Census Estimates for 2005 -> 2010 apportionment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:33:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Census Estimates for 2005 -> 2010 apportionment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census Estimates for 2005 -> 2010 apportionment  (Read 24655 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: December 24, 2005, 08:34:53 AM »

While I wouldn't call them biased, the Census Bureau's estimates may well be wrong ...

^^^
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 04:38:36 PM »

People who left West Virginia to get some work and all that and who have come back?* Maybe not many now but hopefully in a few years... You also have the Eastern Panhandle.

As for the house prices thing... a lot of the new people in a lot of states will be living in new housing. More housing usually lowers the prices.
As for the metro areas, I suspect we're seeing a mix of speculation/investing, more subletting (and private renting in general?), lack of new housing (?) and so on...

*A trend we're starting to see over here in some of our old industrial areas.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 08:56:31 AM »

As the mining industries either declines or get more mechanized, the number of jobs in the area falls a lot and, unless new jobs are created to replace them, people just leave the area to find work and generally don't come back.
There were similer (not quite so shocking, but still awful) declines in mining areas in the U.K in the early 20th century. I think the population of the Rhondda came close to halving at one point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies