Why Granholm will win
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:47:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why Granholm will win
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Granholm will win  (Read 1645 times)
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2005, 01:42:15 AM »

Dick DeVos, who will be the  republican nominee in 2006 (since he chased everyone else out of the primary) is going to lose.

Also this is Richard DeVos Jr  NOT SR (the really rich one)

I started this thread because some delusional people out there
(not on this site though) still think he can win.

I'm here to crush your dreams

First of all it fits almost all of the republican sterotypes, if you didn't know he's a rich businessman. 

The main issue should and will be the economy.  Now if you don't know much about the Michigan economy I will fill you in.  It's all about the auto industry and manufacturing here, which is losing money and shedding jobs and near bankruptcy.  Michigan hasn't created jobs in several years and things don't seem to be looking better anytime soon.  And this isn't just me being pessimistic either, it's the general mood of the state.  Personally I try to be opptimistic, but everyone you talk to is all doom and gloom.  People are very concerned.  Also the newspapers don't help,  if I had a dollar for every time the Detroit Free Press ran a story on the "death" of the Auto industry i'd be rich (there currently in the middle of a 7 day series on the auto industry).

Now DeVos (in my opinion) will have some good ideas to help the state economically, but I don't think he can get past the rich businessman image.  And i don't think he will connect to the voters, He will come across as the same kind of guy who fired all the workers at the auto companies and took millions in salary (this happened at Delphi where the company filied bankruptcy and wanted to pay the workers 9 dollars an hour but gave the company bosses big bonuses).

Also there's the whole issue of DeVos (Amway) and jobs in China, DeVos claims they were new jobs, others claim they were OUTSOURCED

DeVos also hasn't held political office either, he passes himself off as an "activist"  (aka me and my family donated millions the the party)

Also Since the republican party is retarted and will mistake Michigan for Utah, they will start attacking Granholm on social issues, seriously they will. but you can't win an election in michigan running on only a socially conservative platform. Don't do it Dick don't.

Now lets focus on Granholm,  the polls don't look good but she has several advantages, she's likeable, charismatic, people trust her more than a rich CEO, and I believe she can and will connect to the common voter more than DeVos.

Back to DeVos, personally some things that annoy me about him is, if you and your family donate enough money to the GOP you get to be the nominee for governor, we all know it here no onw will say it (where are you L. Brooks Patterson?)

And to top thngs off he's trying to pander to black voters by not supporting the anti affrimative action amendment on the ballot next year,

(Pause to laugh here)

Ha Blacks voting for a rich republican CEO because he supports affrimative action.

I'm also mad because he basically chased all the other 2 candidates away form the primary race after he annouced and I was planning on voting for one of them State Senator Nancy Cassis (Novi)  I don't know much about her but she's better than DeVos. I will most likely reluctantly vote DeVos.  2010 is only 4 years away and an open seat.

MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 01:54:27 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2005, 03:15:03 PM by Milk'n'Cereal »

most of this generally true.  But keep in mind, Granholm (according to the one poll is 43 on the list of governors.  She's no Bob Taft, but since the beginning of the year she hasn't had a good approval rating.

The thing is that Michigan is the lowest economically, while the rest of America has recovered from the recession.  People generally blame executives for this (whether or not they're responsible).  Henceforth Bush hasn't been blamed for the state of the economy lately, but since Michigan is still at a low, there's blame for Granholm.

True, the Michigan Republican Party has an IQ of about 65.  I wouldn't be surprized if Granholm was attacked on social issues. 

Prediction for 2006: the 2002 election -1% on the Republican side, +1% for Granholm.

What'd be really interesting is if a solid third party pick enters the ring...
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 12:45:49 PM »

if DeVos becomes governor it will be far more because Granholm lost than DeVos won.
RJ
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 11:42:17 PM »

The thing is that Michigan is the lowest economically, while the rest of America has recovered from the recession. 

I would not describe what's happening in Ohio as economic recovery.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Michigan Republican party is just aweful IMO, that's why!
CavanaughPark
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: 0.35

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 01:59:12 PM »

Granholm will be lucky to squeak by. She's the favorite for now but the days of dreaming to amend the Constitution to let her run for President are thankfully over.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »

The thing is that Michigan is the lowest economically, while the rest of America has recovered from the recession. 

I would not describe what's happening in Ohio as economic recovery.

perhaps not, but Michigan is lower than most states.  It just might be the case that Ohio is also up there in unemployment rate.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 03:55:05 PM »

My prediction
Granholm 52%
DeVos      48%
CavanaughPark
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: 0.35

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 04:04:46 PM »

According to the latest available, Michigan's unemployment rate (6.6%) is almost a full percentage point higher than Ohio's (5.7%) in November 2005. You don't have to call it economic recovery if you don't wish, but it's undeniable that Ohio's economy grew in a positive direction in 2005.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies