How to plot election data to a different map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:25:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  Talk Elections Q & A
  How To (Moderator: Virginiá)
  How to plot election data to a different map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to plot election data to a different map  (Read 484 times)
cartoman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2019, 10:32:37 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to election mapping and have been reading up on the redistricting in NC. Once the maps are finalized, I'd like to do an analysis of past elections using these maps. however, I've never done an election analysis with changing boundaries before. Would you guys know of any good tutorials or walkthroughs of how to do this? I googled this question multiple times but was not able to find anything good.

My assumption is that I would have to get the precinct data and then aggregate them up to the new lines? I assume that precincts can't cross state legislative lines, but don't know if that is accurate. If any of you guys have advice or know a tutorial I could use, that would be great!

I primarily use ArcMap, but am familiar with regular ArcGIS, and MapViewer. I'm also willing to look at other programs if necessary.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »

My assumption is that I would have to get the precinct data and then aggregate them up to the new lines? I assume that precincts can't cross state legislative lines, but don't know if that is accurate. If any of you guys have advice or know a tutorial I could use, that would be great!

Yeah, that's the gist of it. If you have shapefiles for the precinct boundaries with your results joined to them, just do a spatial join of the precincts (probably their centroids, which works the vast majority of the time) to a district boundary shapefile and sum up the votes. NC is a great state for this because all the old precinct lines and precinct vote totals are on the NCSBE website (at least for the recent past).

It's possible district boundaries may cross precinct lines; this is almost guaranteed to be the case if you're matching old precincts to new districts. In that case, to get a better estimate, I typically use dasymmetric mapping: basically, break apart the precincts to a lower level such as census blocks, and then aggregate up using block population as a weight. This method also gets around centroid mismatches if you have bizarrely convex precincts or districts, but it takes more work, and block population is a little out of date as this point (not that big of an issue, but it is one).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 07:57:02 AM »

Yeah, that's the gist of it. If you have shapefiles for the precinct boundaries with your results joined to them, just do a spatial join of the precincts (probably their centroids, which works the vast majority of the time) to a district boundary shapefile and sum up the votes. NC is a great state for this because all the old precinct lines and precinct vote totals are on the NCSBE website (at least for the recent past).

It's possible district boundaries may cross precinct lines; this is almost guaranteed to be the case if you're matching old precincts to new districts. In that case, to get a better estimate, I typically use dasymmetric mapping: basically, break apart the precincts to a lower level such as census blocks, and then aggregate up using block population as a weight. This method also gets around centroid mismatches if you have bizarrely convex precincts or districts, but it takes more work, and block population is a little out of date as this point (not that big of an issue, but it is one).

Do you have any tips on improving the speed of this workflow? I rarely play around with election data because aggregating it is such a POA. Getting the display just right always requires way too much time.

It amazes me what some people are able to put out as the results are coming in, even if their maps usually look like crap. I can think of some tricks with templates in QGIS that would do the trick for building something pretty (with a large amount of up-front design time), but I don't know how anyone manages to keep up with the data cleansing when they're dealing with so many sources.

I feel personally attacked by this statement! My interactive live maps usually don't look like crap!

You can't keep up with data cleansing when dealing with many sources, unless you have many people working to clean the data. I never have, unfortunately. The key is to limit the number of sources to something reasonable - 1-5 is possible, depending on the type of the data. Trying to do this with, say, LA's graphical results system and 15 Parishes with data to add to the map is challenging to say the least.

I can go into much further detail, if you're still interested.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies