Are you concerned by the possibility of a Second US Civil War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:51:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are you concerned by the possibility of a Second US Civil War?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Are you concerned by the possibility of a Second US Civil War?  (Read 3219 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 01:53:36 AM »

Yes, I'm quite concerned that we will spiral into a civil war. Especially if either side decides to pack the Supreme Court, and/or if the Supreme Court gives us a neo-Lochner Era.

Can your average American tell you what the Lochner Era was? Or even what the Court decided in Lochner? RBG is the most prominent SCOTUS Justice with 25% name recognition. Americans do not care about the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court is important as the final arbiter of issues that aren't/can't be settled by elections. It's also important in a symbolic way as the top court in the land in that it represents the legitimacy of our entire legal system. Popular knowledge of the Lochner Era and the names of individual justices is irrelevant. What matters is that people have some confidence that the court will at least attempt to rule in a fair manner. Perhaps suprisingly to some on this forum, polling shows that people do have confidence in the Court.

If the Supreme Court loses its legitimacy with large portions of the public, we're going to be in real trouble. For example, imagine a scenario where the Supreme Court struck down Obamacare in 2012, and then decided the election for Romney in a Bush v. Gore-style decision. Or imagine a scenario where Democrats pack the Supreme Court, and the court rules adversely against a future Republican president in impeachment proceedings.

I suspect this is why Roberts voted to uphold Obamacare, and why I don't think he (or potentially Gorsuch or Alito) would vote to allow blatant Republican election rigging, such as if Wisconsin votes for Warren or Sanders but the legislature refuses to certify their electors.

Yeah, I don't have much in common with him ideologically, but I really respect Roberts for upholding Obamacare even while his four conservative colleagues voted to strike it down. Him being on the bench gives me a lot more faith in the Court than I would probably have otherwise.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »

Yes, I'm quite concerned that we will spiral into a civil war. Especially if either side decides to pack the Supreme Court, and/or if the Supreme Court gives us a neo-Lochner Era.

Can your average American tell you what the Lochner Era was? Or even what the Court decided in Lochner? RBG is the most prominent SCOTUS Justice with 25% name recognition. Americans do not care about the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court is important as the final arbiter of issues that aren't/can't be settled by elections. It's also important in a symbolic way as the top court in the land in that it represents the legitimacy of our entire legal system. Popular knowledge of the Lochner Era and the names of individual justices is irrelevant. What matters is that people have some confidence that the court will at least attempt to rule in a fair manner. Perhaps suprisingly to some on this forum, polling shows that people do have confidence in the Court.

If the Supreme Court loses its legitimacy with large portions of the public, we're going to be in real trouble. For example, imagine a scenario where the Supreme Court struck down Obamacare in 2012, and then decided the election for Romney in a Bush v. Gore-style decision. Or imagine a scenario where Democrats pack the Supreme Court, and the court rules adversely against a future Republican president in impeachment proceedings.

I suspect this is why Roberts voted to uphold Obamacare, and why I don't think he (or potentially Gorsuch or Alito) would vote to allow blatant Republican election rigging, such as if Wisconsin votes for Warren or Sanders but the legislature refuses to certify their electors.

Yeah, I don't have much in common with him ideologically, but I really respect Roberts for upholding Obamacare even while his four conservative colleagues voted to strike it down. Him being on the bench gives me a lot more faith in the Court than I would probably have otherwise.

What would it be like? I mean, the worse thing that could happen is that an adverse decision becomes the litmus test for the opposition, right?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 09:09:33 PM »

Also once you can legislate from the bench and cement conservative rule via guardianship of the jurists, control of the elected government almost becomes redundant.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 10:07:34 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2019, 10:16:51 PM by R.P. McM »

Don't embrace the useful idiot fetal position! What Roberts fears more than more than anything else is a majority party that categorical rejects the minority rule of racist white Christians. But he's a Republican first, an impartial jurist, a distant second. All of these Trumpist, fascist rodents want to persuade you that they're reasonable; that they're capable of principled, independent thought when the chips are on the line. But they're lying — all of them. Remember: Roberts neutered the VRA because he thought it would offer his party an electoral advantage. He's a PoS, just like the rest of them.  
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2019, 06:12:04 AM »

No, America is too civilized for a civil war right now.
Joe Poe 🌐
eaportela
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.81, S: -7.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »

I don't think civil war. But shall we see more lone wolf shootings, more political violence, more Nazis running protesters down with their cars... I think we will.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies