The Truman Tavern of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners 33 1/3: The Final Insult
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:32:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Truman Tavern of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners 33 1/3: The Final Insult
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: The Truman Tavern of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners 33 1/3: The Final Insult  (Read 20373 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »

Anyone who stands behind Trump now has absolutely no honor or integrity.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2020, 04:06:57 PM »

Hate Engel for putting Jews in this position. Fostering a relationship between black people and Jews, especially in New York where the history between the communities is delicate and sometimes unfourtunate, is one of the things I really want to see. This is just really damaging.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »

BIDEN: Look, if elected my view is that you will have to address these issues straight on. And the words the president says matter. So when a president stands up and divides people all the time, you're going to get the worst of us to come, the worst in us to come out. So when a president constantly talks about equality without lecturing, talks about and has an administration that looks like the country and the rest it changes attitudes. And it's about the attitude of the country. Do we want our kids -- do we really think that this is as good as we can be as a nation? I don't think the vast majority of people think that. There are probably anywhere from 10 to 15 percent of the people out there that are just not very good people. But that's not who we are. The vast majority of people are decent. We have to appeal to that and we have to unite people.

source
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2020, 03:40:39 AM »

Question - I don’t think either is a great choice, but why does Bottoms keep getting mentioned but not Bowser?
KLB is from Georgia, a swing state and supposedly she can help Biden win Georgia. Muriel Bowser is the mayor of DC, which is the most Democratic city in the country. Also, DC is not a state and not apart of any state.

It looks bad to pick VP purely for identity politics purpose.

Mike Pence was picked to appease Evangelicals, is that not "identity politics"?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2020, 09:55:38 PM »

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2020, 12:44:44 AM »

See that conservatives and Libertarians suddenly become fearful of the overreach of police Authority when it's used to actually PROTECT minorities. However when it's used to keep them in their place instead of protesting, of course the sky's the limit.

Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2020, 04:46:44 AM »

Quote from: George Orwell, Politics and the English Language
The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies ‘something not desirable’.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »

> Kansas elected a Democratic governor in 2018
> It has a pretty high concentration of college+ folks
> Bollier is raising ridiculous amounts of $$
> The GOP primary is extremely ugly right now
> Trump's own internals are showing him doing horrifically in the state

All of the evidence that we have points to the fact that this could be a real race. Anyone who denies it just not seeing what's in front of their face. I don't care that Kansas hasn't elected a Democratic senator in 70 or whatever years. 2020 is a different ballgame, and people should realize that by now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »

The fact that Atlas has an emotional attachment to a white supremacist and is upset at him getting banned is one of the most shameful things about this community.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »

I think one of the main reasons for decline in content quality has to do a lot with the recommend feature. I'll be the first to admit that my effort I put into posting is considerably lower than it was before the recommend feature being added and that the quality of most of my posts has greatly diminished, because the recommend feature is so much more rewarding towards snide jabs at other posters (of ideologies opposite towards your own, of course) and one-off quips than substantive analysis.

As for the analysis of polls, I think that has to do with the growing distrust of polls across both sides. It's easier to dismiss polls people don't like as junk when you have the discrepancy between state polling in 2016 and 2018 to look towards. Quality pollsters like PPP have started working more on a private commission basis, and for whatever reason the public polls they release tend to be more D friendly from what I've noticed. It just feels like there's less high quality polls than there used to be. And of course with that said, that invites more accusations of junk polls, especially if one result is so wildly off base from what the rest of the polls were saying (not that outlier polls are necessarily junk).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2020, 10:14:44 AM »

Credit where credit is due

*snip*

I'm fine with commutation of this sentence.  Stone deserves a new trial due to bias issues with the jury foreperson, but one isn't forthcoming due to the bias of an activist Obama appointee. *snip*

With all due respect, the quoted part of your post is "1+1= Eleventy-Twix" level absurd.  I mean, it simply has no objective basis in reality.  I'm sorry, but there is no way that any reasonable person could honestly believe the quoted part of your post unless they had been so blinded by partisanship that they were no longer capable of reacting to current events with any semblance of objectivity.  

The rule of law matters more than partisan loyalty, no matter who is in charge.  I know there was a time when you still knew this on some level because you opposed Kavanaugh's confirmation and I don't know what happened, but I really hope you put down the kool-aid because it has been really sad to watch.

You ask what's happened to me.

There are three (3) types of Atlas Left.  One is the deranged sort; runeghost, is the classic example, but there are others in his league.  (AtorBoltox comes to mind.)  They are unreachable, and they are the sort of people that give me the creeps in real life.  (Chancellor Gowron falls into this group; his hatred of Trump goes way beyond politics.)

The second (and larger type) are the Broken Record Technique Left.  Badger.  Harry.  Joe Republic.  Frodo (who has lied about me on this forum and refuses to acknowledge it).  Dr. Scholl.  The whole lot of Hyena Packers.  They repeat lies over and over again to where they become axioms.  You know this; you've SEEN this.  Between this group, and the group above, I don't expect anything more.

Then we come to the group that has actually disappointed me. It's the group of reasonable liberals who don't reflexively hate America who are needed to be the last bastion of common sense in America today that aren't showing up for that role because they can't get past their personal hatred for Trump.

As a member of the latter group, let me unequivocally affirm that nothing is more dear to me than the preservation of democracy and the rule of law. And Trump is, without question, the greatest threat to said principles in my lifetime. So your point is nonsensical — my personal distaste for Trump is a direct consequence of his appalling, authoritarian, treasonous behavior.

You're free to question my ideological bonafides, but let me assure you, I've never voted for Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. What you're failing to come to terms with is the degree to which Trump's disgraceful conduct has radicalized center-left Democrats, myself included. There seems to be this pipe dream on the right that everyone will forget about the Trump administration, and the GOP will successfully shirk responsibility. I'm afraid not.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2020, 01:48:04 AM »

The Republican Party is not a serious political organization.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »

Context needed, haha:

Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2020, 06:20:38 AM »

Credit where credit is due

*snip*

I'm fine with commutation of this sentence.  Stone deserves a new trial due to bias issues with the jury foreperson, but one isn't forthcoming due to the bias of an activist Obama appointee. *snip*

With all due respect, the quoted part of your post is "1+1= Eleventy-Twix" level absurd.  I mean, it simply has no objective basis in reality.  I'm sorry, but there is no way that any reasonable person could honestly believe the quoted part of your post unless they had been so blinded by partisanship that they were no longer capable of reacting to current events with any semblance of objectivity.  

The rule of law matters more than partisan loyalty, no matter who is in charge.  I know there was a time when you still knew this on some level because you opposed Kavanaugh's confirmation and I don't know what happened, but I really hope you put down the kool-aid because it has been really sad to watch.

You ask what's happened to me.

There are three (3) types of Atlas Left.  One is the deranged sort; runeghost, is the classic example, but there are others in his league.  (AtorBoltox comes to mind.)  They are unreachable, and they are the sort of people that give me the creeps in real life.  (Chancellor Gowron falls into this group; his hatred of Trump goes way beyond politics.)

The second (and larger type) are the Broken Record Technique Left.  Badger.  Harry.  Joe Republic.  Frodo (who has lied about me on this forum and refuses to acknowledge it).  Dr. Scholl.  The whole lot of Hyena Packers.  They repeat lies over and over again to where they become axioms.  You know this; you've SEEN this.  Between this group, and the group above, I don't expect anything more.

Then we come to the group that has actually disappointed me. It's the group of reasonable liberals who don't reflexively hate America who are needed to be the last bastion of common sense in America today that aren't showing up for that role because they can't get past their personal hatred for Trump.

As a member of the latter group, let me unequivocally affirm that nothing is more dear to me than the preservation of democracy and the rule of law. And Trump is, without question, the greatest threat to said principles in my lifetime. So your point is nonsensical — my personal distaste for Trump is a direct consequence of his appalling, authoritarian, treasonous behavior.

You're free to question my ideological bonafides, but let me assure you, I've never voted for Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. What you're failing to come to terms with is the degree to which Trump's disgraceful conduct has radicalized center-left Democrats, myself included. There seems to be this pipe dream on the right that everyone will forget about the Trump administration, and the GOP will successfully shirk responsibility. I'm afraid not.

A simple truth is that R. P. McMin is NOT a member of the latter group.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2020, 08:40:42 AM »

If you’ll actually read the article and not just the title you’ll see she’s working to elect Biden.

Is the bar that low? Or is she just too good for us Biden supporters? Has she ascended to a plane above ours, where she can both refuse to endorse a candidate and also get credit for "working to elect him"?

In any case, I think this is great news. They should stay as far away as possible. I'm only disappointed people like Pelosi endorsed her and Omar- I know the reason is the "incumbency loyalty", but these two are disloyal to the party and bigoted against a large segement of its supporters and deserve no institutional backing.

She knows her constituents, as she points out in the article. If endorsing Biden will have zero effect and motivating them instead to vote against Trump brings them to the polls more effectively, then an endorsement would be nothing but meaningless virtue signaling to the party heads and might even turn off some voters--especially moderates--and she likely knows this.

And whining about "disloyalty to the party" sounds pretty authoritarian and is the sort of thing that turns off a lot of potential voters.

Her constituents voted for Biden in the primary.
Fair point about "disloyalty to the party" as a phrase- disloyalty to the cause is more apt, though when talking about institutional support from the Speaker it is fair to talk about party loyalty. I disagree with Pelosi's decision to endorse an incumbent who booed the former nominee and refuses to endorse the current nominee.

But my biggest problem is how little almost everyone cares when it comes to Jews. Imagine this headline: "Breaking: Nancy Pelosi endorses incumbent who shared a racist Ben Garrison caricature, called black neighborhoods "crime-infested", shared pizzagate conspiracy without apologizing for any of that". Would anyone let it stand? Obviously not. But when it comes to two incumbents who shared an antisemitic cartoon from an Iranian holocaust competition finalist, used a very clear antisemitic dog-whistle and shared blood libel without checking, and worst of all- refused to apologize for any of that- no one raises their voice. It's depressing.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »

Hot Take: Not all Democratic primaries are about Berniecrats vs. the establishment
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2020, 10:03:14 PM »

Y'all I was being sarcastic. I know the BLM protest organizers aren't trying to kill anyone (at least not by covid) and I know Biden isn't responsible either.

Sorry I sparked some controversy though.

There have been so many bad takes around the internet it's getting hard to detect sarcasm.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »

It's possible that Wisconsin law has moved a great distance from it (I wouldn't know), but you are all aware of what the general Common Law principles around Self Defence actually are, yes? Because much of the discussion I've seen here and elsewhere suggests otherwise...
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2020, 01:41:54 PM »

It’s amazing. It truly is.

Ed Markey:

— Voted for NAFTA
— Voted for the 1994 crime bill
— Voted for the Iraq War
— Didn’t support busing back in the day
— Is an old career politician in office for about 50 years

You know, it's funny; I thought progressives were the ones perpetuating cancel culture by demanding ideological purity from every candidate. But you'd have us as compromising hypocrites.

Surely Markey's victory proves that if you make concessions to the left, you'll win a substantial amount of their support, even if you have made mistakes in the past. Come to think of it, the fact that Biden's cleaning up with progressives in polls probably proves that too - but I understand the narrative that "progressives are immature!!!111" needs to be maintained as an insurance scapegoat in case your guy loses.

I don't particularly mind you guys demonising the left - we're used to it by now - but at least have a consistent caricature.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »

I was going to make my usual one-liner, but I won't, because the possibility of it being true is just so demented and sad on so many levels. It's not even a patriotism thing - we all knew Trump is a traitor, the literal opposite of a patriot - it's more about the complete and utter lack of humanity.

Ummm...this can't possibly be real....is it?Huh
With any other President, no matter how cynical or corrupt, I would not even entertain the possibility. But the fact that this is even remotely believable says everything you need to know about Trump.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »

If you haven't abandoned Mr. Trump already, there is nothing why you shouldn't continue to support him, even if said expressions are on tape. Trumpism, which essentially has taken over the GOP, isn't a serious political philosophy or even a vision for America, it's a cult. If such a tape existed and came out, the cultists will continue to embarrass themselves by trying to defend their cult leader with the most absurd excuses, or they will claim the tape is fake. Just another Dem, radical left or mainstream media hoax to sink their dear leader.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »

Trump cancelling ads in Arizona, best response:

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2020, 08:48:38 PM »

This thread has been a microcosm of America, demonstrating why this country is so polarized.

Yes, it is... Republicans not getting what the big deal is about breaking our national institutions for short-term gain, Democrats getting furious, and Republicans not understanding why that is.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2020, 07:15:18 PM »

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" literally has no basis in the evidence.

Some of these graphs are a bit old, but the central finding has not changed.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2020, 02:02:08 AM »

Generally speaking, nobody pays attention to or cares about hardcore and emo.

See thread for context (although it should be obvious).

I propose to rename this thread after T'Chenka.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies