Trump Calls for Mitt Romney's Impeachment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:49:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Calls for Mitt Romney's Impeachment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump Calls for Mitt Romney's Impeachment  (Read 2395 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »

Trump didn't even bother to specify on what (legal) grounds Mitt should be impeachment. Last time I checked being a "pompous ass" didn't exactly classify as a federal crime.

Of course not, because calling for Romney to be impeached is childish BS. The same as his stupid and ridiculous idea of putting alegators in a "moot" to keep the Mexicans out or demanding Schiff's arrest and execution. I have a feeling this guy gets worse every year, and we didn't even reach the election year 2020 yet.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »

Trump's strategy is to immediately counterattack when attacked, and to not let his opponents get a second wind.  This is no different.

Trump should point out, relentlessly, how Mitt Romney trashed him when he viewed it expedient to do so, and sucked up to him in other circumstances when it seemed expedient to do so.  This says more about Mitt Romney than it does about Trump.  Romney called Trump a "con man" and a "carnival barker" in early 2016, but after the 2016 election, he had lamb chops with Trump in a pricey restaurant and pretty much begged to be Secretary of State.  Somehow, Mitt Romney isn't winning me over on his "character" arguments.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »

Trump is very much like Romney, Trump was a Reform Party candidate, before he was endorsed by Palin. Romney is like Trump, he passed Obamacare. They are so similar. In which they want each others head. But, China gave North Korea our secrets during 1996
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 12:31:29 PM »

Romney won in 2012 and was re-elected in 2016.  During his second term, he announced a crackdown on millionaire tax cheats that resulted in Trump and his organization being indicted for multiple financial crimes.  Trump claims it's all a witch hunt and personal vendetta by Romney, and calls for his impeachment.
Sir Tiki
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.28, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »

Romney won and was re-elected. My immediate thought was that Romney would be undergoing some Watergate-style second term scandal, but upon reflection, I'd probably just chalk it up to Trump being Trump. Maybe post-Obama he became a Democrat again?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2019, 12:36:13 PM »

Yeah, something like President Romney trying to reform H-1B visas in some way to help CEO donors and Trump thinks it promotes anchor babies, or something.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »

Trump just wants to stay in the headlines as usual and the best way to do that is by attacking the Whoever the President is
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »

Trump's strategy is to immediately counterattack when attacked, and to not let his opponents get a second wind.  This is no different.

Trump should point out, relentlessly, how Mitt Romney trashed him when he viewed it expedient to do so, and sucked up to him in other circumstances when it seemed expedient to do so.  This says more about Mitt Romney than it does about Trump.  Romney called Trump a "con man" and a "carnival barker" in early 2016, but after the 2016 election, he had lamb chops with Trump in a pricey restaurant and pretty much begged to be Secretary of State.  Somehow, Mitt Romney isn't winning me over on his "character" arguments.

Why the hell do you need Romney to assist you with ascertaining trump's "character"?
It is blatantly obvious that trump is a vile, narcissistic, man-child of a human being.
PS: You are parroting trump with your "begged to be Sec of State" comment, so don't try to sound like you are telling us something new. (That was in trump's tweet.)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2019, 01:09:37 PM »

So what, so many politicians in the past join cabinets of Presidents they disagree with . If Kerry won in 2004 and he wanted to interview John McCain for the the Sec of State position , McCain would take it even though he and other Republicans called Kerry’s foreign policy dangerous and cutting and running in the campaign.

The fact is Trump broke the law Fuzzy and even right wing legal experts like Judge Napolitano have said so and Napolitano is no where near a liberal . He went after Obama hard for 8 years and harder than many many other Fox Pundits do as well .   
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »

okay so like, I'm ready for a year and a half of President Pence and then legit I'd vote for Romney/Haley in 2020, even given my distaste for Romney.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »

This says more about Mitt Romney than it does about Trump.

Spoken like a true Trump fanatic.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2019, 04:51:29 PM by Old School Republican »

Why do people still think Trump is an alpha male, he is the biggest snowflake in politics right now. He cries about everything. Being Alpha is not necessarily good but Trump is not close to one and if he faced a campaign team like Bush 2000 he would lose big time. Karl Rove would have obliterated Trump in every way possible, and Trump would do nothing but complain how Rove is bullying him.

Im sure if Rove was given full control over a campaign , that access hollywood tape would have been leaked right before the South Carolina primary or Super Tuesday which would have destroyed Trump before he could react and that would just be one of the things that would happen. Rove was an expert of taking people's perceived strengths and turning into one of their biggest weaknesses(He did it with McCain, Gore and Kerry). Rove would have made Trump's business record as a total liability , would make him look unpatriotic , and would make him look like the opposite of an Alpha Male.

I am not a fan of Rove one bit but he is exactly what is needed against someone like Trump as when you run against Trump you are not running a normal civil election campaign but Trump will make things personal and go dirty from day one so you have to be ready to do the same in return and Rove is an expert at that
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »

Why do people still think Trump is an alpha male, he is the biggest snowflake in politics right now. He cries about everything. Being Alpha is not necessarily good but Trump is not close to one and if he faced a campaign team like Bush 2000 he would lose big time. Karl Rove would have obliterated Trump in every way possible, and Trump would do nothing but complain how Rove is bullying him.

Im sure if Rove was given full control over a campaign , that access hollywood tape would have been leaked right before the South Carolina primary or Super Tuesday which would have destroyed Trump before he could react and that would just be one of the things that would happen. Rove was an expert of taking people's perceived strengths and turning into one of their biggest weaknesses(He did it with McCain, Gore and Kerry). Rove would have made Trump's business record as a total liability , would make him look unpatriotic , and would make him look like the opposite of an Alpha Male.

I am not a fan of Rove one bit but he is exactly what is needed against someone like Trump as when you run against Trump you are not running a normal civil election campaign but Trump will make things personal and go dirty from day one so you have to be ready to do the same in return and Rove is an expert at that

Rove was overrated as a political genius in my mind. He was damned lucky that a few hundred ballots in FL saved him from being a permenant second tier consultant in 2000. As it was, it took American Crossroads getting blown out of the water in 2012, plus his silly live refusal on Fox to accept Ohio went to Obama, to do that.

This said, I agree we have to fight Trump with a switchblade from day 1. The key though is to run primarily on economic issues. The few persuadalbe votes could be moved to abandon Trump if presented an easily damning case his populism was all phony and he's more of a Richie Rich guy than Romney ever could be.

I'm not saying abandon the personal issues altogether, but they'll get enough coverage to largely take care of themselves. Anyone who whom even grudging accepts Trump's complete lack of character and suitability to be president is 99% unflippable at this point.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2019, 05:53:00 PM »

Rove was overrated as a political genius in my mind. He was damned lucky that a few hundred ballots in FL saved him from being a permenant second tier consultant in 2000. As it was, it took American Crossroads getting blown out of the water in 2012, plus his silly live refusal on Fox to accept Ohio went to Obama, to do that.

This said, I agree we have to fight Trump with a switchblade from day 1. The key though is to run primarily on economic issues. The few persuadalbe votes could be moved to abandon Trump if presented an easily damning case his populism was all phony and he's more of a Richie Rich guy than Romney ever could be.

I'm not saying abandon the personal issues altogether, but they'll get enough coverage to largely take care of themselves. Anyone who whom even grudging accepts Trump's complete lack of character and suitability to be president is 99% unflippable at this point.

With the fundamentals the way they were in 2000, Gore should have won that election with 300+ EV so Bush winning is actually an accomplishment and Rove hasnt been a campaign manager or even influential in one since Bush in 2004.

Obviously I disagree with you on the economic policy part because I actually think Trump's economic policies have been good . So instead I think this is the campaign that should be run

This would mine:

1. Burst the Bubble He is Some Sort of Nationalist and tough on Radical Islam

- Mention over and over that Saudi Arabia murdered a US Permanent Resident and Trump sided with the Saudis

- Mention over and over that Trump is giving a Sharia State(Saudi Arabia) Nuclear Weapons and remind how the Saudis funds terrorists and Trump wants to trust them with Nukes

- Mention how Trump is negotiating with the Tailban, the same people who harbored the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11(I favor withdrawal too but not in this manner)

- Mention how Trump trusted a person who was a member of the Communist KGB over US intelligence

2. How Trump isnt doing enough against China

- He called someone who he appointed a bigger threat than the Chinese

- He has done nothing regarding the Hong Kong protests and even expressed sympathy to the communist government

- He withdrew from an agreement which would have allied us with nations who are opposed to the Communist Chinese Government

Why I would do the first two things: Trump is viewed as someone who is a nationalist, tough on China and tough on Radical Islam  . The media figures on the right use it to praise him , the figures on the left use it to attack him as reckless and divisive. What needs to be made clear is Trump is none of those 3 things and I find it stunning he isnt challanged on these 3 things and especially  the nationalist part because he is no such thing .

3. Attack his personal conduct

- This is obvious

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »

Romney won in 2012 and was re-elected in 2016.  During his second term, he announced a crackdown on millionaire tax cheats that resulted in Trump and his organization being indicted for multiple financial crimes.  Trump claims it's all a witch hunt and personal vendetta by Romney, and calls for his impeachment.

This would never happen, as Romney is a millionaire tax cheat himself

Only Nixon could go to China.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2019, 06:03:10 PM »

With the fundamentals the way they were in 2000, Gore should have won that election with 300+ EV so Bush winning is actually an accomplishment and Rove hasnt been a campaign manager or even influential in one since Bush in 2004.

Obviously I disagree with you on the economic policy part because I actually think Trump's economic policies have been good . So instead I think this is the campaign that should be run

This would mine:

1. Burst the Bubble He is Some Sort of Nationalist and tough on Radical Islam

- Mention over and over that Saudi Arabia murdered a US Permanent Resident and Trump sided with the Saudis

- Mention over and over that Trump is giving a Sharia State(Saudi Arabia) Nuclear Weapons and remind how the Saudis funds terrorists and Trump wants to trust them with Nukes

- Mention how Trump is negotiating with the Tailban, the same people who harbored the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11(I favor withdrawal too but not in this manner)

- Mention how Trump trusted a person who was a member of the Communist KGB over US intelligence

2. How Trump isnt doing enough against China

- He called someone who he appointed a bigger threat than the Chinese

- He has done nothing regarding the Hong Kong protests and even expressed sympathy to the communist government

- He withdrew from an agreement which would have allied us with nations who are opposed to the Communist Chinese Government

Why I would do the first two things: Trump is viewed as someone who is a nationalist, tough on China and tough on Radical Islam  . The media figures on the right use it to praise him , the figures on the left use it to attack him as reckless and divisive. What needs to be made clear is Trump is none of those 3 things and I find it stunning he isnt challanged on these 3 things and especially  the nationalist part because he is no such thing .

3. Attack his personal conduct

- This is obvious

You and I obviously disagree vehemently over Trump's economic policy, even if we steadfastly agree on his utter lack of character and fitness for office. I'll simply note that Trump's economic policies--in practice as opposed to what he preached on the campaign trail--are not popular with the voters. Wink

While perhaps the "not hard enough on China" is worth looking at (I agree with your analysis of being ineffective against radical Islam in practice, but his demagoguery against Muslim at home and abroad makes him electorally immune to such attacks). However, to be effective it would have to be wrapped in to a campaign attacking his economic policy, which again is the closest thing he has to an Achellis Heel among the few remaining swing voters.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »

Hot take. Impeach and remove Trump. Then we can have a discussion on Mitt Romney's suitability in office. If Pence gets tossed (hopefully not cause I'm on the Papa Pence train) can we please elevate Mitt Romney to the White House and correct the disastrous mistake of 2012 2016?

Fixed. Wink
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2019, 06:25:17 PM »

Hot take. Impeach and remove Trump. Then we can have a discussion on Mitt Romney's suitability in office. If Pence gets tossed (hopefully not cause I'm on the Papa Pence train) can we please elevate Mitt Romney to the White House and correct the disastrous mistake of 2012 2016?

Fixed. Wink

Let’s compromise and say correct the disastrous mistake of 2012 AND 2016
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »

How will Republicans defend this one?

I won't.  The fact is, we have a self-worshipping moron as a president.  That doesn't mean I'm going to support a Democrat though.

If you vote third party or Democratic, you're sending a message that his behavior will not be tolerated.

If you vote for Trump, you are directly endorsing and encouraging his behavior.  Even if you do so begrudgingly, that is irrelevant.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2019, 07:20:41 PM »

So what, so many politicians in the past join cabinets of Presidents they disagree with . If Kerry won in 2004 and he wanted to interview John McCain for the the Sec of State position , McCain would take it even though he and other Republicans called Kerry’s foreign policy dangerous and cutting and running in the campaign.

The fact is Trump broke the law Fuzzy and even right wing legal experts like Judge Napolitano have said so and Napolitano is no where near a liberal . He went after Obama hard for 8 years and harder than many many other Fox Pundits do as well .   

Then let impeachment happen.  But let the entire House vote to authorize the inquiry.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »

Trump's strategy is to immediately counterattack when attacked, and to not let his opponents get a second wind.  This is no different.

Trump should point out, relentlessly, how Mitt Romney trashed him when he viewed it expedient to do so, and sucked up to him in other circumstances when it seemed expedient to do so.  This says more about Mitt Romney than it does about Trump.  Romney called Trump a "con man" and a "carnival barker" in early 2016, but after the 2016 election, he had lamb chops with Trump in a pricey restaurant and pretty much begged to be Secretary of State.  Somehow, Mitt Romney isn't winning me over on his "character" arguments.

Then let impeachment happen.  But let the entire House vote to authorize the inquiry.

I agree if it’s judicial committee who has to vote to authorize not entire house cause if you do analogy to court cases :

Judicial Committee: DA’s office deciding whether to file charges
Full House : Grand Jury Deciding whether to indict
Senate : Jury deciding whether to find defendant guilty or not guilty
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »

Trump's strategy is to immediately counterattack when attacked, and to not let his opponents get a second wind.  This is no different.

Trump should point out, relentlessly, how Mitt Romney trashed him when he viewed it expedient to do so, and sucked up to him in other circumstances when it seemed expedient to do so.  This says more about Mitt Romney than it does about Trump.  Romney called Trump a "con man" and a "carnival barker" in early 2016, but after the 2016 election, he had lamb chops with Trump in a pricey restaurant and pretty much begged to be Secretary of State.  Somehow, Mitt Romney isn't winning me over on his "character" arguments.

Then let impeachment happen.  But let the entire House vote to authorize the inquiry.

I agree if it’s judicial committee who has to vote to authorize not entire house cause if you do analogy to court cases :

Judicial Committee: DA’s office deciding whether to file charges
Full House : Grand Jury Deciding whether to indict
Senate : Jury deciding whether to find defendant guilty or not guilty

This is the best reference I've found for an official procedure.  From "House Practice: A Guide to the Rules, Precedents and Procedures of the House (Chapter 27: Impeachment)":

Sec. 6 . In General; Initiation and Referral of Charges

Generally

Under the modern practice, an impeachment is normally instituted
  by the House by the adoption of a resolution calling for a committee
  investigation of charges against the officer in question. This
  committee may, after investigation, recommend the dismissal of charges
  or it may recommend impeachment. Impeachment--Selected Materials,
  Committee on the Judiciary, H. Doc. No. 93-7, Oct. 1973, p 699. A
  resolution recommending impeachment is reported to the House
  simultaneously with the articles of impeachment setting forth the
  grounds for the proposed action. Sec. 8, infra. Following the adoption
  of a resolution to impeach, the House appoints managers to conduct the
  impeachment trial in the Senate. The Senate is then informed of these
  facts by resolution. Manual Sec. 607; Deschler Ch 14 Sec. 9. When this
  resolution reaches the Senate, the Senate advises the House as to when
  the Senate will receive the managers appointed by the House. The
  managers then present themselves and the impeachment articles to the
  Senate, the House reserving the right to file additional articles
  later. Manual Sec. 608a; Deschler Ch 14 Sec. Sec. 10, 11.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2019, 10:05:56 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2019, 10:11:25 PM by FM Scott🦋 »

Agree with this.

Mitt Romney is a spineless chameleon who talks a big game and then votes in lockstep with Trump's agenda anyway.  In 2016 he gave a televised speech (which literally no one asked for) bashing Trump calling him "a phony, a fraud."  Eight months later Trump wins the election and he begs like a bitch for the SOS position, then later for his endorsement in the Senate race - and then he has the gall to campaign on being more of an immigration hawk than Trump is.  Pa-thet-ic.

Literally no one cares what Mitt Romney thinks except for fair-weather #resistance liberals, followers of his weird religion, and OSR.  As far as I'm concerned, he deserves all the flack he gets from both the left and right.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2019, 11:01:12 PM »

Agree with this.

Mitt Romney is a spineless chameleon who talks a big game and then votes in lockstep with Trump's agenda anyway.  In 2016 he gave a televised speech (which literally no one asked for) bashing Trump calling him "a phony, a fraud."  Eight months later Trump wins the election and he begs like a bitch for the SOS position, then later for his endorsement in the Senate race - and then he has the gall to campaign on being more of an immigration hawk than Trump is.  Pa-thet-ic.

Literally no one cares what Mitt Romney thinks except for fair-weather #resistance liberals, followers of his weird religion, and OSR.  As far as I'm concerned, he deserves all the flack he gets from both the left and right.

The state of Utah seems to like him a lot as well and lol I’m not even the biggest Romney fan on the forum . Did you forget about TCG and Lincoln Republican
UncleSam

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2019, 11:08:04 PM »

How will Republicans defend this one?

I won't.  The fact is, we have a self-worshipping moron as a president.  That doesn't mean I'm going to support a Democrat though.

Will you at least vote third party or write in then
Why would a Republican vote against their interests lol. No one should need to apologize for voting for their beliefs even if the candidate in question sucks. Same goes for Democrats who vote for IE Bob Menendez. Vote for the policies you want to see enacted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies