If the Confederacy had won at the Battle of Gettysburg (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:10:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If the Confederacy had won at the Battle of Gettysburg (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the Confederacy had won at the Battle of Gettysburg  (Read 762 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: October 21, 2019, 08:25:34 PM »

There was never any realistic hope for a Southern victory at Gettysburg after the first day. While by no means unimportant, Gettysburg has been overstated in the popular imagination as the absolute moment when the Civil War was won. By the second day, the best Lee could hope for was a draw —and a draw was enough to send the ANV fleeing south at Antietam the year before. Considering also that a different result in Pennsylvania would not prevent Grant from taking Vicksburg, I'd go so far as to say that Gettysburg is not the "turning point" we should find most interesting. That said, I will conditionally endorse Yankee's point that a major mistake by the Union high command could have change the result of the battle, though of course it's impossible to assess the likelihood of such an event with any certainty.

I'm really not interested in rehashing the "mean imperialist Yankees vs. chivalrous Southern gentlemen" take on the Civil War, but in general, LOL at the notion that Robert E. Lee is insufficiently deified in our history books.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies