Presidential Records Act of 1978

(1/2) > >>

A18:
Discuss.

Emsworth:
I'm not familiar with the details of the act's provisions. On first glance, it appears to be constitutional.

A18:
It makes the president's papers and such public property.

Emsworth:
Quote from: A18 on December 28, 2005, 03:49:40 PM

It makes the president's papers and such public property.

Only those papers submitted to the President in his official capacity become public property. If the law reaches the President's private effects, then it would certainly be unconstitutional. However, as far as I am aware, it only applies to "materials ... created or received by the President, his immediate staff, or a unit or individual of the Executive Office of the President ... in the course of conducting activities which relate to or have an effect upon the carrying out of the constitutional, statutory, or other official or ceremonial duties of the President" (44 U.S.C. 2201).

A18:
Quote from: Emsworth on December 28, 2005, 04:23:19 PM

...[A]s far as I am aware, it only applies to "materials ... created or received by the President, his immediate staff, or a unit or individual of the Executive Office of the President ... in the course of conducting activities which relate to or have an effect upon the carrying out of the constitutional, statutory, or other official or ceremonial duties of the President" (44 U.S.C. 2201).

How does that contradict what I said?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page