2019-2020 College Basketball Discussion and Pick 'em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:53:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2019-2020 College Basketball Discussion and Pick 'em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
Author Topic: 2019-2020 College Basketball Discussion and Pick 'em Thread  (Read 32146 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: March 07, 2020, 02:43:45 PM »

I was really dreaming of a Bradley-Loyola final. Sad, but go Braves!

I still feel really strongly that UConn is among the best teams in the American and deserves to be at least co-favourites, but their fans seem a bit delusional about their hot streak by counting wins over USF and ECU and ignoring losses to Temple because OT. Bouknight has legitimately come on strong as a freshman though.

The A-10 is also a place where people anticipate havoc. Saint Louis as the 4 seed is a popular pick to cause match-up problems for Dayton. Davidson was hot until they got manhandled by Richmond, who could be their opponent in the 2-7 game. I also love this Bonnies team, but I don't see them stopping Dayton if they get past Saint Louis - they are young, so next year will be their time. Richmond over Saint Louis would be my pick.

C-USA, CAA and Sun Belt are also probably some of the ones I am seriously looking out for a handful of 4 or lower seeds though that's not necessarily uncommon. For a shock, maybe the Big West. Irvine has been merely ok against a bunch of very mediocre teams so I would't be shocked if they slip up
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #426 on: March 07, 2020, 03:15:55 PM »

Kentucky, down 18 at Florida with 12 minutes left, came back to win 71-70.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #427 on: March 07, 2020, 03:44:53 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2020, 03:57:13 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Review of Preseason Polls time! Some of the worst picks singled out.

American: 1A. Houston 1B. Memphis 3. Cincinnati 4. Wichita State 5. USF 6. UConn 7. Temple 8. SMU 9. UCF 10. Tulsa 11. ECU 12. Tulane - Three very serious Final Four contenders and a highly thought of team returning to prominence in Wichita. Each of the next three will have their chances to make their case, but I think this will ultimately be top-heavy.

TULSA got no respect! In such a weak conference. The most unlikely of champions! The analytics still like Houston; Memphis was harmed by eligibility. Cincinnati's coaching change went far from seamlessly early on.

Atlantic 10: 1. VCU 2. Davidson 3. Dayton 4. Rhode Island 5. St. Bonnies 6. Richmond 7. Saint Louis 8. Duquesne 9. George Mason 10. La Salle 11. UMass 12. George Washington 13. St. Joseph's 14. Fordham

VCU LOL. Davidson playing to their true potential all season long would probably make this look OK, but they are predicting results not final talent. Move those two behind Duquesne, and we wouldn't feel like idiots.

ACC: 1. Duke 2. UNC 3. Louisville 4. Virginia 5. Florida State 6. NC State 7. Notre Dame 8. Syracuse 9. Miami 10. Pitt 11. Clemson 12. Georgia Tech 13. Boston College 14. Virginia Tech 15. Wake Forest - Three very serious national title contenders and two ol' reliable teams. The depth of this conference will rely on the next three because the expectations are very low for the bottom half. I am glad the media is hyping Notre Dame's return, but I definitely have some question marks there.

UNC is going to be dead last, which is public knowledge. But just as bad is Georgia Tech pulling out a sneaky fifth place finish despite being ineligible for postseason play and picked 12th. Just Pastner's luck...

Big East: 1. Seton Hall 2. Villanova 3. Xavier 4. Marquette 5. Providence 6. Georgetown 7. Creighton 8. Butler 9. St. John's 10. DePaul - Seven contenders hope to get at least six bids and perhaps some wins to improve on last year's epic disappointments.

It's not an awful pick because the conference just wound up being much better than expected, but Creighton in 7th and potentially winning the conference today (or at least third place) is a big miss. Butler is also a miss given that they are fighting for a four seed in the NCAA Tournament but as not far off from the final conference placement.

Big Ten: 1. Michigan State 2. Maryland 3. Ohio State 4. Purdue 5. Michigan 6. Wisconsin 7. Illinois 8. Iowa 9. Penn State 10. Indiana 11. Minnesota 12. Rutgers 13. Nebraska 14. Northwestern - My spring forecast flipped Minnesota and Wisconsin - I know Wisconsin tends to find hidden gems, but the loss of Happ is enormous - and slotted Iowa four slots higher. I pegged it as an eight bid league at the time, which feels slightly high. I think Illinois can get it done. I am less certain that Penn State is capable should the Illini fail.

Purdue is really the worst you can fault here if they finish 10th by losing to Rutgers today. We expected the conference to be deep, and it was deeper than ever thought possible. I am more embarrassed by my own preseason love for Minnesota and failing to believe in co-champion Wisconsin. So bundled that the coaches picks are largely right.

Colonial: 1. Hofstra 2. Charleston 3. Northeastern 4. James Madison 5. Delaware - Hofstra loses their star and plays perhaps too light a schedule. Every game is winnable including UCLA, but I think everyone will take multiple lumps in conference play to prevent an at-large. I see a new winner this year.

I can't fault them given the depth, but leaving Wiliam & Mary out of the top five looks rough in hindsight when JAMES MADISON (2-16) got included. I will accept my accolades on UCLA being ripe for Hofstra's picking, but I deny that I ever said a new (regular season) champion would arise this season. Tongue

C-USA: 1. WKU 2. UTSA 3. Louisiana Tech 4A. UTEP 4B. Old Dominion 6. UAB ---- UTEP returns?! KenPom loves them too. I've awaited this for so long! But the story will be if WKU can compete with higher rated Cincinnati, Arkansas, Belmont and URI in order to build a bubbly resume.

I will not criticize the UTEP pick given that there were chemistry and discipline issues that prevented greatness, but they are tied for 10th with UTSA, which I never understood! North Texas wound up being the good Texas team!! (At least they knew Rice would be bad.) Charlotte also shocked us by being back ahead of schedule.

MAAC: 1. Iona 2. Rider 3. Quinnipiac 4. Monmouth 5. Manhattan 6. Siena - Really hoping this will be Baker Dunleavy's breakout season at QU! He is surrounded by all the traditional powers (save Niagara) plus recent breakout program, Rider though the coaches see this as a two horse race.

No respect for ultimate champion Siena and even less respect for St. Peter's who finished a close second. Iona was down in sixth. They picked the wrong traditional programs in first and sixth!

MVC: 1. Missouri State 2. Bradley 3. UNI 4. Loyola (IL) - The Ramblers did bring in a nationally ranked recruiting class but will be very young.

Naturally Missouri State, the sixth seed, will probably be in the MVC championship. I think they are talented but just underperformed and that the other three are clearly the cream of the crop.

Patriot: 1. Colgate 2. Bucknell 3. American - Second place may be the most interesting race to watch. Colgate got a national AP vote, and it wasn't an accident!!

Bucknell was awful finishing seventh but naturally beat American to reach the PL Semifinals. Watch them reach the finale....

Pac-12: 1. Oregon 2. Colorado 3. Washington 4. Arizona 5. USC 6. Arizona State 7. Oregon State 8. UCLA 9. Utah 10. Stanford 11. Washington State 12. Cal - Has the turnaround year finally arrived?! The hype says the same thing as I said for the Big 12 - Seven contenders fighting for about five bids though I remain slightly skeptical of Colorado's miraculous growth this quickly.

UCLA, picked eight, goes for the conference title tonight. No criticizing Washington due to the ineligibility of Quade Green. Was expecting Arizona to be an underperformer but they came out right on target. Stanford barely overperformed (similar to Oklahoma).

Southland: 1. New Orleans 2. Sam Houston State 3. Abilene Christian 4. Stephen F. Austin

Perhaps the worst conference pick of all is...drumroll please... New Orleans which enters the day tied for 12th!!!!! Nicholls eventually joined the others in the top four and Stephen F. Austin ran away with it.

Sun Belt: 1. South Alabama 2. Georgia Southern 3. Texas-Arlington (average of three media polls)

South Alabama was a really good pick, but a complete WHIFF on Little Rock which was largely picked 11th/12th. This surpasses Tulsa for the most impressive overperformance and may even surpass New Orleans for most spectacular overall miss as well.

Fewer complaints on the below conferences:

America East: 1. Vermont 2. UMBC 3. Stony Brook 4. Albany - Vermont is a heavy favourite but is not expected to compete for an at-large.

A-Sun: 1. Liberty 2. North Florida 3. Florida Gulf Coast

Big Sky (Coaches): 1. EWU 2. Montana 3. Weber State - The media picked EWU third.

Big 12: 1. Kansas 2. Baylor 3. Texas Tech 4. Texas 5. West Virginia 6. Oklahoma State 7. Iowa State 8. Oklahoma 9. Kansas State 10. TCU - not my expertise, but is it possible to be underrated Chris Beard still? Baylor has a bit to replace. Top seven could all contend, but likely down to a five bid year.

Big West: 1. UC-Irvine 2. UC-Santa Barbara 3. Cal State-Northridge 4. Hawaii

Horizon: 1. Wright State 2. NKU 3. UIC 4. Oakland 5. Green Bay

Ivy: 1. Harvard 2. Penn 3. Yale 4. Princeton - I think they got this right, and I don't think #1 will be particularly close - the Orlando Invitational will be fun to compete against other bubble teams, but I don't think Harvard will leave any doubt. Watch out for Gabe Stefanini and Columbia who could stealthily push for second/third and a coveted spot in Ivy Madness in Cambridge.

MEAC: 1. NC Central 2. Bethune-Cookman 3A. Norfolk State 3B. North Carolina A+T - one of the closest votes!

MWC: 1. Utah State 2. San Diego State 3. New Mexico 4. Nevada 5. Boise State - While most feel Utah State is solidly in, SDSU and New Mexico could spend all season long on the bubble if the hype is actually for real this time. Nevada could fight for a spot but nearly fell behind Boise in the poll, so expectations do not involve a return to the Big Dance.

NEC: 1. LIU-Brooklyn 2. Sacred Heart 3. St. Francis (PA) - RMU picked fifth. You could almost reverse the order of these teams!

OVC: 1. Belmont 2. Murray State 3. Jacksonville State 4. Austin Peay 5. UT-Martin - Belmont had a bit of trouble scheduling tough this year but has road trips to BC, Alabama, Saint Louis and WKU plus their home and home with Lipscomb, but this team is every bit as legit as last year's team. Murray and JSU will certainly continue giving them fits so put them on bubble watch immediately!

SEC: 1. Kentucky 2. Florida 3. LSU 4. Auburn 5. Tennessee 6. Alabama 7. Mississippi State 8. Ole Miss 9. Georgia 10. South Carolina 11. Arkansas 12. Texas A&M 13. Mizzou 14. Vanderbilt - The SEC is so deep that no team would truly surprise me by making the Tournament, and they may push for 8 bids. Isn't Georgia criminally underrated though? No respect for Tom Crean!

SoCon: 1. ETSU 2. UNC-Greensboro 3. Furman 4. Wofford

SWAC: 1. Prairie View A&M 2. Texas Southern 3. Grambling State 4. Alabama State

Summit: 1. North Dakota State 2. South Dakota 3. Oral Roberts 4. Omaha 5. South Dakota State

WCC: 1. Gonzaga 2. St. Mary's 3. BYU 4. Pepperdine 5. Santa Clara - I think we all know how this conference goes by now Smiley

WAC: 1. New Mexico State 2. Grand Canyon 3. Seattle

I will defend my Columbia (1-13) comment by saying that Gabe Stefanini had a season ending injury before the season even began. Yes, one player made that much difference Smiley Mike Smith couldn't do it alone.

I have no excuse for criticizing the media for having Georgia too low. I will never bet on Tom Crean again. Anthony Edwards was great fun to watch.

This is all in jest, and I do think the coaches did better than me, but more reason to let the games be played.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #428 on: March 07, 2020, 07:35:13 PM »

Utah State wins the MWC final on a 3-pointer by Sam Merrill with 2.6 seconds left.  USU trailed by 16 in the first half.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #429 on: March 07, 2020, 11:00:22 PM »

Utah State wins the MWC final on a 3-pointer by Sam Merrill with 2.6 seconds left.  USU trailed by 16 in the first half.

Utah St. might have still got in without the win, but that locks it, obviously.  In a way, SDSU might prefer to be the West #2 instead of #1 East.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #430 on: March 08, 2020, 11:33:09 AM »

Watching the Houston-Memphis game on CBS, which was reported as a sellout but has quite a few empty seats.  People staying away because of the virus?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #431 on: March 09, 2020, 07:19:24 AM »

*** FINAL PICK'EM RESULTS ***

Sprouts finished off his winning season with a dominant performance in the final week:

18 Sprouts
15 JGibson, sjoyce
14 YE
13 GeorgiaModerate, Illiniwek

The average score was a respectable 14.7, the best in several weeks.

Unanimous picks:

Missouri State-Indiana State (wrong)
Villanova-Georgetown
Kansas-Texas Tech
Creighton-Seton Hall
Duke-North Carolina
Oregon-Stanford
Illinois-Iowa

Games with one dissenter (asterisk = dissenter was right):

Bowling Green-Buffalo (*)
Baylor-West Virginia (*)
Xavier-Butler (*)
Maryland-Michigan
Michigan State-Ohio State
Oral Roberts-Omaha

Final overall standings (449 total games):

275 Sprouts
263 GeorgiaModerate
251 Illiniwek
250 JGibson
240 sjoyce
192 YE
152 dfw
98 RINO Tom
36 Sunrise

The best weekly performance was 20-5 (Sprouts and YE).  The worst was 8-16.  Sprouts was also the most frequent weekly winner (six times), followed by JGibson and me with four each.

That was fun!  Thanks to those who stuck with it through the long season.

Now, is anyone going to run an NCAA tournament contest?

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #432 on: March 10, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »

The Ivy League canceled its men's and women's basketball conference tournaments Tuesday because of concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

The four-team tournaments were scheduled to be played Friday through Sunday at Lavietes Pavilion in Cambridge. The Ivy League instead will award its automatic NCAA Tournament bids to the regular-season champions, the Princeton women and Yale men.

The tournaments are the first at the Division I basketball level to be canceled by the coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28877858/ivy-league-cancels-conference-basketball-tournaments-coronavirus
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #433 on: March 10, 2020, 03:51:37 PM »

There has been no one in the history of Ivy League basketball treated more unfairly the AJ Brodeur, who will go down as one of the greats. We can only hope he rightfully is awarded Ivy Player of the Year (last year's award was a farce). It's a close three horse race with Paul Atkinson as the frontunner because of who he plays for. But no one's impact is as great as Brodeur who run the whole inside-out offense from down-low. Mike Smith from Columbia is valuable and gets pity votes because his stats are harmed due to what he is surrounded with, but I think he will be third.

Fun Fact: Jim Boeheim's son Jimmy has a very strong chance to make first team All Ivy right behind this trio. Syracuse fans were furious that Buddy did not even receive votes for third team all ACC, and I think they have a point. Good chance he will get there next year.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #434 on: March 10, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »

Hofstra avenges Northeastern and breaks the 19 year drought which is looking like it may be one of the longest droughts ended this season via auto-bid.

The Hartford Hawks have never been to the NCAA Tournament. For just the second time in their 33 year history, they will advance to the conference title game after defeating Stony Brook. In 2008, they were defeated by UMBC in a battle between bidless teams. In 2020, they will have to dethrone Vemont, the king of the conference.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #435 on: March 11, 2020, 02:50:02 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #436 on: March 11, 2020, 03:34:07 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2020, 03:45:05 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

Deleted earlier tweet suggesting the tournament would be canceled entirely.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #437 on: March 11, 2020, 06:32:29 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #438 on: March 12, 2020, 04:41:45 PM »

It's official.  The tournament has been canceled, and the season is over.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #439 on: March 13, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »

Too bad, this was the yr of the Zags and now they cant win, bad luck.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #440 on: March 14, 2020, 04:01:37 PM »

Anyone else feeling really dispirited about no basketball today?

On the plus side, I've gotten a lot done around the house.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #441 on: March 14, 2020, 05:56:16 PM »

Rick Pitino to Iona.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #442 on: March 20, 2020, 10:52:11 AM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #443 on: April 01, 2020, 02:17:05 PM »

I really wish they would have ceremoniously announced the field that made the Tournament.  I say that not only as an Illini fan that wanted to see our uncharacteristically long drought (since 2013) come to an end but also as a fan very sympathetic to a program like Rutgers and how much they deserved a bid/how meaningful it would be to hang that banner in their arena.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #444 on: April 01, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »

I really wish they would have ceremoniously announced the field that made the Tournament.  I say that not only as an Illini fan that wanted to see our uncharacteristically long drought (since 2013) come to an end but also as a fan very sympathetic to a program like Rutgers and how much they deserved a bid/how meaningful it would be to hang that banner in their arena.
I feel that, but it's definitely something they couldn't do without playing the conference tournaments. Memphis or Wichita State, for example, could've made enough of a run in the AAC tournament to bump them from the last four out to the last four in — doesn't seem fair that they'd go down in history as having missed the tournament when they very well could've made it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #445 on: April 03, 2020, 09:52:03 AM »

Zags, lose it again, but this time on a pandemic
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #446 on: June 12, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »

Alerting Smilo

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #447 on: June 12, 2020, 05:00:17 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2020, 08:27:06 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Thank you, YE. If you have ever transgressed against me, that is now forgiven because this is the news I have been waiting for my entire life (well since the Highlanders went D1). What a perfect fit! This is even more interesting given the recent news of the Atlantic Sun looking to have its members form a new conference while leaving the shell of the Atlantic Sun for other random deep south teams. I think NJIT was an important part of that announcement since it required seven teams who have played together for so many seasons. Now that dream may be dead.

Of course, the move of FAMU from the MEAC to the SWAC was just as monumental. The MEAC is left with just Bethune-Cookman and NC Central as its powerhouse teams (who might be able and, for BCC, eager to join their old rivals in the SWAC and Big South, respectively), South Carolina State* and Howard (who have enough status to latch on somewhere) and five complete retreads who are actually geographically close but cannot be a conference on their own.

Norfolk State has the most memorable success of those five basketball programs (Coppin State also pulled off a much less memorable 2-15 long ago), but there is a strong possibility of their demise after so much hope of a budding rivalry with Hampton Sad I really hope they do not drop down to D2 CIAA because they are homeless, but this looks like a very possible scenario. Definitely a fan of what NSU built.

Delaware State, Coppin State, UMES and Morgan State have largely been terrible (except a couple one-off years for Morgan State in football), and I would not be surprised if they drop to D2. The CIAA is actually a pretty good fit for most of them.

As they are all publics, there was some discussion of them joining up with the America East as well. A "Southern" division with UMBC, Stony Brook and now NJIT would limit the number of trips up to Maine and Vermont. But the two football programs are nowhere near good enough to compete in the Colonial with Maine, SBU, UNH and Albany and might have to be cancelled. Even then, the basketball programs are barely good enough to absorb all at once and with struggling finances, I'm not sure those programs would be long for this world in an arrangement no better than the status quo when the CIAA is calling with fewer sports requirements and less travel. Delaware State is financially the healthiest so NEC might have interest. Coppin State with the worst financial state and no football to offer looks to be worst positioned.

Keep your eyes on the MEAC and Atlantic Sun! Lots of news is sure to come.

*While South Carolina State has been a successful athletic program and is capable of competing with most other conferences, their financial state is rather dire as well, and the CIAA is a very logical geographic fit. They could make a willing choice to move down.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #448 on: June 12, 2020, 05:33:33 PM »

More relevant for basketball:

Robert Morris announced yesterday that they are leaving the NEC for the Horizon League. As an SFC fan, I am ecstatic about no more long trips to the perennial power in Moon Township. They'll go from the best program in the NEC to about the third or fourth best program in the Horizon so hooray for competition and better regionalization!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #449 on: June 13, 2020, 06:51:23 AM »

I've had a warm feeling for Robert Morris ever since the year they knocked off defending national champion Kentucky in the first round of the NIT.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies