Vice Presidential Debate Debating Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:48:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Debate Debating Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Debate Debating Thread  (Read 1315 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: October 11, 2019, 11:24:39 PM »
« edited: October 11, 2019, 11:34:58 PM by Congressman Dwarven Dragon »

Thank you for hosting this debate.

There are three main tickets in this election - The Griff Ticket, The RC Ticket, and the AZ Ticket. What do they all have in common - they're filled with establishment politicians who really only care about themselves and their inner circle. Atlasia needs something fresh, an outsider perspective to bring real change to the game, in both engagement and policy.

While the Dule ticket does qualify as outsider, consider what it proposes - an ending of democracy, by nuclear warfare if necessary. This goes against the very fiber and being of Atlasia. Really, you cannot be a good atlasian and vote for an anti-people fraud like Dule. Enough said.

So, when three tickets are filled with establishment politicians on both ends who serve themselves and their core base first and the people as a whole last, and a fourth is opposed to democracy itself, you are left with the remaining choice, which is indeed the Winfield ticket.

Winfield has never held office before*, and this will allow him to bring the game into a new era of prosperity the likes of which has not been seen before, because unlike any of the three main tickets, he cannot be bought off by anyone. Unlike any other ticket on the ballot, we will act decisively to solve the gun violence program via buybacks and confiscation. We will work hard to solve poverty with real devotion because both of us live among the commonpeople, including real cuts to prescription drug pricing, while avoiding the failed "solution" of single payer health care. And if the Griffin Administration does not produce a budget in its final weeks, then we will produce one in a responsible and timely fashion, whether the game moderators are willing to help or not.

While I have served in office in several capacities, I have shifted in ideology during my time in the game, and have consistently demonstrated I can work with the other side in a real way and not just vote the party line. I believe this shows that I have not succumbed to the corruption that often infects Atlasian Officeholders.

As you listen to both of us throughout the debates, I believe you will come to the conclusion that the Winfield/Wulfric ticket is the best hope Atlasia has to have a strong future.

*pre-reset jobs are irrelevant for obvious reasons
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:40:20 PM »

Economic Policy:
> What is your view on the role of unions and "right to work" laws?
> What steps could be taken to create jobs?
> How can infrastructure be improved?

Unions are helpful to society and have won many important rights and protection for workers, and continue to do so. RTW laws are a regional issue.

Well, for one thing I would imagine a number of jobs would be created because of the need for additional law enforcement officers so we can ensure new gun laws are strictly enforced. I would also support investing in the creation of public works projects across the country, and would also be open to creating jobs by expanding the areas in which oil drilling is permitted, with the support of the region(s) concerned.

I would urge congress to increase federal funding for infrastructure while also motivating local communities to better invest. There are several decent infrastructure bills from RL that congress can use as a framework. Examples: HR 3210, HR 1428, HR 1429, HR 2705, and HR 4266.

Social Issues:
> What is your view of criminal justice reform?
> What should be done about climate change?

Atlasia should end all remaining mandatory minimum sentences, save for Murder, Manslaughter, and Rape. All nonviolent drug offenders should be enrolled in treatment programs rather than punished, even for so called "hard drugs". Any part of the real life First Step Act (S 756, 115th Congress) that isn't already in Atlasian law should be passed here as well.

Climate change is a serious problem that must be addressed immediately. We should double the federal tax on Carbon, with a special surcharge for the South (which has taken no action whatsoever to address the issue). We should also end all remaining uses of natural gas and coal, to be replaced with renewable sources. Further, we should stop importing oil from foreign countries, without exception. Either we replace that through coastal/Alaskan drilling or use other sources of energy.

Game/Reform Issues:
> What makes you qualified to be Vice President and what sort of role in the administration will you take?
> What will be your approach when dealing with congress?

I am qualified through my long tenure of legislative experience that makes me prepared for the administrative aspects of the Job. My experience includes the Pacific Assembly, the Fremont Legislative Assembly (Predecessor to the Fremont Parliament), the Lincoln Assembly, the Southern Chamber of Delegates (including being Deputy Speaker from November 28, 2018 to April 16, 2019), and of course the Atlasian House. I plan to take an active role in the administration, ensuring it is accomplishing all it can for Atlasia, and would not hesitate to leverage my experience and ability to work across the aisle to allow congress and the administration to have real accomplishments. That being said, I have little patience for members of congress who merely engage in embarrassing stall tactics and would insist any "big deals" come from a relationship of mutual respect rather than me just surrendering to the latest stall tactic from the ACP or Feds.

> To Wulfric: In your opening statement, you called single payer healthcare a failure. Specifically, what is your critique of single payer healthcare and how has it failed in the countries in which it has been implemented?

Single payer healthcare will take away tons of jobs in the health insurance industry, which rather than solving poverty as this campaign intends to do, would merely exacerbate the problem by adding to the number of homeless people living on the streets. Society is not able, and indeed will never be able, to replace the millions of jobs within said Health Insurance Industry.

Further, it does not work even taking aside the job loss it causes - the long wait times for  most procedures in the rl United Kingdom are evidence enough for this. It also goes against my ticket-mate's belief that welfare should be hand-up and not a hand-out - A healthcare system created by the government, for everyone, regardless of financial status, is the king of all hand-outs. Finally, without competition (as single payer bans all forms of private insurance, including things like Medicare Advantage), the government has little to no incentive to actually provide decent care.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:24:32 AM »

I believe that nuclear energy certainly can be part of the solution, but we must recognize that such power plants produce large amounts of harmful waste that Atlasia ultimately does not want. Perhaps in the short term it is okay, but in the long term we must step away from this radioactive source that is only partially renewable, and onto real renewable energy sources, like wind, solar, geothermal, and hydropower. And on these real solutions, the South has taken no action whatsoever. It has instead taken action to make climate change worse, by writing into its statute a law that the legislature would first have to repeal before it could enact a highly necessary regional carbon tax. It's clear that the nuclear power bill is only a distraction meant to deceive the populace from the South's real intent: Not only have they failed to take any truly bold action to prevent climate change, they have actively helped to make it worse.

In closing, I again reiterate that the other tickets in the election are either filled with inflexible establishment politicians who simply cater to the whims of their partisan base voters, or filled with memes that either laugh at or directly oppose democracy. The only option to truly move Atlasia forward is the Winfield/Wulfric ticket.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 10:37:44 PM »

establishment politicians who simply cater to the whims of their partisan base voters
That's literally what you do as a member of the Labor Party.
If that was true, I wouldn't be running with Winfield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies