Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:15:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129789 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: January 30, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »

Unlike you, I don't take this message board seriously enough to be that methodical. Seriously, I don't want to tell them to stop because I don't know if the person behind the messages is one of the more unhinged people who will go off and start sending insults or threats. Anyone can sign up to do texts, so you don't really know who is texting you.

Are you seriously this delusional? Is this where the Bernie Bro discourse is at now?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1551 on: January 30, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »

From the oldest LGBTQ magazine: "The Time to Stop Bernie Sanders is NOW"

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2020/01/29/time-to-stop-bernie-sanders-is-now/

Despite the BS Sanders is selling he has never been a leader in any movement whether it is women’s rights, civil rights, LGBTQ rights, disability rights or immigrant rights. People must understand shouting and waving your arms about and selling what was once called ‘snake oil’ isn’t being a leader. It may play to the crowd, and seems to be playing to young people, but in our system of government it doesn’t work to move a progressive agenda forward and for over thirty years in Congress Sanders record of accomplishing practically nothing is proof of that.

This is the establishment out to get him. Soon the Illuminati will step in to stop him. /sarc
Cinemark

« Reply #1552 on: January 30, 2020, 02:43:06 PM »

This is unrelated, but a reason why I'll campaign my heart out for Bernie if he wins.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/trump-administration-to-reduce-protections-for-birds-report-says.html

Trump is a monster who needs to be stopped.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1553 on: January 30, 2020, 02:43:31 PM »

Despite the BS Sanders is selling he has never been a leader in any movement whether it is women’s rights, civil rights, LGBTQ rights, disability rights or immigrant rights. People must understand shouting and waving your arms about and selling what was once called ‘snake oil’ isn’t being a leader. It may play to the crowd, and seems to be playing to young people, but in our system of government it doesn’t work to move a progressive agenda forward and for over thirty years in Congress Sanders record of accomplishing practically nothing is proof of that.

Easily one of the most unhinged anti-Bernie articles I’ve seen this cycle.  The hatred some Dems have for Bernie is borderline pathological.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1554 on: January 30, 2020, 02:50:17 PM »

Okay.

Was he not one of the first Mayors in America to openly endorse Pride marches? I also remember him being arrested at a civil rights protest and organising sit-ins at the University of Chicago.

Just this part of the article reeks anti-Sanders hyperbole.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1555 on: January 30, 2020, 02:53:19 PM »

As a gay man myself, I immensely respect Sanders for being practically the only candidate who consistently fought for LGBT rights since the beginning of his career, even when it wasn't popular or acceptable in the eyes of voters. The magazine writers can say whatever they want, I still doubt their views are representative of the community at large.
Roblox

« Reply #1556 on: January 30, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »

Bernie bros poisoned my water supply, burnt my crops, and brought a plague onto our houses…And they called my mom ugly and kick puppies!
Cinemark

« Reply #1557 on: January 30, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »

I think its okay to be concerned that Bernie might lose to Trump. Especially if your a member of a community who has alot to lose from another Trump term. I think the article in question is alittle misguided, but its not wrong to say: Biden is polling better than Bernie, therefor Biden is the better candidate for gay voters.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1558 on: January 30, 2020, 03:32:44 PM »

There are substantive reasons to prefer other Democrats over Sanders... and then there’s foaming at the mouth like we see in that article. It’s nothing but recycled talking points that have been addressed again and again and again. “Sanders IsNt A dEmOcRaT”, “Sanders would lose in a landslide because muh SOSHALIZM”, “career politician”, “angry old white man”, etc. I really think that a non-negligible number of Democrats have a stronger hate boner for Sanders than for Trump.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1559 on: January 30, 2020, 04:17:50 PM »

There are substantive reasons to prefer other Democrats over Sanders... and then there’s foaming at the mouth like we see in that article. It’s nothing but recycled talking points that have been addressed again and again and again. “Sanders IsNt A dEmOcRaT”, “Sanders would lose in a landslide because muh SOSHALIZM”, “career politician”, “angry old white man”, etc. I really think that a non-negligible number of Democrats have a stronger hate boner for Sanders than for Trump.

To be clear, the only part of the editorial that I endorse is the part that I quoted.

Much of it is left-wing criticism of Sanders from a perspective much more left than mine.  But I find it noteworthy because it's rare for Sanders to be criticized from the left.  I would expect that quote to be from a newsweekly editorial from a long-time respected columnist or Obama administration alum, aka the establishment, not an LGBT activist mag.
James Monroe

« Reply #1560 on: January 30, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »

Populist gonna populist. Muh white working class!!!!

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1561 on: January 30, 2020, 04:46:59 PM »

Come on, this is the same nonstarter as attacking Biden for his stance on Busing. My views of Bernie are well known, but the notion/suggestion he's a racist is nonsense. There are several things he needs to be criticzed for, but this isn't one of them.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1562 on: January 30, 2020, 04:50:57 PM »

Come on, this is the same nonstarter as attacking Biden for his stance on Busing. My views of Bernie are well known, but the notion/suggestion he's a racist is nonsense. There are several things he needs to be criticzed for, but this isn't one of them.

I agree with this sentiment.  It's too bad the Bernie Bros don't since they've been calling Biden a segregationist ever since that Kamala Harris attack.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1563 on: January 30, 2020, 05:00:15 PM »

Dem Establishment Twitter is soiling themselves over this.

Imagine thinking class struggle is not the root of all inequality in this country. Imagine thinking racist institutions don't exist to serve the economic interests of wealthy whites. And imagine pretending Bernie didn't march with Martin Luther King, or that he moved to Vermont "to get away from black people" (legitimately one of the takes I read on Twitter) or that he wasn't arrested in college at a CIVIL RIGHTS PROTEST

The establishment is desperate.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1564 on: January 30, 2020, 05:11:53 PM »

Yes, Bernie Sanders cared so much about civil rights that he couldn't even be bothered to vote.

Sanders was just like millennials today, he joined the protests and events that were popular but couldn't be bothered to actually vote or put in actual work to make change.  In 50 years we're going to have some 2070 version of Sanders claiming he can't ever be questioned on women's issues because he was at the women's march in 2017.  That's the equivalent.

You guys act like he's some civil rights hero for joining a march.  When real civil rights heroes were out fighting for change, or at least voting, Sanders was sitting in a backwoods shack in Vermont writing disgusting essays, praising communist dictators, and getting 1% in egotistical third-party runs.  He was doing as much for the civil rights movement in 1970 as Vermin Supreme is today.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1565 on: January 30, 2020, 05:15:20 PM »

I agree with this sentiment.  It's too bad the Bernie Bros don't since they've been calling Biden a segregationist ever since that Kamala Harris attack.

Yes If i were Biden's campaign manager I would call Bernie's campaign manager and make this deal, either we attack you for this or Bernie comes out and calls out his supporters who have been semaring Biden as racist.

The fact is Bernie hides behind his worst supporters online to do his dirty work for him and its time that he gets called out for that
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1566 on: January 30, 2020, 05:17:52 PM »

Sanders supporters can no longer call Biden out on what he said about segregationists senators, because this makes Biden and Sanders even on that front. Sanders can't claim any moral high ground here.

This is a campaign and candidates are going to be criticized. If you can't accept Sanders' comments being brought to light and scrutinized then you are really going to have a problem if he becomes the nominee.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1567 on: January 30, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »

Again, people should stop thinking that the primaries will be decided on Twitter
James Monroe

« Reply #1568 on: January 30, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »

Remember people, this campaign is touting the endorsement of a known homophobic, racist, transphobic, bro. The same campaign also endorse a well-known misogynist who is also a genocide-denying freak. A staff that is led by David Sirota, a known bigot and attacker of the Democratic Party.

What high hat game do we need to convince of Bernie Sanders incredibly toxic campaign?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1569 on: January 30, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »

Trump supporters retweeting other Trump supporters' smears. SAD!

(No, but seriously, read what Bernie actually said and tell me that it's praise of George Wallace.)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1570 on: January 30, 2020, 06:44:25 PM »

To say that Wallace was "sensitive to what people feel they need" makes no sense when you consider that Wallace was a segregationist who only cared about what some of the people in his state needed. Sanders was giving him praise for his ability to build a base.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1571 on: January 30, 2020, 06:51:26 PM »

The article directly said that Bernie Sanders had 'praise' for George Wallace. Bernie supporters (and friendly journalists) are swearing up and down on Twitter today and he was not praising Wallace. So I am sure Bernie wrote an angry Letter to the Editor correcting the record in 1972 and did not just allow a public article claiming that he was praising a vicious segregationist to stand, right? They will be producing this letter in 3...2...1...

Anyway, Bernie is not a racist, but he is the opposition of the Trump era. The same tinge of nationalism, populism, identity politics-that-disclaims-identity politics, cult of personality, only with a left wing spin instead of Right.

Warren OTOH is the opposition to the Trump era. She is an economic progressive without being an economic reductionist, and insists on opposing the Trump right's misogyny, xenophobia and racism on its own terms.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1572 on: January 30, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »

Def getting vibes of Obama's "Ronald Reagan was a transformative political figure" brouhaha from 2008 - I guess some can have fun trying to make Hillary's argument equivalent and see where it goes.

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1573 on: January 30, 2020, 06:57:29 PM »

To say that Wallace was "sensitive to what people feel they need" makes no sense when you consider that Wallace was a segregationist who only cared about what some of the people in his state needed. Sanders was giving him praise for his ability to build a base.

Wallace had disavowed segregation in 1972.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1574 on: January 30, 2020, 06:58:47 PM »

Dear Centrists,

Sorry. Try again.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length