such an open way. It’s declared war. In other places the elites still suck but I feel like they try to pretend much better they’re good humanitarians, etc.

Basically, sometimes it’s hard not going full communist around here lol.

Is there some correlation between religion and such sentiment? eg, do rich Catholics, Pentecostals, and non-religious differ?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies