Have the Louisiana primary results for the state legislature been published yet?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:53:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Have the Louisiana primary results for the state legislature been published yet?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Have the Louisiana primary results for the state legislature been published yet?  (Read 366 times)
diptheriadan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »

The only place i've been able to find a full list of every state house/senate primary is from the New York Times, but i've read through my 3 free articles. Every other website (including the LA SOS) only contains a select few.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »

Not every purple seat is competitive between the parties, in fact they are all mostly DvD and RvR.

Interestingly there is a three-way runoff in one of the BR suburb seats between three R's, because the guys who came  in second and third tied.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 09:53:10 PM »

I heard the statewide legislative vote was 65R/34D?

Regarding the supermajority, I could see Republicans picking up the 2 rural HDs they need but there's also 2 R incumbents facing Dems in New Orleans and Baton Rouge inner suburbs seats that are probably the closest thing Louisiana has to TX-32 or GA-06.  If JBE wins statewide, he should win those seats easily and that probably flips at least one of them.     
diptheriadan

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »

So for those that are more informed of Louisiana politics than I am, is Julie Emerson (R) of the House's 39th district some sort of particularly strong incumbent?

She faced Paul "Polo" Carter this year and managed some 70% of the vote, as opposed to the ~200 vote majority she got after defeating Stephen Ortego in 2015. I initally thought this was just a case of depressed turnout, but apparently more people voted this year than 2015.

Maybe Stephen Ortego was the anomaly. Or maybe its just because he's white and Carter's black.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 09:57:20 PM »

So for those that are more informed of Louisiana politics than I am, is Julie Emerson (R) of the House's 39th district some sort of particularly strong incumbent?

She faced Paul "Polo" Carter this year and managed some 70% of the vote, as opposed to the ~200 vote majority she got after defeating Stephen Ortego in 2015. I initally thought this was just a case of depressed turnout, but apparently more people voted this year than 2015.

Maybe Stephen Ortego was the anomaly. Or maybe its just because he's white and Carter's black.

Typical case of Dixiecratic districts. Ortego was the incumbent before 2015, so the GOP struggled to break his majority. On they did though, there is no going back to the old way, the GOP voters have their candidate. You see this all across the south and even saw it on election night in Dem-defence SD-38.
diptheriadan

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 09:59:49 PM »

Even for a one-term incumbent like Ortego? Jeez. I always thought the case with the district was that it was black & working class enough to provide the Democrats with a working majority.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies