Trump stabs the Kurds in the back
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 04:20:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump stabs the Kurds in the back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Author Topic: Trump stabs the Kurds in the back  (Read 20933 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 10:19:04 AM »

>Washington has always hoped to avoid a military confrontation between Turkey and the YPG. The shortsighted policy of arming and backing an enemy of Turkey so close to their border was bound to have dangerous consequences.

It's frankly so bizarre to see neocons wet their panties over us not taking the side of a rebel communist militia over a NATO member. NATO doesn't mean much to me, really - it's just illuminating to see how whatever Trump does that doesn't invoke blood gets criticized.

It's not like the Syrian government is pro-ISIS.. there's no real chance that the territorial caliphate gets resurrected even if Turkey goes all the way to the Euphrates. The US really has to learn from this experience and putting their money in internationally-recognized states to exert their influence. This rebel-funding never seems to get anywhere.

Only if getting our dicks out of the pies they are in would fix our problems. When has it ever? I mean, I really want to believe that no one needs the US around and we can hire defense contractors  to work on other projects that don't involve us doing things like this.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »

Wow what a heartless and ignorant statement

These people helped us defeat Isis and now you and Trump are ok with letting the Turkish massacre them. Its moments like this that make it clear to me why I could never support Trump or his agenda.
Trump and a l lot of his supporter are truly horrible people.
We made ISIS by going in there to begin with. Cut our losses and get out. I don’t see any of you guys enlisting. I certainly don’t see any of you going over there and volunteering for the militias either.

lmao no ISIS made ISIS when they decided to be a bunch of anti-freedom theocratic assbags and start killing people.

The US cannot be blamed for the actions taken by radicals who live in these areas. The people who joined ISIS would have murdered and killed no matter what happened.

Believing the US "created" them by trying to bring freedom to Iraq only makes sense if you believe that for whatever reason those morons didn't have the free will to decide they were going to become terrorists. If they decide to become terrorists and threaten US interests, the US has the right to respond and destroy them. The terrorists should understand that the possibility that other people in the world won't like what they are doing and destroy them comes with the territory of deciding they're going to try to be some sort of revolutionaries serving imaginary sky daddy.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »

This will be the reason why a lot of people justify a lot of things in the coming years. Believe me!
The Republican party really threw the floodgates wide open!  The constitution as written is clearly failing us.  Unfortunately the GOP will need to lose elections before we can prevent them from ever coming back to power.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 10:35:29 AM »

Trump is the worst President since Buchanan, and might be the most personally evil President in American history.
What's absolutely TERRIFYING is how low the stakes have been for him. Imagine if he was POTUS when 9/11 happened, or during the sub-prime mortgage collapse. If we go further back, what if he was the decision maker during the Cuban Missile Crisis or the Selma-to-Montgomety civil rights marches?

I was actually thinking about this yesterday in terms of how he’ll be perceived in the future. He is a truly awful, useless, president but unlike Buchanan, Hoover etc he hasn’t really had anything that memorable to deal with - so I wonder if he’ll be remembered as more like Harding.

He will be remembered for his abrasiveness, his corruption, his despotic tendencies, and his unsteady foreign policy. He will be an object of hatred in academic circles for his anti-intellectualism, which will solidify contempt for him for years. He will be remembered as what not to look for in a President.

His one legislative success will be a tax cut largely to the gain of the Master Class, and he will be remembered for installing the most objectionable Justice on the Supreme Court bench (so far).

The biggest legacy will be that any of his personal tendencies will be seen as inappropriate for the White House. Sexism is obvious. Being a businessman with no political experience is another. I doubted that we would ever elect or even come close to electing a religious or ethnic bigot, but here he is. On the other hand, level-headedness, understanding the political system, and not insulting the Other Side will be important. Obama learned quickly enough that his gaffe in criticizing people for preferring their guns and Bibles to social change that might improve their lives to say nothing like that again; Trump doubled down.

Like most liberals I saw Donald Trump woefully inadequate for the Presidency as well as ideologically incompatible with me. Those who saw him as ideologically compatible or at least offering something to them were blind to what I saw as moral awfulness and inadequate preparation. I put it this way: the next effective conservative Republican to be President will act far more like Barack Obama than like Donald Trump.

I expect the Right to see further concentration of the economy as progress, to seek to dismantle entitlement programs, to try to eviscerate any remaining power of Organized Labor (which it deems organized crime), to promote Calvinist values, and in general create a social order in which the common man has responsibilities to the rich-and-powerful and the rich-and-powerful decide how to reward people (little in This World except the privilege of survival, but pie-in-the-sky-when-you-die in the Next World for the obedient, long-suffering servants of the Master Class of owners and bureaucratic elites). But Trump is discredited completely by now except by his cult.

But he has a cult, and worse, he has shown that many Americans in seemingly-unlikely places are able to latch onto him as no leader in American history has been able to get people of such devotion and dedication. Even should Trump disappear from the scene, many of his supporters will find someone else who fills the empty spaces in their pitiable lives. Those people saw nothing wrong with the word deplorable; they were even proud to get the label from some 'liberal elitist' who shared few of their values.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »

Wow what a heartless and ignorant statement

These people helped us defeat Isis and now you and Trump are ok with letting the Turkish massacre them. Its moments like this that make it clear to me why I could never support Trump or his agenda.
Trump and a l lot of his supporter are truly horrible people.
We made ISIS by going in there to begin with. Cut our losses and get out. I don’t see any of you guys enlisting. I certainly don’t see any of you going over there and volunteering for the militias either.

This is far worse than us just Cutting our losses and leaving

Trump had the Kurds dismantle their defenses before abandoning them.
He promised them protection for doing that and Now he is has completely left them out to dry

Its one thing to say that we are leaving
Its another to now leave these poor people completely defenseless since they now have no real way to defend themselves because of Trump

That is horrible and wrong
It also makes it very clear that any deal with Trump is not worth the paper its printed on
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »

The Kurds need to come up with some dirt on Liz Warren, STAT.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 10:52:12 AM »

This is great. The United States has completely destroyed the last shreds of credibility it had as an ally. The only pro-american muslim group in the middle east is going to get steamrolled by Turkey and the US is even supporting it. Erdogan has cucked the US one time after another from Imprisoning the Missionary and buying the Russian Missiles to supporting Maduro and Trump is still doing him favours. Europe, Japan, SK. all will now turn away from the meaningless promises of being protected by America and Turn to Russia and China instead. Its an absolute Gift from Heaven. I hope Trump can do more irreparable damage to the United States' standing in the world before a Democrat takes over in 2020.

Well, I guess if anyone wants to do something to help out without being able to tell us, this next year would awesome. Just make sure we don’t find out or you’re going to jail!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »

This is great. The United States has completely destroyed the last shreds of credibility it had as an ally. The only pro-american muslim group in the middle east is going to get steamrolled by Turkey and the US is even supporting it. Erdogan has cucked the US one time after another from Imprisoning the Missionary and buying the Russian Missiles to supporting Maduro and Trump is still doing him favours. Europe, Japan, SK. all will now turn away from the meaningless promises of being protected by America and Turn to Russia and China instead. Its an absolute Gift from Heaven. I hope Trump can do more irreparable damage to the United States' standing in the world before a Democrat takes over in 2020.

Ah, but Trump Tower Istambul's profits will be safe!

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 11:14:35 AM »

Here was Mr. Trump in June, bragging about saving the Kurds from Erdogan:

And, Republicans? Republican voters, Republican politicians, Republican talking heads, consultants, and propagandists, here's a little heads up for you: you're the Kurds.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »

Can Congress block this?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »

He’s the CiC. I guess they can cut funds or unauthorize Trumps presence in the area.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:35 PM »

And here I thought the purpose of the US military was to protect the US, not the Kurds.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2019, 12:29:28 PM »

Trump is unfit for office. I apologize for supporting him. He is not "better than Hillary".
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »

I'm all for reducing our presence in the middle East but as usual, Trump tried to do something good in the worst way possible. I just don't understand the support at this point.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »

Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »

And here I thought the purpose of the US military was to protect the US, not the Kurds.

By that logic we should bring all the troops home, all over the world. Our allies can fend for themselves.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2019, 01:30:58 PM by roxas11 »

And here I thought the purpose of the US military was to protect the US, not the Kurd's.

And here I thought the US protects its allies that it made promises to.
especially after trump told the Kurd's to dismantle their defenses

Look if the US does not want to have the backs of its loyal allies that's fine but make no mistake there will be huge consequences because of that.

Trump has proven that his words can not be trusted
China,Iran, and north Korea now have yet another reason not to sign on to any the deal that Trump offers them because he could just as easily stab them in the back just like he did the his loyal ally the Kurd's  
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2019, 01:29:49 PM »

Again, Putin and the Russian gov are laughing their asses-off.
Help insert a man-child, narcissistic, Orange Clown as US President, and watch "the West" dismantle itself from the inside.
Thank you trumptards for voting for this Moron.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2019, 01:39:24 PM »

The thing about the "NATO ally>communist insurgents" talking point is that, yes, the Kurds are pinkos or whatever to an extent that makes even me a little uncomfortable, but they're also 1. the closest thing to a democratic polity in the Middle East other than Israel and 2. the faction that fought and died to break the back of the territorial caliphate while Erdogan sat clucking his tongue and twiddling his thumbs until like the last year or two. Turkey, meanwhile, is an increasingly despotic country that should never have been allowed into NATO in the first place, and if NATO actually saw itself as the nucleus of a John McCain "concert of democracies" rather than a mere instrument of US hard power projection, it would give Erdogan a good thrashing and send him packing.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »

All we all do is focus on one outrage of Trump's, to another.

This man is NOT going to stop. He is running a con the likes of which our country has never seen.

We need to give him the biggest BOOT! out of office our country can muster.

Those of you still with this tyrant criminal, I don't know what to say except what goes around, comes around and you will pay for turning a blind eye.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »

And here I thought fighting ISIS helps to protect the US.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »

Defying Pentagon, Trump Endorses Turkish Operation in Syria
Defying the advice of top defense officials, U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday endorsed a Turkish military operation into northern Syria, paving the way for a bloody assault on the Kurdish minority population there and a possible resurgence of the Islamic State.

U.S. troops have now left the border area after the abrupt shift in policy, which came after a phone call between Trump and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan this weekend. U.S. defense officials had sought to maintain a small American presence in the region to continue operations against the Islamic State terrorist group and safeguard the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) against repeated threats of a Turkish invasion.

But their recommendations seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

“Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria. The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces, having defeated the ISIS territorial ‘Caliphate,’ will no longer be in the immediate area,” according to a White House statement.

As a non-military guy, this seems to me that the military is complying with Mr. Trump's order, while doing everything they can to roadblock Erdogan's ability to attack the people who were our allies up until we bailed on them yesterday night.

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »

Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2019, 02:27:41 PM »

And here I thought fighting ISIS helps to protect the US.

Our methods of fighting terrorists tend to create more.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »

Pathetic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to: