S.19.3-19: Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019 2.0 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:14:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.3-19: Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019 2.0 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: S.19.3-19: Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019 2.0 (Failed)  (Read 2579 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »

Looks like it still failed. Voting opened at 2:54 am on September 16 (eastern time) and closed at 3:06 am on September 18.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »

When JHE's vote was cast, 53 hours and 45 minutes had elapsed.

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 07:16:26 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2019, 07:23:25 PM by The C Word »

Technically when the vote ended, it ended at a tie, not an outright pass/fail. Fun fact: the South doesn't actually have a rule determining how a tie is broken.

Here's the text:

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Standing_Rules_of_the_Southern_Chamber_of_Delegates#Section_VI:_Votin

Section VI: Voting

1.) Votes on legislation shall last for a maximum of 2 days (i.e. 48 hours).

2.) When a piece of legislation has enough votes to pass or fail, the office in control of the legislative slot shall announce that he or she will close the vote in 16 hours and that any Delegate who wishes to change his or her vote must do so during that interval. If all delegates have voted, the vote may be closed immediately.

3.) If a piece of legislation is vetoed by the Governor, the bill's sponsor may request an override of the veto within 3 days, i.e. 72 hours, of the veto taking place. The Speaker may extend this period if the bill's sponsor is on a publicly-declared leave of absence.

4.) For the purposes of overriding vetoes, any Delegate who abstains from voting shall be counted as a vote against overriding the veto.

Section VII: Rules Disputes

1.) The Southern Legislature may elect to suspend any section of these rules at any time with the consent of two-thirds of sitting Delegates.

2.) The presiding officer may unilaterally suspend any section of these rules at any time, unless another Delegate objects. If two Delegates object, suspending the rules shall require the consent of a majority of sitting Delegates.

3.) If the Chamber of Delegates cannot resolve a rules dispute, within 168 hours of the start of the dispute, the Supreme Court of The South may issue a binding decision dictating the proper interpretation of these rules, bound by the Constitution.

4.)Any Delegate may enforce the rules of this chamber.

I would suggest Section VII would be the most likely way to resolve it, and would also suggest someone in the Chamber submit a separate bill with an amendment to the standing rules clarifying how ties are broken to avoid this issue in the future.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »

When JHE's vote was cast, 53 hours and 45 minutes had elapsed.

Uhh, no.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 07:26:40 PM »

Looks like it still failed. Voting opened at 2:54 am on September 16 (eastern time) and closed at 3:06 am on September 18.

It didn't fail last time. We tabled it because of the controversy. Last time, it had the votes because I asked other voters about their thoughts privately.

Thank you Representative Fhtagn for providing clarity. Considering Delegate Eden would have voted aye for this bill, resulting in the bill passing and considering there is no rule addressing ties, I think we should address this issue now before too much time elapses and we have other bills to worry about. We have the votes, let's get this passed.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »

02:54 on 9/16 to 08:39 on 9/18. Math, Fhtagn.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »

Misread and assumed your math was based on how long had elapsed after 48 hours had passed.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 08:54:25 PM »

It didn't fail last time. We tabled it because of the controversy. Last time, it had the votes because I asked other voters about their thoughts privately.

Thank you Representative Fhtagn for providing clarity. Considering Delegate Eden would have voted aye for this bill, resulting in the bill passing and considering there is no rule addressing ties, I think we should address this issue now before too much time elapses and we have other bills to worry about. We have the votes, let's get this passed.

Delegate Eden failed to vote in the 48 hours, so his vote is invalid. The final vote was 3-3, and the question is what is the procedure for breaking a tie.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2019, 11:42:29 PM »

Delegate Eden failed to vote in the 48 hours, so his vote is invalid. The final vote was 3-3, and the question is what is the procedure for breaking a tie.

There is no procedure which is why I said it. I could easily just put the bill back in queue, add a modification, speed up the debate, and get the votes. No point in delaying this any further.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 02:07:35 AM »

Well I'm glad I did my Maths correctly for when I closed the vote.

The final vote was 3-3, and the question is what is the procedure for breaking a tie.
The standing orders don't provide guidance on this.

which leads to the next question "is a tie, a failed vote?"
If the answer is yes then it is a failed vote.
However, once again the standing orders also don't provide guidance on this either.

Considering this seems to be a new occurrence. I believe that the following should be considered and debated.

Options for Tied Votes
1. Another vote. (24 hours, long)
2. Have the Governor act as the Tie breaking vote.
3. Use Option 1 then if there is a second tie use Option 2.
4. Ties are considered failed votes.

I'll draft up an amendment to the standing orders.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 02:24:04 AM »

I have put S.19.3-24: Chamber of Delegates Voting Clarity Amendment on to the chamber floor. I think it might be best if we debate things in that bill. I believe we should put this thread in stasis for the time being till we debate S.19.3-24. That way we can have clarity over handling the tie.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 02:17:08 AM »

As the chamber standing rules have been amended to provide clarity in the event of a tied vote. The final result is:
S.19.3-19: Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019 2.0 has Failed

S.19.3-19 Final Vote Tally
[ 3 ] Aye
[ 3 ] Nay
[ 0 ] Abstain
[ 1 ] Absent (John Henry Eden)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies