Confessions of Atlas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:12:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Confessions of Atlas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Author Topic: Confessions of Atlas  (Read 26395 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2020, 03:46:49 AM »

This is practically the only place I talk politics (outside of at home) and I actually come here because it's a toxic wasteland--I can say what's on my mind and argue whatever point and not care if somebody will like me less.

Meanwhile if you were to come across me anywhere else online you wouldn't know I held political opinions at all.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »

I actually don't really have any political views or ideology
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »

The first time I broke my leg was on the same day Opebo was banned, and not only that, but it was within 45 minutes of each other. My injury happened slightly more than half an hour before his ban. I just thought that would have been a somewhat intriguing coincidence for some people on here
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2020, 04:43:30 PM »

I hate being autistic and feel like a second-class person. I'm jealous of people that don't have to deal with so many challenges.

I know this feel all too well.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2020, 04:46:31 PM »

I hate being autistic and feel like a second-class person. I'm jealous of people that don't have to deal with so many challenges.

Same. You're not a second-class person, though; none of us are; nobody is.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »

Autism being a spectrum and all, I've had to deal with severely autistic people who could barely function. Presumably, since you can post on this site coherently and rather intelligently, you're toward the middle of the spectrum, say, Asperger's? I could be way off base. But I know even the so-called Normies deal with the same awkwardness and insecurity, it's simply handled in another way. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »

Autism being a spectrum and all, I've had to deal with severely autistic people who could barely function. Presumably, since you can post on this site coherently and rather intelligently, you're toward the middle of the spectrum, say, Asperger's? I could be way off base. But I know even the so-called Normies deal with the same awkwardness and insecurity, it's simply handled in another way. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was diagnosed in December.  According to my shrink, they don't differentiate between "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" anymore and Asperger's is no longer a medical term.  I don't know if I agree with that, but I'm not a psychologist.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2020, 04:59:09 PM »

I was diagnosed in December.  According to my shrink, they don't differentiate between "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" anymore and Asperger's is no longer a medical term.  I don't know if I agree with that, but I'm not a psychologist.

Part of the issue about "functioning level" (in addition to the unnecessary and unedifying stigmas surrounding being "low-functioning") was that somebody can function very well at one task (say, posting on Atlas, or academic work) and very poorly at another (say, personal hygiene, or holding steady employment). Or vice versa.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for sharing. I did not know that previously. I tend to view most things on a spectrum: politics, gender, sexuality. So I will try to be mindful. Thank you for answering my questions.

I think the aforementioned high functioning vs low functioning qualitates the Asperger's reference and if that term is no longer in Vogue, I offer my full apologies as someone completely unaware. Again, thank you.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »

Except those dirty French Canadian Catholics! They take their orders from Rome with their beguiled popery!
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2020, 12:15:41 AM »

Asperger's, yes, over on the mild end of the spectrum. And it's more than social anxiety and stuff. Higher risk of mental illness, difficulty expressing and controlling emotion, always coming across as rude or cold, sensory processing issues, and more.

Also:
I have a receding hairline
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2020, 12:22:36 AM »

Asperger's, yes, over on the mild end of the spectrum. And it's more than social anxiety and stuff. Higher risk of mental illness, difficulty expressing and controlling emotion, always coming across as rude or cold, sensory processing issues, and more.

Also:

Oh, the bald thing will do it. Apparently Asperger's isn't a thing anymore but general social anxiety is very relatable. Our society doesn't make much room for bald or short men, hence the George Costanza.

Most of these things you won't even notice on the internet, but you don't want to show up to your birthday bald, so to speak. So I understand.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2020, 12:29:18 AM »

Also:

Oh, the bald thing will do it. Apparently Asperger's isn't a thing anymore but general social anxiety is very relatable. Our society doesn't make much room for bald or short men, hence the George Costanza.

Most of these things you won't even notice on the internet, but you don't want to show up to your birthday bald, so to speak. So I understand.

Asperger's was merged into the spectrum in 2013
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2020, 12:30:54 AM »

Also:

Asperger's was merged into the spectrum in 2013

Well if that's the case, it's nothing new. As far as I knew, it was always part of the spectrum. But regardless, gotta be kind and look out for one another, especially in these trying times. I send you lots of love
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2020, 07:00:32 AM »

Replace autism with NVLD, and that's a hecking mood.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2020, 08:07:32 PM »

i hoard introverts.

my wife is mad because she says i have a real knack for making quiet people feel special by talking to them, and so apparently this has led to my present situation where i am friends with tons of introverted bitches who are all desperate to be my friend but won't make friends with each other and i have basically just assembled a big ass circle of introverts who will constantly feed me attention. but apparently some of these bitches also take it as romantic interest, and my wife says they want to get with me or something.

the thing is though, i cannot stand to be friends with other extroverts because it's harder to be the center of attention when there r multiple ppl vying to be center of attention. rip
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2020, 12:53:09 AM »

I like ketchup and BBQ sauce mixed together.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »

I miss my beyond over the top and trolling days of years past. I just cannot do that again since I will get banned lol.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »

OC's posts have actually been making more sense lately, maybe he truly is a sage.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2020, 03:50:29 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2020, 03:55:25 PM by Flarda Man »

My youngest brother’s autism is so severe that he could never post here, let alone live on his own in any capacity. The spectrum is way, way, way too long. Socially awkward but functioning kids should not be on the spectrum period. They shouldn’t be put in the same classroom like my brother (for their own sake), and we should if anything be integrating functioning people with mild Aspergers into the general population. It’d be good for their self-esteem but also would lead to more awareness.

When I was a kid circa 2003, I knew of nobody who had an autistic relative in their family. Societal awareness has improved dramatically and strangers are way more sympathetic to him then they were in 15 years. We used to get thrown out of restaurants because his behavior issues.

Last time we all went out to dinner, my brother was a little noisy. A woman stood up and yelled over to my mom to “don’t EVER apologize for him.” It’s a full 180 on societal perception of autism.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »

I bet you can guess what mine is ...
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »

Except those dirty French Canadian Catholics! They take their orders from Rome with their beguiled popery!
Les grenouilles du Canada sommes bien. Younger generation is much less religious.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »

My youngest brother’s autism is so severe that he could never post here, let alone live on his own in any capacity. The spectrum is way, way, way too long. Socially awkward but functioning kids should not be on the spectrum period. They shouldn’t be put in the same classroom like my brother (for their own sake), and we should if anything be integrating functioning people with mild Aspergers into the general population. It’d be good for their self-esteem but also would lead to more awareness.

When I was a kid circa 2003, I knew of nobody who had an autistic relative in their family. Societal awareness has improved dramatically and strangers are way more sympathetic to him then they were in 15 years. We used to get thrown out of restaurants because his behavior issues.

Last time we all went out to dinner, my brother was a little noisy. A woman stood up and yelled over to my mom to “don’t EVER apologize for him.” It’s a full 180 on societal perception of autism.

Sanchez, I do not in any way intend to minimize what your brother experiences each day, but high-functioning autism extends way beyond social awkwardness.  I think you can make an argument that Aspergers ought to be used to distinguish high-functioning autistic people from low-functioning autistic people; its erasure from scientific literature on the subject is fairly new, after all.  But the spectrum is not a one-dimensional scale.

Before I started school, I literally begged my parents to homeschool me instead, because the thought of being in a classroom with a bunch of kids I don't know scared the sh!t out of me.  While I have managed to cope somewhat with my interaction problems since that time, as a child I had little if any friends.  Throughout all my years in public school I tended to myself whenever possible, because I literally could not handle being in groups of people.  I had the same problem in college.

At one point I walked with a gait, but thankfully I was able to outgrow it (mostly due to social pressure/comments from my parents).  I seldom made eye contact and still struggle with that today.  The mere sight of excessive visual activity induces panic attacks.  Perhaps most importantly I am selectively mute.  (The internet is the only place where I can speak openly and confidently.)  But in person, even talking to people who I've known for years is a challenge.  Often times my inability to speak has induced literal mental breakdowns.

Living with this condition is not fun, and if there were a cure for this I would take it in a heartbeat.  But for now all I can do is cope and pretend as though I'm normal.  (And it rarely works; most people figure out that I'm mentally abnormal fairly quickly.)

Anyway it wasn't my intention to write my whole autobiography here, but that is my experience with autism.  I may be high-functioning, but were it not for therapy and medication and other medical interventions and school accomodations I wouldn't be here right now.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2020, 08:57:15 PM »

I have never said this to anyone before, but I'm letting it out now because I wanna get it off my chest, but I'd so get my @$$ kicked if people heard me say this and they would downright deny it, but Pakistanis have mad respect for Israel, or at the very least, mad worthy adversarial respect for the IDF. This is not present with India, or hardly anyone else.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2020, 12:19:11 AM »

I drunkenly heckled DragonForce in Toronto by yelling "Final Countdown" with a buddy between songs, and the singer called us "you c(younexttuesday)s" on the microphone amd said "we aren't playing The f___ing Final Countdown!"

It was a long time ago and I don't even know why we did it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies