Bolivia elections - 2019-2020 - Arce Victory
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:15:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bolivia elections - 2019-2020 - Arce Victory
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Author Topic: Bolivia elections - 2019-2020 - Arce Victory  (Read 30239 times)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 09:10:05 AM »

Let's see if this actually solves anything. Also, the OP should probably be changed lol
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »

Good on Evo for doing the right thing. Now everybody needs to calm down and deescalate the situation. Make sure the authority in charge of the election is fully independent, and let it run its course.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2019, 03:11:50 PM »

Army chief calls for Morales to resign!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »

The President of the Chamber of Deputies and several government ministers have resigned, and the head of the national police has also called for Morales to go.

Rumors indicate Morales may have left the capital in the Presidential plane, destination unknown (likely to be one of his electoral bastions).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »

Morales has resigned! He's at a live press conference now.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2019, 04:15:27 PM by kaoras »

Morales has resigned! He's at a live press conference now.

If only somebody else would have the courage to resign instead of dragging his country to the mud for weeks.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 04:01:46 PM »

If he had just accepted a second round he had a real shot at winning.  Instead he is now all washed up.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »

If he had just accepted a second round he had a real shot at winning.  Instead he is now all washed up.

Hilarious indeed.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 05:44:14 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2019, 06:37:59 PM by ∀lex »

Apparently no one knows who will rule the country until the new elections take place or when those elections will be held (there are rumors that it would take until the second hald of next year)

The Vice President, the President of the Senate (and Provisional President for a few hours) and the President of the House of Representatives also resigned

It's not known whether the Armed Forces will take the handle of the government or if the president of the Supreme Court will assume as president, as established by the Acephaly Law. The vice-president of the Senate (from the Democrats opposition party) claims that she should be the next provisional president

Fernando Camacho, the public face of the protests, will try to get to agree with the Armed forced to form a transitional government

The top prosecutor has ordered the arrest of all members of the Electoral Court
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2019, 06:28:53 PM »

I'm glad we avoided the pro-Morales coup, but this is looking more and more like an anti-Morales coup...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »

Apparently no one knows who will rule the country until the new elections take place or when those elections will be held (there are rumors that it would take until the second hald of next year)

The Vice President  and the President of the Senate (and Provisional President) also resigned

It's not known whether the Armed Forces will take the handle of the government or if the president of the Supreme Court will assume as president, as established by the Acephaly Law. The vice-president of the Senate (from the Democrats opposition party) claims that she should be the next provisional president

The top prosecutor has ordered the arrest of all members of the Electoral Court

I highly doubt the head of the Armed Forces would formally take the mantle of power, as blatant coups have fallen out of fashion. What is more likely is that someone completely impotent (like the President of  the Supreme Court) formally takes power whilst the army runs things behind the scenes.

History will doubtlessly judge Morales favorably for not clinging to power at the expense of his country's wellbeing.
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2019, 07:46:54 PM by ∀lex »

Mexico has offered Evo Morales political asylum

Jeanine Añez, the aforementioned Vice President of the Senate, has proclaimed herself as the next provisional president
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »

I'm glad we avoided the pro-Morales coup, but this is looking more and more like an anti-Morales coup...

I mean, it’s not as if Adriana Salvatierra was forced to resign. She could be acting president right now if she wanted to.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 08:37:05 PM »

I mean, it’s not as if Adriana Salvatierra was forced to resign. She could be acting president right now if she wanted to.
Yeah, and then accidentally die from the crossfires of the police.

This is a blatant and violent power grab by the former rulers of Bolivia, sadly there exists no militias to restore democracy in Bolivia at the moment.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »

This is a blatant and violent power grab by the former rulers of Bolivia, sadly there exists no militias to restore democracy in Bolivia at the moment.

Shame how Evo’s ego was too big to let literally anyone else in his party be President after 21F. It’s entirely his fault that his accomplishments are in danger now.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 09:21:30 PM »

LOL
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2019, 10:22:22 PM »

Seems to be a common point on leftist twitter that the US is backing the anti-Evo factions to force him out of power. Is there any truth to this? As of now I'm treating it with more than a little skepticism until proven
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »

Why didn't Morales appoint officers loyal to him to the top jobs in the military and police? Are there no leftists in the security services?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 10:35:57 PM »

Shame how Evo’s ego was too big to let literally anyone else in his party be President after 21F. It’s entirely his fault that his accomplishments are in danger now.

I agree, but he may have been afraid of a betrayal by his successor as was the case in Ecuador where Moreno not only took a u-turn in policy but also investigated his predecessor for corruption.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2019, 10:48:44 PM »

Why didn't Morales appoint officers loyal to him to the top jobs in the military and police? Are there no leftists in the security services?

According to El País, he did. Williams Kaliman is close to him. https://elpais.com/internacional/2019/11/10/actualidad/1573426533_008486.html
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 10:54:13 PM »

Oddly enough, General Kaliman - head of the Armed Forces - was seen as a staunch Morales loyalist, which is why his decisions not to intervene at first (against the police revolt) and later to force Morales's resignation was stunning.

I read an article which suggested that although Morales had loyalists leading both institutions he had A. offended the army through measures such as political indoctrination, B. offended most of the police by not taking their side over an internal dispute with their leadership, and C. didn't count on the military not wanting to be responsible of a bloodbath if they were used to crush the protests (when the military did attempt this in a separate instance a few years ago - before Evo -, the military leadership was tried and sent to jail in the aftermath).

That sounded somewhat reasonable, though the explanation may be found elsewhere.

Note: The article I mentioned is the one that was cited before my post.
Cinemark

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2019, 10:58:54 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2019, 11:03:35 PM by #Klobmentum »

Seems to be a common point on leftist twitter that the US is backing the anti-Evo factions to force him out of power. Is there any truth to this? As of now I'm treating it with more than a little skepticism until proven

They're going off of past history. But so far, there is nothing to pinpoint US involvement in any of this.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2019, 11:40:53 PM »

They're going off of past history. But so far, there is nothing to pinpoint US involvement in any of this.

If anything, there seems to be a popular contagion effect going on in Latin America right now: Brazil, Chile, now Bolivia.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2019, 12:09:33 AM »

If anything, there seems to be a popular contagion effect going on in Latin America right now: Brazil, Chile, now Bolivia.

Ecuador, Haiti, Peru.
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2019, 07:06:48 AM »

Oddly enough, General Kaliman - head of the Armed Forces - was seen as a staunch Morales loyalist, which is why his decisions not to intervene at first (against the police revolt) and later to force Morales's resignation was stunning.

I read an article which suggested that although Morales had loyalists leading both institutions he had A. offended the army through measures such as political indoctrination, B. offended most of the police by not taking their side over an internal dispute with their leadership, and C. didn't count on the military not wanting to be responsible of a bloodbath if they were used to crush the protests (when the military did attempt this in a separate instance a few years ago - before Evo -, the military leadership was tried and sent to jail in the aftermath).

That sounded somewhat reasonable, though the explanation may be found elsewhere.

Note: The article I mentioned is the one that was cited before my post.

Evo also lost the support from a few other vital sectors in the last few days, e.g. yesterday the Central Over Boliviana, the main trade union confederation and a vital ally of Morales, asked for Evo to resign and for the members of the Electoral Court to be removed and put in trial a few hours before the statements saying basically the same things
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies