LC 4.2: thr33's Lincoln School Clothing Subsidy Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:22:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 4.2: thr33's Lincoln School Clothing Subsidy Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 4.2: thr33's Lincoln School Clothing Subsidy Act (Passed)  (Read 690 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »
« edited: September 28, 2019, 12:30:56 PM by Speaker OneJ »

thr33’s Lincoln School Clothing Subsidy Act

a bill to help students and students’ families financially in school clothing purchases

Section I: Surveying of Coats
1. Using census data, a cross section of 5 percent of all primary and secondary schools in Lincoln that is representative of the region will be randomly selected.
2. For each selected school, Lincoln officials will be placed on location for two weeks in the autumn to survey assess the distribution of costs and number of clothing items worn to school by students.
3. Lincoln will determine median annual outfit expenses based on the data gathered.
 a. Each student is priced to have ten outfits, excluding outerwear and shoes, including undergarments (these costs will not observed obviously, but will be assessed from industry figures).
 b. Of these ten, two will be geared for winter and two for summer. This includes two sweaters and one winter coat per student (outerwear is expected to last for two years, so the successive year's assessment will exclude this cost).
 c. Three pairs of shoes (including one set of gym sneakers) will be included in the cost.
 d. Two gym outfits will be including in the cost.
 e. The top 10% and bottom 30% of outfits in terms of the cost will not be part of assessment.
4. The following formula will be utilized for determining clothing subsidies:
 a. For each family, the number of primary and secondary students will be totaled (in both public and private schools).
 b. 100% of clothing costs will be subsidized for those under 150% of the poverty line + the assessed annual cost for all students in the household from I.3.
 c. 0% of clothing costs will be subsidized for those at or above 250% of the poverty line + the assessed annual cost for all students in the household from I.3.
 d. For those between 150% and 250% of the poverty line plus costs, there will be a sliding linear scale.
 e. For students in schools where uniforms are necessary, only the non-uniform elements (such as undergarments, gym clothes, outerwear, and sneakers) will be part of the assessment.
 f. There will be hardship exemptions granted on a case-by-case basis for families with extraordinary school expenses (i.e. parents or other children attending college or university, families with sudden unexpected income changes not reflected in tax filings, etc.).

Section II: Payments
1. A regional website will be created where all families can check their eligibility.
2. Annual subsidies will be granted in the form of a nondiscript debit card mailed out no later than August 1 of the the summer preceding the next school year.
3. No information on individual students or families will be gathered, and no list of those receiving funding will be assembled or shared with districts or other public or private groups.
4. There will be no restrictions on where the card can be used.
5. If school staff notices that students are not properly dressed at school (with no knowledge of whether of not students are a part of the program), there will be a reporting website and hotline for them to inform the region so the family may be contacted to make sure outfits were purchased and are intact.

Section III: Implementation
1. Funding will be distributed beginning with the summer prior to the 2020-2021 school year.

Section IV: Enactment
1. This bill shall come into full effect immediately after being passed by this Council of Lincoln

Sponsor: PSOL

The debating period has commenced. It shall last no less than 72 hours.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 12:23:27 PM »

This amendment, essentially unchanged from the previous iteration, greatly aides the pupils of Lincoln to focus their resources on studying instead of clothing. It heals any divide in clothing and lessens the classist divisions in Lincoln. What’s not to like?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 01:14:31 PM »

I'm very happy to see this is being considered again! Will be a very proud signature.

It is important to help our youngest citizens, no matter what walk of life they come from, and this is an awesome measure to accomplish it.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 01:28:06 PM »

As I said during the last council when this bill was being discussed, this bill has my support. As someone I know would say, "think of the children!"
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »

I speak in support of this bill being passed.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »

I oppose this bill now as I did in the last Council.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 05:13:41 AM »

I oppose the bill.

Why?
Unnecessary subsidies / expenses from something that shouldn't be a problem.
People should have the freedom to choose their clothes.
The government shouldn't intervene in school clothing.
I'm also against school uniforms, although i understand that this isn't about school uniforms.

My proposal:

a bill to help students and students’ families financially in school clothing purchases

1. Using census data, a cross section of 5 percent of all primary and secondary schools in Lincoln that is representative of the region will be randomly selected.
2. For each selected school, Lincoln officials will be placed on location for two weeks in the autumn to survey assess the distribution of costs and number of clothing items worn to school by students.

3. Lincoln will determine median annual outfit expenses based on the data gathered.
a. Each student is priced to have ten outfits, excluding outerwear and shoes, including undergarments (these costs will not observed obviously, but will be assessed from industry figures).
 b. Of these ten, two will be geared for winter and two for summer. This includes two sweaters and one winter coat per student (outerwear is expected to last for two years, so the successive year's assessment will exclude this cost).

c. Three pairs of shoes (including one set of gym sneakers) will be included in the cost.
 d. Two One gym outfits will be includinged in the cost.
e. The top 10% and bottom 30% of outfits in terms of the cost will not be part of assessment.
f. One swimming outfit will be included in the cost
 a. For each family, the number of primary and secondary students will be totaled (in both public and private schools).
 b. 100% of clothing costs will be subsidized for those under 150% of the poverty line + the assessed annual cost for all students in the household from I.3.
 c. 0% of clothing costs will be subsidized for those at or above 250% of the poverty line + the assessed annual cost for all students in the household from I.3.
 d. For those between 150% and 250% of the poverty line plus costs, there will be a sliding linear scale.
 e. For students in schools where uniforms are necessary, only the non-uniform elements (such as undergarments, gym clothes, outerwear, and sneakers) will be part of the assessment.
 f. There will be hardship exemptions granted on a case-by-case basis for families with extraordinary school expenses (i.e. parents or other children attending college or university, families with sudden unexpected income changes not reflected in tax filings, etc.).

1. A regional website will be created where all families can check their eligibility.
2. Annual subsidies will be granted in the form of a nondiscript debit card mailed out no later than August 1 of the the summer preceding the next school year.
3. No information on individual students or families will be gathered, and no list of those receiving funding will be assembled or shared with districts or other public or private groups.
5. If school staff notices that students are not properly dressed at school (with no knowledge of whether of not students are a part of the program), there will be a reporting website and hotline for them to inform the region so the family may be contacted to make sure outfits were purchased and are intact.

1. Costs for gym outfit, one pair of gym shoes and the swimming outfit won't be added to the yearly school bill, but will be fully subsizidized for everyone.

1. Funding will be distributed beginning with the summer prior to the 2020-2021 school year.

1. This bill shall come into full effect immediately after being passed by this Council of Lincoln
Pragmatist_TNAG
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 06:40:11 AM »

I support this bill as it currently stands

Stating my support for education in my campaign message, this bill greatly help students who families are financially struggling. Too many times has our schools and teachers have to buy clothes for our students, it's justly time for our government to create a subsidy to ease the pressure put on teachers.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 08:49:41 AM »

Another proposed amendment, and i've changed my mind and i'll vote aye on it.

e. One swimming outfit (including a swimming cap) will be included in the cost
 f. The top 10% and bottom 30% of outfits in terms of the cost will not be part of assessment.

5. If school staff notices that students are not properly inappropriately dressed at school (with no knowledge of whether of not students are a part of the program), there will be a reporting website and hotline for them to inform the region so the family may be contacted to make sure outfits were purchased and are intact.

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 12:02:23 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2019, 05:09:53 PM by Speaker OneJ »

Another proposed amendment, and i've changed my mind and i'll vote aye on it.

e. One swimming outfit (including a swimming cap) will be included in the cost
 f. The top 10% and bottom 30% of outfits in terms of the cost will not be part of assessment.

5. If school staff notices that students are not properly inappropriately dressed at school (with no knowledge of whether of not students are a part of the program), there will be a reporting website and hotline for them to inform the region so the family may be contacted to make sure outfits were purchased and are intact.

Sponsor Feedback: Awaiting
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 04:54:27 PM »

I deem the new amendment as friendly.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 12:30:12 PM »

Who swims in physical education class lol?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »

Who swims in physical education class lol?
We had swimming class and gym class. One week it was gym, the other week it was swimming.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 08:58:51 AM »

Anything further on this, Councillors?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »

What our Governor said here.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 10:59:57 AM »

As there have been no other comments on this, I call for a motion for a final vote. Councillors have 24 hours to object the motion for a final vote.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 01:34:29 PM »

The 24 hours are up and now it's time for a final vote. Councilors have 48 hours to vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.
Pragmatist_TNAG
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 03:06:21 PM »

Aye
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 08:03:36 PM »

Aye
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 02:36:04 AM »

AYE
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 04:12:56 AM »

Aye
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 06:54:33 AM »

Aye
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »

The voting period has now ended and the bill has passed 5-0-2.

Aye: (Pragmatists_TNAG, PSOL, JGibson, Lakigigar, OneJ_)
Nay: 0
Not Voting: 2 (Dkrol, Ninja)
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 06:21:54 PM »

e. One swimming outfit (including a swimming cap) will be included in the cost.

5. If school staff notices that students are inappropriately dressed at school (with no knowledge of whether of not students are a part of the program), there will be a reporting website and hotline for them to inform the region so the family may be contacted to make sure outfits were purchased and are intact.

I was looking forward to signing this! Glad we got it done.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies