FT 13.09 – Constituency Democratization Act (Awaiting signature)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:43:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 13.09 – Constituency Democratization Act (Awaiting signature)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 13.09 – Constituency Democratization Act (Awaiting signature)  (Read 478 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2019, 10:07:18 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2019, 07:47:42 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN ACT
to establish democracy throughout the Commonwealth

Section 1 (Title)
i. The long title of this Act shall be, the "Constituency Democratization Act." It may be cited as the "Democratization Act" or as "CDA."

Section 2 (Minimum age requirements)
i. Henceforward, every citizen of Frémont not disenfranchised as the result of a ruling by a federal court shall be eligible for election to any state or municipal office for which they are qualified to vote, regardless of age.

Section 3 (Voting rights for resident nationals)
i. Henceforward, every legal resident of Frémont at least sixteen years of age shall be eligible to vote in all municipal elections in which they would be eligible to participate if they were a citizen.

Section 4 (Abolition of gerrymandering)
i. In every state and municipal jurisdiction of Frémont where the members of the legislature thereof shall be chosen from districts or similar constituencies, the responsibility to draw and revise the boundaries of the said constituencies shall belong to an redistricting commission.
ii. In the case of the former, the commission shall be composed of two representatives of every party which shall have received at least 10% of the vote in the last election for governor of that state, and led by an independent chair appointed by the first minister of Frémont.
iii. In the case of the latter, the commission shall be composed of two representatives of every party which shall have received at least 10% of the vote in the last mayoral or county executive election in that jurisdiction, and led by an independent chair appointed by the governor of the state.
iv. In all cases, the constituency map shall take effect with the affirmative votes of a majority of the members of the commission.

Sponsor: Harry S Truman, Speaker

The member from North Dakota has the floor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »

The premise of our republican experiment is contained in the assertion, that "governments are created among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed." The legitimacy of our institutions depends on their answerability to the voice of the people: provisions which restrict the freedom of Atlasians to vote for the candidate whom they judge will best represent them in government, on the premise that voters are too stupid or too wicked to make a mature judgement, are   undemocratic and should be rescinded wherever it is practical to do so. Strategies for manipulating the resonance of the people's voice, by tampering with electoral boundaries, are equally odious and inimical to good governance. This legislation according strikes at the heart of both evils: Section 2 would abolish term limits and age requirements for state and local elections (no such requirements exist for regional elections), while Section 3 would establish independent redistricting commissions for legislative elections where a district-based system is used.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »

Don't start all at once. Tongue
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »

This is a pretty important bill and I fully support it, this will ensure voters choose their politicians and not the other way around. Section 2 and 3 are also commendable and should become law.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 12:23:11 AM »

Given we're already overriding state constitutions in enshrining a process of redistricting, why don't we go further and implement some form of required proportional representation for state and municipal legislatures.
If so, my preferred system would be as follows:
1. All municipalities and counties must have a legislative body comprised of a unicameral legislature elected either through IRV, IRV with a PR top-up or STV.
2. All states must have a bicameral legislature on the Australian model, with a lower house elected by IRV, and a fully proportional upper house on either STV or list PR. (personally I feel this should be the required system for all state legislatures.)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 04:35:45 PM »

I actually considered including something like that in the original draft of this bill. Not being as familiar with the Australian system as the distinguished member from Washington, I wonder if I might ask what is the reasoning behind the lower house being elected by IRV and the upper house by proportional representation, and not the reverse?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »

I actually considered including something like that in the original draft of this bill. Not being as familiar with the Australian system as the distinguished member from Washington, I wonder if I might ask what is the reasoning behind the lower house being elected by IRV and the upper house by proportional representation, and not the reverse?

The lower house, as the larger body, can better provide local representation, while the smaller upper house gives representation to minor parties.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 08:12:11 PM »

There're still some parts of that proposal I want to tinker with, and we're hard-up for bills at the moment, so I think it's best if we move forward with legislative restructuring as a separate item.

I move for a vote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 08:59:27 PM »

Seeing no objection, we proceed to a vote. Members will vote Aye, Nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.

Aye!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 07:17:16 PM »

Aye

Though I am a bit sad that we're destroying the great art of gerrymandering.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 08:27:09 PM »

Aye.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 07:04:41 PM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 08:54:45 PM »

With four votes in favor and one member not voting, the resolution carries.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »

Mr. First Minister?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:59 PM »

AN ACT
to establish democracy throughout the Commonwealth

Section 1 (Title)
i. The long title of this Act shall be, the "Constituency Democratization Act." It may be cited as the "Democratization Act" or as "CDA."

Section 2 (Minimum age requirements)
i. Henceforward, every citizen of Frémont not disenfranchised as the result of a ruling by a federal court shall be eligible for election to any state or municipal office for which they are qualified to vote, regardless of age.

Section 3 (Voting rights for resident nationals)
i. Henceforward, every legal resident of Frémont at least sixteen years of age shall be eligible to vote in all municipal elections in which they would be eligible to participate if they were a citizen.

Section 4 (Abolition of gerrymandering)
i. In every state and municipal jurisdiction of Frémont where the members of the legislature thereof shall be chosen from districts or similar constituencies, the responsibility to draw and revise the boundaries of the said constituencies shall belong to an redistricting commission.
ii. In the case of the former, the commission shall be composed of two representatives of every party which shall have received at least 10% of the vote in the last election for governor of that state, and led by an independent chair appointed by the first minister of Frémont.
iii. In the case of the latter, the commission shall be composed of two representatives of every party which shall have received at least 10% of the vote in the last mayoral or county executive election in that jurisdiction, and led by an independent chair appointed by the governor of the state.
iv. In all cases, the constituency map shall take effect with the affirmative votes of a majority of the members of the commission.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies