President Kerry - Election Night 2004.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:50:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  President Kerry - Election Night 2004.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Kerry - Election Night 2004.  (Read 1767 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2005, 05:49:19 PM »

After a long and protracted night of returns, on 3rd November 2004, Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts is declared the winner of the U.S. Presidential election. Kerry carries Ohio by 59,300 votes to win the Electoral College 271-266 over President George W. Bush.

However, a curious feat has repeated itself; in 2000, when Bush defeated Vice President Al Gore, he won the Electoral College but lost the popular vote. Now, Kerry has done the same. As the 3rd November dawns Bush leads in the popular vote. TV news reports Kerry the winner, tentatively, as NBC, ABC, CBS and finally FOX agree that Kerry will become the nation's 44th President. Following this confirmation, at 2.53am Kerry walks out of his Boston home hand in hand with his wife Teresa, followed by his two daughters and his wife's three sons.

Kerry gives a short speech claiming victory, saying "I spoke with George Bush on the phone a few minutes ago, and he congratulated me as the winner of our contest. I would like to thank him for his graciousness and to claim victory for myself. It has been a tremendous effort on both sides. Our nation has expressed a desire for change; the right kind of change, change that recognises our values and traditions while building the road ahead to the rest of the 21st century. I would like to say thank you to my country and to say this also, I will try to vindicate the decision you have made. I know that as a people, we have some divisions in America today yet when I govern I will do all I can to heal them. God bless you all and God bless our great country."

While the crowd in Boston enthusiastically chears, on television some analysts express surprise that Kerry claimed victory before Bush officially conceded. Republican strategist Ed Rollins tells FOX "Its a disappointment to lose, but its a greater disappointment when your opponent kicks you when your down. This kind of reaction isn't worthy of the American system or her people". There are also briefly expressed fears that the spectacle of the 2000 election will be recreated; recounts, suits and political uncertainty in the country. These doubts are soon allayed, however, when cameras pan to the White House where at 3.03am President Bush appears to concede.

"Let me first say that I offer Senator Kerry my congratulations. We spoke on the phone a while ago and I wished him well. I would like to thank my supporters for all their hard work in recent days, and to ask them to pray for America and for the Senator. I would like to thank and bless the American people as a whole. This is their decision, and I respect them." The President appears solemn and speaks carefully, at his left shoulder stands his wife Laura who smiles between her husband and the cameras. The President's daughters are also present. At the end of his statement the President grasps his family firmly, and they embrace before the cameras.

As the night draws on, Vice President Dick Cheney and Vice President-elect John Edwards issue statements to the press. Cheney's, issued at 3.12am, reads: 'The people have made an important decision tonight. The President and I are honoured to have served our nation during testing times. While thanking all those citizens who voted for us, we would like to congratulate Senator Kerry and give him a smooth period of transition as President-elect. God bless America. Senator John Edwards himself appears outisde the Sheraton Hotel in Washington, D.C. at 3.36am. Standing alone, the Vice President-elect reads from a short bulletin "God bless you all and God bless America. President-elect Kerry and I are honoured to have been given the opportunity to govern this great nation. President Bush has been a spirited opponent, and his concession was noble in the great spirit of our Republic. We wish him all the best and pray for him. The people have spoken, and we are ready to hear them again." Edwards then proceeds to answer questions from the press. On a night in which the Republicans gained 4 seats in the Senate and 3 in the House of Representatives, Edwards is asked if the new President will find it hard to govern and pass his legislative programme, and if he will find it hard to preside over a Congress controlled by the opposition. "Well I think we will have to work together for the country. We are a nation at war, and there is much that needs to be done. We are very keen to begin the transition process and to meet with Congressional leaders to oversee a cooperative new session." He is also asked, how, as it appears to be becoming more clear that Kerry will be a President with no popular electoral mandate, he can hope to lead and unite a divided nation. "We have just held a very important contest", replies Edwards. "But now its over. We are ready to do business and ready to take up the reins come January. I think that the fair spirit of the people means that they will give us a chance and get behind us for the good of America." A follow-up is asked to the last question, has the defeat of the incumbent President, elected without an electoral mandate and also in the midst of a war, set a precedent? "I do not know if precedent is the right word. Americans have made a choice, but we are aware that there our differences of opinion in this nation. Together, we believe we can lead all the people to peace and prosperity under the flag of America, united." Following this Edwars says he will answer no more questions, and, waving to the crowds, goes back inside the Sheraton.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 05:56:28 PM »

I think this belongs in the What-If forum. Pretty good, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies