Vice Presidential Debate Debating Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:20:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Debate Debating Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Debate Debating Thread  (Read 1307 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: October 12, 2019, 01:00:47 AM »

Hi. Thank you thumb for organizing this debate, to the other candidates for participating in it, and for you the voters for reading it.

The Griffin/Pericles ticket is working hard for Atlasia, and offers the best vision for our future. Let nobody talk Atlasia down, we have truly historic engagement and I can say the game has definitely improved since my own run for President in February 2018. Atlasia is attracting more people to engage or re-engage with it, we have the highest population ever and plenty of new people are taking up the opportunity to run for office and actively contribute to the game. Policy-wise, our approach is delivering for Atlasians and we have been hard at work for you. Some key accomplishments are the minimum wage increase, raising the estate tax and signing into law a wealth tax. We are dedicated to tackling the inequalities and injustices in our society and ensure every Atlasian has the opportunity to succeed in life, this mission will continue if we are re-elected.

On my role in particular, I have been providing reliable and fair administration to Congress, helping it fulfill its mandate and deliver for Atlasians. I was honored by the trust placed in me by President Griffin when he nominated me for the Vice-Presidency, and by the Senate when they unanimously confirmed me to that position. I have done my best to encourage debate, and this Congress has seen good activity. I anticipate one of the participants in this debate will disagree with my statement here, I want to say in advance that their claims are false, and in my administration of Congress I have been fair to all and unbiased. They chose to respond with personal attacks to my established policy of extending votes in which a majority of Representatives had not yet voted in, this is a reasonable exercise of my responsibilities and I believe that a minority of the chamber should not override the majority of the chamber. If the voters of Atlasia elect me to a full term as Vice-President, I promise to continue to give 100% to boosting congressional activity and debate and be fair in my administration to all.

Atlasia faces an important choice in this election. The right-wing has become increasingly extreme, with moderates being driven out of the Atlasian right. We need an administration that will stop their agenda dead in its tracks, and stand up for the progressive majority of Atlasians. Only the Griffin/Pericles ticket can do that. In the remaining right-wing outpost of the South, we have seen the right try to ram through a Confederate flag, unsuccessfully try to gut all regulations (even civil rights regulations) in 'economic freedom zones' and push through a constitutional amendment on a partisan basis that made an Indiana 2015 style 'religious freedom' law apply in the entire South.  Representative fhtagn has sought to gut gun safety regulations, even those passed with bipartisan support under a Federalist administration, and has used all manner of dirty tricks to obstruct the administration and prevent us delivering on our mandate. This is no longer the relatively moderate right-wing of dfw, Yankee and tmth, that's for sure.

This election therefore is a clear choice, between the strong reasonable leadership of Adam Griffin and I, and chaos and extremism if the Federalists win. So please, let's come together and give us a resounding vote of confidence and a resounding rejection to the extremism of the right, so we can keep on serving you. Dave bless Atlasia.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2019, 03:09:59 PM by Pericles »

> What is your view on the role of unions and "right to work" laws?
This is a pro-union ticket, and we believe unions have an important role to lift up wages and protect workers. We will protect unions and oppose 'right to work' laws, which are excuses just to attack unions and strengthen corporate power. I agree with 1184AZ when he said that the Federalists give "lip service" to protecting unions and "display an incredible amount of anti-union attitudes", and I think that the workers of Atlasia will be hurt if the Federalists win this election.

> What steps could be taken to create jobs?
Griffin and I are open to infrastructure spending and tax cuts for the middle class to boost our economy. More information from the GM Department would be helpful in this regard, I am very disappointed at the lack of activity from them (and Sestak's issues, while unfortunate, are irrelevant here as this was never supposed to be one of his responsibilities), and the inactivity from the GM Department can't be tolerated going forward.

I also think that we need to make sure that people don't just have jobs but they have good-paying jobs too. This is why it is so important that the minimum wage has been increased, as this will boost wages for millions of workers (and despite right-wing talking points there is no evidence that the minimum wage reduces employment). There are many other measures we are taking to boost incomes for hard-working Atlasians. We are on the side of hard-working Atlasians, not the top 1%, many of whom inherit obscene wealth while paying a lower effective tax rate than people who actually work for a living-I can assure you this cannot continue and we are ensuring that those at the top pay their fair share in tax so everyone else gets a fair go too. Income and wealth inequality cannot be solved in one election, but we are making good progress and if the Atlasian people elect us to another term the progress will continue.

> How can infrastructure be improved?
I think we have made good progress on infrastructure compared to rl, though this is certainly an area where further improvements should be considered. Once we have a budget, which again will need the GM Department to be much more active, then we can consider our fiscal position and responsibly invest in and upgrade our infrastructure. This is certainly possible in the next term.

> What is your view of criminal justice reform?
I think we have made good progress on criminal justice reform in recent years. I'm particularly proud of this bill of mine, which addressed many different issues in the criminal justice system. I'm open to further improvements in this area, though we are much better than the rl US and this is an issue where there is bipartisan agreement in Atlasia, so a lot of problems would have already been addressed. We do need to strike a good balance between punishment and rehabilitation, and simply locking people up is not the right solution. Being tough on criminals is not the same as being tough on crime, we do need to also address the causes of crime and work on rehabilitating people so they don't reoffend.

> What should be done about climate change?
Climate change certainly has to be a high priority for us. I regard this is as a climate crisis, and am open to Atlasia declaring a climate emergency-regardless I am determined that we will ensure Atlasia does everything it can to tackle climate change. We have an 11-year window to get emissions down, and the damage would be horrendous if globally we fail to keep temperatures under 1.5 or even 2 degrees Celsius. Remember, we are currently trending for 3-4 degrees in warming over this century. Inevitably, Atlasia has to take a leading role in this. The complaining about costs of action is missing the forest for the trees, quite frankly, because the cost of inaction would be far greater.

I'd also like to point out that this administration did not introduce a carbon tax, that was passed under fhtagn's presidency and I'd like to thank her for her leadership on this issue then. I am confused however about why her ticket is promising to repeal that carbon tax though. I would strongly oppose the repeal of the carbon tax, as AZ's claims that it hurts Atlasian families are false due to 70% of revenue being returned to them in Green Checks and the rest being used to fund renewable energy, and it is a necessary measure to meet our responsibilities and keep Atlasia safe from warming of more than 2 degrees Celsius. This is certainly an issue I feel very passionately about, and I am quite frankly appalled when people still refuse to face up to this crisis and so endanger our security and national wellbeing.

> What makes you qualified to be Vice President and what sort of role in the administration will you take?
I discussed this in my opening statement, but I'm happy to elaborate. I am of course the incumbent Vice President, so people can see that I will do a good job because I am doing a good job right now. I also have my experience as Speaker of the House, where I helped deliver the most productive Congress in history. With regards to my role in the administration, this is a team effort and Griff and I will work effectively together to make a second term a success, should the voters elect us to one. On tie-breaking votes for instance we agree a shared position. I do understand the President is of course the leader in the administration and so my responsibility is in a way to help him deliver on his mandate. I have consistently been very committed to my responsibilities and shown a great level of activity, I promise this will continue if I have another term as Vice President.

> What will be your approach when dealing with congress?
I see myself as helping enable the members of Congress to fulfill their mandates from the people. So this fits in with my policy of ensuring votes have a majority of the chamber express themselves before being closed, and as I said this is a matter of fairness and upholding our democracy as I don't think a minority of the chamber should be able to overrule the majority of the chamber. I will continue to treat the entire Congress with fairness. In my administrative decisions I will not be biased or partisan, even though I often have opinions on the legislation Congress is debating. While I do have strong views, I can work effectively with members of other parties and have respectful interactions with them, something that isn't a given for all the candidates here. This is shown by the unanimous support expressed in the Senate for my confirmation.

> To Pericles: In a speech, you attacked the "extreme right-wing opposition." How do you believe the right has become too extreme?
Well, I think that it's pretty clear, and a lot of people are picking up on this. I'll give a good rundown of examples. As I said, the economic freedom zones bill and the partisan pushing through of a religious freedom law in the South are good examples. The Confederate flag fiasco also shows this, and unlike what was said by fhtagn, this was pushed through by Federalist Governor YoungTexan. The process was rigged to force through a Confederate flag, as only flags with Confederate imagery were presented to the electorate, and then despite the referendum being declared non-binding YoungTexan loudly declared it was the 'will of the people' and had to be obeyed. fhtagn called this 'fake outrage', I disagree with her that citizens shouldn't be allowed to express their views on this issue and that people just have to accept the racist imagery of the Confederacy.

Another example is when thr33 made several racist comments on Discord, and this was relevant information for voters as he was running for election to the Lincoln Assembly. Representative fhtagn however thought that the problem was that comments from Discord were posted on Atlas and repeatedly tried to deflect from this issue. As North Carolina Yankee pointed out then, the right never would have rushed to defend thr in 2016, but in 2019 they sure did.

This is not a group that represents the views of most Atlasians, and they are certainly not fit to lead this great nation. So let's resoundingly reject their extremism and force them to clean up their act, because Atlasia deserves better, and you deserve better.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 04:20:44 AM »

Well I have read quite well as to what has been going on, fhtagn always says that people who disagree with her aren't paying attention but can't seem to accept that people can simply interpret things differently and take a different view. This intolerant attitude would be unhelpful for her if she does become Vice President.

Anyway, the ultimate responsibility for the Confederate flag fiasco lies with the Atlasian right, and YT and Muaddib in particular. I don't approve of what the Labor Party members there did, but they were not the ones behind this botched process-YT chose to rig the process to try and force a Confederate flag on the Southern people. And frankly your approach to thr yet again is not good enough, because he did say anti-Semitic things and Islamophobic things, and that intolerance is wrong for Atlasia. I don't think much of an effort was made to find the information on thr, you seem to presume a lot of stuff that you don't have evidence for. In any case, it was good that voters saw thr's beliefs and they had a right to have that information and make a judgement on it. Do we really want a bunch of anti-Semites and Islamophobes holding office just because of some arbitrary rule against disclosing information seen on Discord? Of course not. You chose to excuse vile comments and beliefs, and that shows a lack of leadership and is yet more proof of my point. Rather than convincingly rebut my points, you're just digging yourself in deeper. It's clear here that the Atlasian right in this election is unfit to lead Atlasia and needs to be rejected.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 06:18:22 PM »

It's rather absurd to pass the buck on to the minority party, and your argument yet again is unconvincing-it's pretty clear that YT and Muaddib are to blame. And, unlike some people, I believe everything I say, and don't appreciate having my honesty attacked. Anyway, you're trying to deflect and drag this debate down rabbit holes.

The big picture in this election is clear-Griff and I are providing strong and reasonable leadership for Atlasia while the Atlasian right has gone off the deep end and is too extreme to provide good leadership for the game at this time. Everything that has been said in this debate, including by Representative fhtagn, helps demonstrate this to voters.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 09:58:08 PM »

> To Pericles: You spoke about addressing the causes of crime. What are some of the key causes of crime in your view and what can be done about it?

Well I meant that people aren't just born as criminals but that crime stems from social failures and so we also need to tackle the social conditions that help push people into crime. This can be done by combating poverty and giving people better housing and employment opportunities (part of this would be to avoid former felons being unable to gain employment opportunities and rebuild their lives). For instance my bill on criminal justice reform also sought to close the school to prison pipeline, and I think my other bills like expanding the child tax credit would end up reducing our crime rate too. If we simply build more prisons and stuff more people into those prisons then I don't think that will do much good.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 03:17:37 AM »

A bit late but I'll quickly do my closing statement.

Atlasia is on the rise, and a bright future is ahead of us. The Griffin/Pericles ticket is a mainstream ticket. We have been actively moving Atlasia forward, and are creating a fairer Atlasia. In our Atlasia, everyone has the chance to succeed in life, we are creating an Atlasia that works for everyone, not just those at the top. Atlasia is thriving right now, we have historic engagement and satisfaction with the game. Atlasia has moved in the right direction since Griff's victory in June, and we will keep moving in the right direction if we are re-elected. However, this will be at risk if we elect a chaotic far-right government. The Atlasian right-wing is not suitable to lead our great nation in the months ahead, and their policies are out of touch with both reality and the Atlasian people. This debate has helped illustrate the clear choice Atlasia faces. Now, it's up to you. Thank you for reading, and make sure to vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies