2019-2020 NHL Season (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:26:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2019-2020 NHL Season (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL Season  (Read 12246 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 23, 2019, 05:37:57 PM »

I don't have the highest hopes for the pens this year, but I'll back them like always.

Didn't expect Buffalo to be doing this well
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 12:40:11 AM »

I don't have the highest hopes for the pens this year, but I'll back them like always.
I'm a Leafs & Pens fan.

Apparently a cryptocurrency company Malkin invested millions into got busted for a huge amount of fraud and POSSIBLY (but not likely) he could be in a lot of legal troubles.

Nah. By all accounts he was among the duped victims (hopefully true).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 10:15:23 PM »

Sid Da Kid going on IR for 6 weeks is not doing my fantasy team any favors.  Cry Sad Squinting
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 01:37:20 AM »

Big time. So are the Flyers , curse their souls.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »

The sport has declined since the enforcer Red Wings have all retired; consequently, when fighting on the further decline, since blood is involved, the sport isnt entertaining. As fewer people are watching hockey, as a whole

That has to really suck for those old school enforcers and goons to be made useless and loose their jobs. One of the Leafs enforcers Wade Belak killed himself, I am assuming it was related to his losing his job. The league wants to move things in a more skilled non violent direction.

Look at these old school bench clearing brawls:

Canada vs U.S.S.R 1987 Bench clearing brawl  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JZxKe2n2g

Quebec Nordiques Montreal Canadiens bench clearing brawl part1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU89VzMeWyM

Recently watched one or two documentaries about enforcers in hockey. I can't remember their names but they're extremely good watching. The point is that European style play with heavy checking and no fighting creates far worse risk of concussion injuries, and NHL players hate having to go over there for a season or two to play because of it. While it might seem counterintuitive, heavy boarding slash checking is much riskier for causing concussions than fighting. The prospect of some goon punching you up if you take a cheap shot at the other players that injures them is a restraint on such Behavior and actually reduces concussion threats overall.

It's actually changed my view on fighting in hockey.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 12:24:22 PM »

The NHL has postponed its draft and its award show due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

NHL:
The National Hockey League today announced the postponements of the 2020 NHL Scouting Combine, the 2020 Bridgestone NHL Awards, and the 2020 NHL Draft, which were originally scheduled for June 1-6 in Buffalo, N.Y., June 18 in Las Vegas, and June 26-27 in Montreal, respectively, due to the ongoing uncertainty resulting from the coronavirus.
Now just waiting on the official cancelled season announcement to collect my cash. I won my brother's work hockey pool this year.

Silver Linings and all that. Smiley

Kind of surprised they don't just hold the draft via teleconference. Okay, we missed the media pics of the newly picked kids getting up on stage with the owner and awkwardly donning the new team jersey and ball cap, but that's just irrelevant to be importance of the draft itself. What gives?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »

Now just waiting on the official cancelled season announcement to collect my cash. I won my brother's work hockey pool this year.

Silver Linings and all that. Smiley

Kind of surprised they don't just hold the draft via teleconference. Okay, we missed the media pics of the newly picked kids getting up on stage with the owner and awkwardly donning the new team jersey and ball cap, but that's just irrelevant to be importance of the draft itself. What gives?
First, they would need to officially end the season instead of this current hiatus.

Secondly, they would need to decide if the current standings will translate into the order of the draft picks, or if they want to determine the draft order in another way.

Thirdly, they would need to decide if teams that gave up draft picks for expiring contracts (for the purposes of attempting to win the Stanley Cup) will be compensated or not. Likely not, but they'll need to at least consider it.

Well, sure. But aren't those all decisions worth making rather than canceling the draft. If they're not convinced about canceling the season, at least they can delay the draft perhaps, just like they are with the season.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 11:39:56 AM »

The draft lottery was a friggin joke.
The team that gets Lafreniere with the 1st is guaranteed to be basically somewhere between the 9th best team in the league this year and the 24th best team this year. Worst 7 teams are out... lol.

If Chicago, Arizona, Minnesota or New Jersey (via VAN) get 1st overall, it's not a huge deal.

If Winnipeg, Rangers, Florida or Columbus get 1st overall, it will be shady and people will be annoyed.

If Calgary, Nashville, Toronto, Edmonton, Islanders, Carolina, Montreal or Pittsburgh get 1st overall, fans are gonna lose it and call bulls___ on this draft lotto being "fair".

Detroit had the best chance to get him they missed, Detroit had the best chance to get the #2, they missed. Detroit had the best chance to get the #3 they missed. It's a sad sad day.
They were a MACHINE for a while there. I'm talking 07 08 09 10 specifically.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Fillpula at center (one played LW usually though) with Franzen, Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Cleary (and Hossa for a year!) at wing. Then you have great role players like Draper Maltby Helm. Osgood in net backed up by Hasek/Howard. LIDSTROM (!!!) anchoring a blueline with Kronwall, Rafalski, Stuart.

It's okay in my mind that thet kind if suck now. They had their day. They will again, too. But for now, it's cool.

Detroit has had some other incredible talent in the 1990s and this is gonna sound silly but it's disappointing they only were able to win 3 cups they won the President's Trophy 6 times from 94-95 to 07-08 and were only able to win the cup in 2 of those seasons. I will take 4 cups in 12 years, but I genuinely believe they could have won 7-8.

How's that ratio compared to the sharks?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 11:30:12 PM »

So the Stanley Cup Finals will feature two very traditional hockey markets- Tampa and Dallas!

Rocket Richard must be rolling over in his grave.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies