Zero Inflation: Does it pay for itself? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:16:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Zero Inflation: Does it pay for itself? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Zero Inflation: Does it pay for itself?  (Read 1258 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 01, 2019, 05:45:48 PM »

This is insane. Inflation is already way to low as it is, bringing it up to it's 4-5% average it was in the postwar era would be a very good thing, especially for the working class.
Inflation artificially fixes wages and boosts inequality at great cost to the Average Joe, as well as those without access to banking services. It funds a kind of GDP growth that sends wealth straight to the top, and, if eliminated, would be replaced by economic growth that boosts wages, not prices.

If we used a consumption tax, standardized, we could use it as a means of a tax bonus in times of recessions, instead of running up prices.

Uh, no, inflation is a byproduct of wage growth. Low inflation has only ever been achieved through "wage moderation" (which is a polite way for "squeezing the workers for all they're worth to prop up corporate profits"). Inflation is also the only way to alleviate the unjust burden imposed on debtors by capitalist usurers. And consumption taxes are regressive.

Spoken like someone who never heard of, let alone never experienced, stagflation.

While wage growth can be one cause of inflation, it is not the only possible cause.

Also "usury" is the price paid by those without sufficient fiscal resources to achieve some current want now instead of later to lenders to allow lendees to use the resources to achieve the lendee's wants instead of the lenders. Interest only really becomes problematic when people need to borrow for ordinary needs, and there are far better solutions to that problem than punishing lenders, whether that be by deliberately high inflation or confiscatory taxes.

The archaic revulsion against charging interest that Marx oddly clung to despite his claims to be modern in his thought came from a time when most borrowing was done to achieve needs rather than wants. Time, despite it being non-corporeal, is a thing of value, so it makes sense that people should pay for the time value of money when they borrow money.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:38:51 PM »

How does it help workers to inflate away a percentage of the value of their savings?

Why do you assume that workers will get paid enuf to be able to have savings?

If you're going to argue "Think about the poor workers!" it's more broadly applicable to ask about the effects of inflation on the value of their wages. After all, inflation does effectively operate as a continuous stream of pay cuts.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »

How does it help workers to inflate away a percentage of the value of their savings?

If you're going to argue "Think about the poor workers!" it's more broadly applicable to ask about the effects of inflation on the value of their wages. After all, inflation does effectively operate as a continuous stream of pay cuts.

That's only if salaries don't keep up with inflation, and that only happens when workers become uncompetitive. Can't blame inflation for that.

I can't imagine any employer applying COLA on a per pay period basis, even if it had the data to do so.

I also note you ignored my point about the wrongness of assuming that even in a zero inflation regime that all workers will be able to have savings.  (Let alone whether they actually will save.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 04:38:00 AM »

That's only if salaries don't keep up with inflation, and that only happens when workers become uncompetitive. Can't blame inflation for that.

I can't imagine any employer applying COLA on a per pay period basis, even if it had the data to do so.

I also note you ignored my point about the wrongness of assuming that even in a zero inflation regime that all workers will be able to have savings.  (Let alone whether they actually will save.)

I don't care whether people save or not. I care about whether those who save find their funds depleted by inflation.

There are multiple ways to save that will protect your savings from inflation.  Hint: They all involve using something other than a mattress or the equivalent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies