2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:04:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86]
Author Topic: 2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread v2  (Read 165244 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: November 02, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »

Don Bacon is not winning what is likely to be Biden +11

We've seen multiple polls showing Eastman drastically underperforming Biden. It would not be shocking to see her lose while Biden carries it.

Fair point, but assuming does win the district by 11 it’d be hard for even #strongcandidate Bacon to hold on. The same applies to NY-24 and PA-01.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2126 on: November 02, 2020, 03:34:50 PM »

Sabato also shoulda stuck to his guns on IA instead of beclowning himself with a switch at the last minute when his prior move was way too premature.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2127 on: November 02, 2020, 04:27:00 PM »

Sabato also shoulda stuck to his guns on IA instead of beclowning himself with a switch at the last minute when his prior move was way too premature.

It'll be hilarious if Greenfield wins and they could've just stuck to their gut
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2128 on: November 06, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »

It'll be hilarious if Greenfield wins and they could've just stuck to their gut
Well Sabato made the right choice
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2129 on: November 08, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »

Sabato needs to be fired. TX 21 and 22 are long gone
And don't get me started on MN 01

Sabato does need to be fired, but for different reasons...
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2130 on: November 08, 2020, 07:13:42 PM »

People really ignored the warning signs of a closer than expected House result (GCB, polls showing that the voters expected Biden to win).
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2131 on: November 08, 2020, 10:05:01 PM »

People really ignored the warning signs of a closer than expected House result (GCB, polls showing that the voters expected Biden to win).

Yeah. My problem is that I didn't believe the disparity because most polls showed that Americans thought Trump was going to win, so my think was: "Why would the GCB tighten if they elected a blue congress two years ago as a check on him?"
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #2132 on: November 12, 2020, 07:54:18 AM »

The House models were a disaster this year, the Economist had the GOP house seat range with their 99% confidence interval between 171-208 seats, the GOP could get up to 214 seats when all is said and done, the GOP had an under 1% chance of winning 213 or 214 seats with the dem chances being over 99%.

In the 538 model, error margins were wider, this helped their model be more accurate but still the GOP winning 214 seats was on the 5th percentile of outcomes, and 213 seats was the 6th percentile.

VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2133 on: November 12, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »

LOL OH-01 and MN-01 before like half a dozen TX seats more likely to flip

Yeah, that's a joke. OH-01 before seats like TX-22 is bad enough, but MN-01!? I think TX-22 would go Democratic by double digits before MN-01 flips.

TX-22 actually voted to the right of MN-01.

Tbf I was surprised too
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2134 on: November 13, 2020, 07:09:08 AM »

The House models were a disaster this year, the Economist had the GOP house seat range with their 99% confidence interval between 171-208 seats, the GOP could get up to 214 seats when all is said and done, the GOP had an under 1% chance of winning 213 or 214 seats with the dem chances being over 99%.

In the 538 model, error margins were wider, this helped their model be more accurate but still the GOP winning 214 seats was on the 5th percentile of outcomes, and 213 seats was the 6th percentile.

The people who made the model for the Economist are ~idiots https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris

but all models will suck if there will be 5+% polling error>>>

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2135 on: November 13, 2020, 08:24:51 AM »

Yeah, that's a joke. OH-01 before seats like TX-22 is bad enough, but MN-01!? I think TX-22 would go Democratic by double digits before MN-01 flips.

TX-22 actually voted to the right of MN-01.

Tbf I was surprised too

I’d argue Feehan would’ve won if not for the third party guy’s (Pot Party IIRC) freakishly good performance.  Feehan lost so I can’t quite accept accolades, but I think my belief that MN-1 was far from a lost cause has been vindicated. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2136 on: November 16, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »

Is anyone else actually quite surprised that MN-01 was that close? Given the environment this year with house losses, I would've wrote that race off, but it was closer than I would've thought. I thought we had written that district off even after 2018.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2137 on: November 16, 2020, 09:43:19 PM »

Is anyone else actually quite surprised that MN-01 was that close? Given the environment this year with house losses, I would've wrote that race off, but it was closer than I would've thought. I thought we had written that district off even after 2018.

I think it goes to show how much down ballot lags behind Presidential trends. Most of Democrat's disappointments were in suburban districts whereas they actually did fine in many rural districts.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2138 on: November 16, 2020, 11:09:28 PM »

Isn't Rochester in this district? Biden gained almost ten points on Hillary in Olmsted county. COVID likely had quite the effect in such a well educated place full of doctors.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #2139 on: November 21, 2020, 06:35:09 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2020, 06:49:32 PM by Coastal Elitist »

Reading back through this thread is hilarious such awful takes lol especially from wbrocks and Trendsarereal.

With that said all pundits and "election experts" should be fired 538 didn't even get the only D house flip correct and Cook and Sabato were complete jokes as well as all the others. Also this should show that the partisan lean of a district is more important than fundraising especially when most of the money is coming from out of state.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2140 on: November 21, 2020, 06:46:11 PM »

Reading back through this thread is hilarious such awful takes lol especially from wbrocks.

With that said all pundits and "election experts" should be fired 538 didn't even get the only D house flip correct and Cook and Sabato were complete jokes as well as all the others. Also this should show that the partisan lean of a district is more important than fundraising especially when most of the money is coming from out of state.

I think Trendsarereal had more annoying takes about Texas. Though both of them had a lot of really bad takes about Brian Fitzpatrick, who ended up winning by 13 points.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #2141 on: November 21, 2020, 09:47:38 PM »

One positive about all the Republican house members retiring in 2018 and 2020 is there is now a lot of fresh blood in the House GOP, a lot of older, lower quality members have left, 76 Republican house members left voluntarily, were primaried or died in either the 2018 or 2020 cycles vs 35 democrats.

A further 30 Republican incumbents were taken out in 2018 for a net loss of 106 among Republican house members since 2016, of course some of the incumbents who lost in 2018 won this year, nonetheless we still have around a 100 new members or 40% renewal of the House GOP over just a 4 year period.

It is kind of amazing how much turnover there has been in just 4 years in the House GOP, I think it is a positive as a lot of the newer members are more effective and more in touch with where the party needs to go than many of the older member were, also it helps prevent a geriatric leadership class from developing like the House Democrats have.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #2142 on: December 05, 2020, 05:14:59 AM »

I was looking at the 538 house model and saw they had the GOP favoured in GA 7, it is hilarious how the 1 seats the dems flipped outside redistricting, 538 had the GOP winning and all the seats the GOP flipped, 538 had the dems winning. Their house model was really bad, wonder whether Nate Silver will ever talk about it publicly.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2143 on: December 06, 2020, 12:17:26 AM »

Turns out MN-01 would have flipped before every TX Republican seat except TX-24 lol.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2144 on: December 06, 2020, 12:22:28 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2020, 12:36:35 AM by Roll Roons »

Turns out MN-01 would have flipped before every TX Republican seat except TX-24 lol.

People really got carried away when it came to Texas. TrendsareReal was one of the worst offenders. Probably a combination of wishful thinking, a fetish for #trends and being misled by all those s****y polls.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2145 on: December 06, 2020, 09:40:30 AM »

I now accept my accolades Smiley
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #2146 on: December 06, 2020, 10:23:21 PM »

People really got carried away when it came to Texas. TrendsareReal was one of the worst offenders. Probably a combination of wishful thinking, a fetish for #trends and being misled by all those s****y polls.

Wasn't just the polls, plenty of people were fooled by them including me (will not make the mistake of believing them any more).
But lots of hacks here and elsewhere were saying Texas is Lean/Likely D for both presidency and senate throughout 2019 and 2020. Turns out republican trends are just as "real" as dem ones.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #2147 on: December 06, 2020, 10:28:28 PM »

Wasn't just the polls, plenty of people were fooled by them including me (will not make the mistake of believing them any more).
But lots of hacks here and elsewhere were saying Texas is Lean/Likely D for both presidency and senate throughout 2019 and 2020. Turns out republican trends are just as "real" as dem ones.

Idk about elsewhere, but I don't remember anyone here unironically going as far as saying that Texas was Lean/Likely D (maybe a few Tilt D given the number of close polls that Biden lead).
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies