2019-2020 NHL Season
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:28:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2019-2020 NHL Season
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL Season  (Read 12203 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »

Now just waiting on the official cancelled season announcement to collect my cash. I won my brother's work hockey pool this year.

Silver Linings and all that. Smiley

Kind of surprised they don't just hold the draft via teleconference. Okay, we missed the media pics of the newly picked kids getting up on stage with the owner and awkwardly donning the new team jersey and ball cap, but that's just irrelevant to be importance of the draft itself. What gives?
First, they would need to officially end the season instead of this current hiatus.

Secondly, they would need to decide if the current standings will translate into the order of the draft picks, or if they want to determine the draft order in another way.

Thirdly, they would need to decide if teams that gave up draft picks for expiring contracts (for the purposes of attempting to win the Stanley Cup) will be compensated or not. Likely not, but they'll need to at least consider it.

Well, sure. But aren't those all decisions worth making rather than canceling the draft. If they're not convinced about canceling the season, at least they can delay the draft perhaps, just like they are with the season.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2020, 11:30:56 AM »

The NHL is floating a plan that could see games at 4 arenas (one per division) if and when the season resumes.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2020, 07:03:00 PM »

They're dreaming.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2020, 07:37:56 PM »

There isnt gonna be any spots til 2021, the players can still get sick
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2020, 06:52:43 AM »

This site keeps getting better and better!  Oh how my heart warmed to find a sub-section of hockey fans.  If I could reach through the screen and hug you, even in this COVID world, I would. 

Keep being awesome!
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2020, 09:06:07 AM »

This site keeps getting better and better!  Oh how my heart warmed to find a sub-section of hockey fans.  If I could reach through the screen and hug you, even in this COVID world, I would.  

Keep being awesome!
The thread is stickied by a mod too!

Which team(s) do you support? Blue Jackets?
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »

This site keeps getting better and better!  Oh how my heart warmed to find a sub-section of hockey fans.  If I could reach through the screen and hug you, even in this COVID world, I would.  

Keep being awesome!
The thread is stickied by a mod too!

Which team(s) do you support? Blue Jackets?

Blue Jackets fan since their inception!  I stumbled into hockey in the 90s, cheered for NJ, having no clue who was who (I just picked a team at random), and I've been hooked ever since.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2020, 05:31:11 PM »

Blue Jackets fan since their inception!  I stumbled into hockey in the 90s, cheered for NJ, having no clue who was who (I just picked a team at random), and I've been hooked ever since.
What do you see being their reason for not contending right now? Obviously their D core is good enough, or just needs very minor tweek. The goaltending looks to be "good enough" to get into the playoffs, right? High end forwards is an issue, but no team has ever needed incredible wingers with a good center lineup and a good D core. Do you guys need another Dubois-level center?
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2020, 01:06:01 PM »

Consistency.  Last year we had it, this year with swap outs and injuries, and people trying to find their groove, it just never happened.  When we are "on" we can be amazing, and the guys are tenacious even when they give up the first goal.  The problem is they are just so inconsistent.  I am pleasantly surprised by Elvis, but he still needs another full season before he's optimal. 

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2020, 07:37:54 AM »

Just thought I'd drop this classic right here as we wait for hockey to eventually come back at some point. It still blows my mind that an NHL coach did an interview completely and totally unfiltered and just said everything he thought out loud on camera.

JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2020, 09:41:44 AM »

The AHL has cancelled the remainder of its season and the postseason, and as a result, there will be no Calder Cup for the first time in its history. The AHL is the top level of minor league hockey.

NHL.com:

The American Hockey League, the top development league for the NHL, canceled the remainder of its regular season and the Calder Cup Playoffs on Monday.

The AHL had announced March 12 a suspension of its season due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, the same day the NHL paused its season for the same reason.

[...]

It will be the first time since the AHL was formed in 1936-37 that the Calder Cup will not be awarded.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »

Good, athletes make too much money
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »

The NHL has released its Return To Play plan to finish the remainder of the 2019-20 season.

Key details:
- The regular season has concluded.
- A 24-team playoff (12 per conference, sorted by points percentage as of 03.12.2020) will determine who will win hoist the Cup beginning at a date to be announced.
- The top 4 in each conference will play round-robin games to determine seeding, played by regular season OT/SO rules.
- There will be two hub cities that have yet to be announced.
- Teams are restricted to 50 personnel.
- The NHL Draft will be held after the season has concluded.
- The other 7 teams (plus the 8 eliminated teams from the qualifying round) will take part in the NHL Draft lottery, held on June 26th.
- No training camps prior to July 1st (Phase 3).
- The following cities are under consideration as hub cities: Chicago, IL; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; Los Angeles, CA; Las Vegas, NV; Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN; Pittsbugh, PA; Edmonton, AB; Toronto, ON; and Vancouver, BC.
- The first two rounds of the 16-team (traditional postseason) could be either best of 5 or best of 7.
- The Conference Finals and Stanley Cup will stay best of 7.
- The Qualifying round (seeds 5-12) will be best of 5 under postseason OT rules.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2020, 05:32:08 PM »

Hawks vs Oilers, if I was an Oilers fan I'd be pissed!  But I'm not, so I'm happy.  What a beautiful league.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2020, 09:30:19 PM »

Looks like these are the only teams are missing the playoffs...

WESTERN CONFERENCE
- Anaheim Ducks
- Los Angeles Kings
- San Jose Sharks

EASTERN CONFERENCE
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- New Jersey Devils
- Ottawa Senators
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »

It's a shame the Seattle expansion team isn't ready to play. It would have made for an interesting symmetry if Seattle were involved in two pandemic plagued Stanley Cups. (1919 & 2020)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2020, 04:14:01 AM »

Consistency.  Last year we had it, this year with swap outs and injuries, and people trying to find their groove, it just never happened.  When we are "on" we can be amazing, and the guys are tenacious even when they give up the first goal.  The problem is they are just so inconsistent.  I am pleasantly surprised by Elvis, but he still needs another full season before he's optimal. 

It's official. My Leafs are playing your Blue Jackets in a special best-of-5 series to win a playoff spot. The winner will play one of Boston Tampa Philly Washington in round 1 of the playoffs.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2020, 04:38:14 AM »

Looks like these are the only teams are missing the playoffs...

WESTERN CONFERENCE
- Anaheim Ducks
- Los Angeles Kings
- San Jose Sharks

EASTERN CONFERENCE
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- New Jersey Devils
- Ottawa Senators

I am 100% certain the Wings were only making the Playoffs the last few years through the sheer energy of Mr.I
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2020, 05:58:29 AM »

It's official. My Leafs are playing your Blue Jackets in a special best-of-5 series to win a playoff spot. The winner will play one of Boston Tampa Philly Washington in round 1 of the playoffs.
[/quote]
If the Jackets are going to lose I'd rather it be to a Canadian team.  I don't see us coming out on top honestly.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2020, 09:00:25 AM »

80% of teams make the playoffs and the Devils STILL miss out. Ugh. What a joke franchise.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2020, 10:04:39 PM »

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/maple-leafs-star-auston-matthews-tests-positive-for-covid-19

Austin Matthews of the Leafs has Covid!?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2020, 05:57:50 PM »

The draft lottery was a friggin joke.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2020, 10:06:08 PM »

The team that gets Lafreniere with the 1st is guaranteed to be basically somewhere between the 9th best team in the league this year and the 24th best team this year. Worst 7 teams are out... lol.

If Chicago, Arizona, Minnesota or New Jersey (via VAN) get 1st overall, it's not a huge deal.

If Winnipeg, Rangers, Florida or Columbus get 1st overall, it will be shady and people will be annoyed.

If Calgary, Nashville, Toronto, Edmonton, Islanders, Carolina, Montreal or Pittsburgh get 1st overall, fans are gonna lose it and call bulls___ on this draft lotto being "fair".
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2020, 11:20:14 PM »

The team that gets Lafreniere with the 1st is guaranteed to be basically somewhere between the 9th best team in the league this year and the 24th best team this year. Worst 7 teams are out... lol.

If Chicago, Arizona, Minnesota or New Jersey (via VAN) get 1st overall, it's not a huge deal.

If Winnipeg, Rangers, Florida or Columbus get 1st overall, it will be shady and people will be annoyed.

If Calgary, Nashville, Toronto, Edmonton, Islanders, Carolina, Montreal or Pittsburgh get 1st overall, fans are gonna lose it and call bulls___ on this draft lotto being "fair".

Detroit had the best chance to get him they missed, Detroit had the best chance to get the #2, they missed. Detroit had the best chance to get the #3 they missed. It's a sad sad day.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2020, 12:40:11 AM »

Detroit had the best chance to get him they missed, Detroit had the best chance to get the #2, they missed. Detroit had the best chance to get the #3 they missed. It's a sad sad day.
They were a MACHINE for a while there. I'm talking 07 08 09 10 specifically.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Fillpula at center (one played LW usually though) with Franzen, Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Cleary (and Hossa for a year!) at wing. Then you have great role players like Draper Maltby Helm. Osgood in net backed up by Hasek/Howard. LIDSTROM (!!!) anchoring a blueline with Kronwall, Rafalski, Stuart.

It's okay in my mind that thet kind if suck now. They had their day. They will again, too. But for now, it's cool.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies