LC 4.8: Internet restrictions act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:30:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 4.8: Internet restrictions act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 4.8: Internet restrictions act (Failed)  (Read 846 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: September 29, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »

I am always wary of attempts to regulate communication like this, such as what PSOL mentioned or even in the third clause: what is "outright racism"? Who polices it? I would concur with the former Chancellor that we need to get very significant rewording before I would sign this bill. As it stands, should the Council pass it, it'll be vetoed.

Good points. As per U.S v Stevens and Brown v. Entertainment Merchants association, the Supreme court has been very clear that the government cant invent new categories of speech to ban. So II and III are facially unconstitutional. (Not to mention "outright racism " would include advocating for affirmative action which I cant imagine yall would want to ban persons from discussing. ) it also is viewpoint discrimination which is again facially unconstitutional. The government cant say its ok to say bad things about racism but not good things about racism... thats crazy illegal and crazy fascist thought policing. In Atlasia you have the right to believe in and speak in favor of terrible ideas ... thats called freedom of speech.

Plus a Region cant exactly ban internet websites where the only personal jurisdiction contacts are that such website is on a global network. I mean, if a Canadian posted something racist on his Facebook wall, what authority does Lincoln think it has to punish that Canadian or Facebook or whoever? The minimum contracts for personal jurisdiction require purposeful targeting and some sort of transaction. Passive viewing of a global webpage, absent more would not qualify as something that can be prohibited regionally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies