FT 13.12 – Thirty-Two Hour Week Act (Law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:13:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 13.12 – Thirty-Two Hour Week Act (Law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 13.12 – Thirty-Two Hour Week Act (Law)  (Read 414 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »
« edited: November 02, 2019, 07:59:24 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN ACT
to establish the thirty-two hour week

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be the "Thirty-Two Hour Week Act."

Section 2 (Thirty-two hour week)
i. No employee shall be required to work more than thirty-two hours a week.
ii. Any employee who should voluntarily work more than thirty-two hours in a given a week shall be compensated at 120% of their regular hourly salary for every hour they work after the thirty-second.

Section 3 (Adjusting the minimum wage)
i. §3(i) of the Rights of Working People Act of 2017 shall be amended to read as follows:
The minimum hourly rate of compensation shall be equal the calculated Living Wage in the county wherein the work was performed.
(a) The Living Wage shall be calculated according to the following formula.
Living Wage =
{(Food) + (Child Care) [(Insurance Premium) + (Medical Care)] + (Housing) + (Transportation) + (Other Necessities)} ÷ 1,664

Section 4 (Implementation)
i. This Act shall take effect on the first day of the 2021 fiscal year.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman, Speaker

The member from North Dakota has the floor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »

As it says on the tin, really —this bill would define full-time work in Frémont as thirty-two hours a week, require employers to pay overtime for work over thirty-two hours, and adjust the minimum wage formula accordingly. Not only will this provide much-needed respite to an overworked and underpaid working class, it will create new opportunities for employment in industries that need the manpower while appropriately adjusting to modern labor needs in others where automatization plays an increased role.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »

As it says on the tin, really —this bill would define full-time work in Frémont as thirty-two hours a week, require employers to pay overtime for work over thirty-two hours, and adjust the minimum wage formula accordingly. Not only will this provide much-needed respite to an overworked and underpaid working class, it will create new opportunities for employment in industries that need the manpower while appropriately adjusting to modern labor needs in others where automatization plays an increased role.

Wouldn't this just result in employers cutting everyone's hours to 32, resulting in a pay cut for most Atlasians?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 09:28:45 PM »

32 hours is a bit extreme for me. Even France is still on 35. And this isn't going to do anything to stop the move towards part-time work, which is what is actually hurting the working class.
And a 32 hour working week does nothing for the poor with multiple part-time jobs.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 09:51:01 PM »

Wouldn't this just result in employers cutting everyone's hours to 32, resulting in a pay cut for most Atlasians?
§3 is specifically designed to prevent this for workers earning the minimum wage. For everyone else, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that in 2018, the average Atlasian worked 34.4 hours in a typical week. (Source) The real effect of this bill will be to increase wages for hourly employees who work more than 32 hours a week, as employers will likely find it more economical to pay slightly more in overtime than to hire new employees to do a few hours' work each week.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »

And this isn't going to do anything to stop the move towards part-time work, which is what is actually hurting the working class.
This is, indeed, a significant problem: one I would be happy to work with the honorable member (and anyone else interested) in addressing by a separate bill, or an amendment to this one. My first instinct is that the best way to attack companies deliberately keeping their employees part-time would be through the corporate tax code, though I'm not sure exactly how. A more radical solution, I suppose would be to abolish part-time work entirely.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 12:12:11 AM »

And this isn't going to do anything to stop the move towards part-time work, which is what is actually hurting the working class.
This is, indeed, a significant problem: one I would be happy to work with the honorable member (and anyone else interested) in addressing by a separate bill, or an amendment to this one. My first instinct is that the best way to attack companies deliberately keeping their employees part-time would be through the corporate tax code, though I'm not sure exactly how. A more radical solution, I suppose would be to abolish part-time work entirely.
Or just institute a higher wage per hour for part-time work than full time work for medium and large companies. That's a lot simpler without entering the bounds of radical thought.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 06:51:35 PM »

As we've had no more debate, I move for a vote.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »

§3 is specifically designed to prevent this for workers earning the minimum wage. For everyone else, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that in 2018, the average Atlasian worked 34.4 hours in a typical week. (Source) The real effect of this bill will be to increase wages for hourly employees who work more than 32 hours a week, as employers will likely find it more economical to pay slightly more in overtime than to hire new employees to do a few hours' work each week.
That's factually untrue, and is not how business is operated in larger companies. Larger companies typically do everything possible to avoid paying overtime, because it isn't more economical to pay that one person to work longer. How it actually ends up working out is that you have significantly fewer full time employees, and more part time employees doing the same job, but working less hours.

Many larger companies have moved to have fewer fulltime managers and leads, and a bunch of part time associates working 25 hours or less a week because at the end of the day, it costs them less to do so, and no one gets overtime pay. It costs too much for the company to pay overtime to that one person, and that one person is much more likely to get reprimanded for going over the maximum full time hours, and likely fired if it becomes a regular problem.

While the purpose of this is admirable, it doesn't take into account how it works in the real world.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »

Come on, support this legislation. We really need it

Signed citizen Laki. Everyone who signs it gets my immediate endorsement for next election. Harry S Truman, I really admire your proposal here. You're a great guy!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 07:04:17 PM »

It seems the momentum is against this bill, but it has languished on the floor long enough. Regardless of the outcome, I intend to bring legislation to address the concerns raised by ASV and fhtagn in the next parliament.

Members will vote Aye, Nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.

Aye
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 07:12:32 PM »

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 07:45:58 PM »

Nay
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 07:58:20 PM »

With two members in favor, one opposed, and one not voting, the resolution carries.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »

AN ACT
to establish the thirty-two hour week

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be the "Thirty-Two Hour Week Act."

Section 2 (Thirty-two hour week)
i. No employee shall be required to work more than thirty-two hours a week.
ii. Any employee who should voluntarily work more than thirty-two hours in a given a week shall be compensated at 120% of their regular hourly salary for every hour they work after the thirty-second.

Section 3 (Adjusting the minimum wage)
i. §3(i) of the Rights of Working People Act of 2017 shall be amended to read as follows:
The minimum hourly rate of compensation shall be equal the calculated Living Wage in the county wherein the work was performed.
(a) The Living Wage shall be calculated according to the following formula.
Living Wage =
{(Food) + (Child Care) [(Insurance Premium) + (Medical Care)] + (Housing) + (Transportation) + (Other Necessities)} ÷ 1,664

Section 4 (Implementation)
i. This Act shall take effect on the first day of the 2021 fiscal year.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies