2019-2020 College Basketball Discussion and Pick 'em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2021, 04:48:12 AM

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Mikado, YE)
  2019-2020 College Basketball Discussion and Pick 'em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]
Author Topic: 2019-2020 College Basketball Discussion and Pick 'em Thread  (Read 26650 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: June 12, 2020, 05:00:17 PM »
« edited: June 12, 2020, 08:27:06 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Thank you, YE. If you have ever transgressed against me, that is now forgiven because this is the news I have been waiting for my entire life (well since the Highlanders went D1). What a perfect fit! This is even more interesting given the recent news of the Atlantic Sun looking to have its members form a new conference while leaving the shell of the Atlantic Sun for other random deep south teams. I think NJIT was an important part of that announcement since it required seven teams who have played together for so many seasons. Now that dream may be dead.

Of course, the move of FAMU from the MEAC to the SWAC was just as monumental. The MEAC is left with just Bethune-Cookman and NC Central as its powerhouse teams (who might be able and, for BCC, eager to join their old rivals in the SWAC and Big South, respectively), South Carolina State* and Howard (who have enough status to latch on somewhere) and five complete retreads who are actually geographically close but cannot be a conference on their own.

Norfolk State has the most memorable success of those five basketball programs (Coppin State also pulled off a much less memorable 2-15 long ago), but there is a strong possibility of their demise after so much hope of a budding rivalry with Hampton Sad I really hope they do not drop down to D2 CIAA because they are homeless, but this looks like a very possible scenario. Definitely a fan of what NSU built.

Delaware State, Coppin State, UMES and Morgan State have largely been terrible (except a couple one-off years for Morgan State in football), and I would not be surprised if they drop to D2. The CIAA is actually a pretty good fit for most of them.

As they are all publics, there was some discussion of them joining up with the America East as well. A "Southern" division with UMBC, Stony Brook and now NJIT would limit the number of trips up to Maine and Vermont. But the two football programs are nowhere near good enough to compete in the Colonial with Maine, SBU, UNH and Albany and might have to be cancelled. Even then, the basketball programs are barely good enough to absorb all at once and with struggling finances, I'm not sure those programs would be long for this world in an arrangement no better than the status quo when the CIAA is calling with fewer sports requirements and less travel. Delaware State is financially the healthiest so NEC might have interest. Coppin State with the worst financial state and no football to offer looks to be worst positioned.

Keep your eyes on the MEAC and Atlantic Sun! Lots of news is sure to come.

*While South Carolina State has been a successful athletic program and is capable of competing with most other conferences, their financial state is rather dire as well, and the CIAA is a very logical geographic fit. They could make a willing choice to move down.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2020, 05:33:33 PM »

More relevant for basketball:

Robert Morris announced yesterday that they are leaving the NEC for the Horizon League. As an SFC fan, I am ecstatic about no more long trips to the perennial power in Moon Township. They'll go from the best program in the NEC to about the third or fourth best program in the Horizon so hooray for competition and better regionalization!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Star

« Reply #452 on: June 13, 2020, 06:51:23 AM »

I've had a warm feeling for Robert Morris ever since the year they knocked off defending national champion Kentucky in the first round of the NIT.
MR. KAYNE WEST
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica

Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #453 on: June 14, 2020, 12:17:04 AM »

Fantasy Leagues are going bust during a Pandemic and no end in sight
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #454 on: June 20, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »

"Oh my goodn- GOODNESS GRACIOUS! Of all the dramatic thi- Of all the dramatic things, I've ever seen, Bethune Cookman in the middle of a pandemic convening the Board of Trustees announcing they want to leave the MEAC! Bethune-Cookman might be a SWAC school!" - Suzyn Stevyn Waldman

Well, at least HBCU GameDay heavily implies SWAC preference. It might be Atlantic Sun, which would be really great for travel but not nearly as fun for football.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
United States

« Reply #455 on: July 01, 2020, 06:06:24 PM »

I am still depressed over both Josh Christopher and Isiah Todd breaking my heart
MR. KAYNE WEST
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica

Political Matrix

« Reply #456 on: July 05, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »

I just started watching basketball and baseball on Sportscenter, it does suck without crowd noise
MR. KAYNE WEST
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: July 09, 2020, 05:59:19 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2020, 08:37:19 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Ivy League schools shutting down sports for the fall, ths put a pall on Fantasy Sports League
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #458 on: August 01, 2020, 08:08:42 AM »

WOW, I hope we can have some type of season ... Illinois will be knocking at the door of a preseason top 10 ranking if Kofi Cockburn announces hes returning (along with Ayo) today...
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Star

« Reply #459 on: August 01, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »

My guess right now is that there will be a season, but it won't start until January.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #460 on: August 02, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Star

« Reply #461 on: August 02, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »

The Big 10 looks loaded this year.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »

Jon Rothstein's updated "Rothstein 45" (B1G teams only):

3. Iowa
5. Wisconsin
7. Illinois
11. Michigan State
21. Rutgers
24. Indiana

26. Ohio State
37. Michigan
42. Purdue

That would be NINE Big Ten teams clearly in the NCAA Tournament, and you know another Bubble team or two are squeaking in.  This Big Ten is going to be the toughest it's been since the glory days of the '80s, IMO.  As an Illini fan, that preseason ranking feels surreal ... it's the highest we have had since I was in seventh grade, haha (2004-05).  GOD, I hope there is a season!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »

My guess right now is that there will be a season, but it won't start until January.

There really shouldn't be a season at all.

Especially at the college ranks, having a season would put student-athletes's lives at risk for profit.

I was opposed to having professional sports before a vaccine was developed and distributed to the general population, and I am very much opposed to college sports having any season of any kind before a vaccine is developed and distributed to the general public.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #464 on: August 05, 2020, 03:09:37 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2020, 03:27:34 PM by RINO Tom »

There really shouldn't be a season at all.

Especially at the college ranks, having a season would put student-athletes's lives at risk for profit.

I was opposed to having professional sports before a vaccine was developed and distributed to the general population, and I am very much opposed to college sports having any season of any kind before a vaccine is developed and distributed to the general public.

Pausing life until a vaccine is administered to more than 50% of the population is nothing short of naive.  IF and when there is a vaccine, there should be an immediate shelter-in-place order for anyone over a certain age (say, 70?) or with any pre-existing conditions ... everyone else should be told to wash their hands, be careful and return to daily life.  Period.  If someone who doesn't fit those descriptions is worried and would like to stay home, they are more than welcome to ... and they can kindly shut up about everyone else.  Otherwise, we will spend the next two years continuing to destroy our economy and conflate the non-physical-health side effects of this pandemic.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #465 on: August 31, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »

RIP John Thompson, who has passed away at just age 78, two days shy of his birthday and three years and a day after Rollie Massimino. I sure hope the remaining members of the brotherhood are able to get together to celebrate his incredible life.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies