Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:42:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129865 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: January 20, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »

Imagine actually caring this much about something as ridiculous to care about as whom Sanders claimed to have cast his first ballot for, especially when that ballot would have been cast nearly half a damn century ago.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1251 on: January 20, 2020, 09:22:07 PM »

Imagine actually caring this much about something as ridiculous to care about as whom Sanders claimed to have cast his first ballot for, especially when that ballot would have been cast nearly half a damn century ago.

I don't think anyone would care this much if Sanders' entire shtick wasn't to stand on a pillar of perfection and complete moral righteousness and then cast judgment on everyone else.  Nobody cares who he voted for.  I don't really care that much that he lied.  The hypocrisy is what matters.

It's especially hypocritical this week when the campaign has really been pushing the talking point "Liz Warren is a compulsive liar and her story about Bernie is just another lie."
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1252 on: January 20, 2020, 09:32:18 PM »

Handwringing over this is as pathetic as the Bernie Bros like jfern who handwringed over Hillary being a Goldwater Girl.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1253 on: January 20, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »

Handwringing over this is as pathetic as the Bernie Bros like jfern who handwringed over Hillary being a Goldwater Girl.

Nobody is handwringing over it.  It's just another eye-roll.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1254 on: January 20, 2020, 09:39:06 PM »

Yall are sensitive as hell. And I'm supposed to believe you all prepared to take the $1 billion worth of hits coming from the GOP and right wing media? LOL.

I really like you so don't take this disrespectfully but without missing a beat, we are accused of being overdramatic and salty when pointing out Bernie lying when I have watched Bernie supporters spend the past 18 months dragging candidates like Kamala Harris, Beto O'Rourke, and Elizabeth Warren through the mud for offenses that were just as benign. I wish Bernie supporters would keep the same energy when it's other candidates.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1255 on: January 20, 2020, 09:41:18 PM »

Maybe he can't remember? Not everyone posts on Atlas and can remember who they voted for them decades ago. Try asking relatives in their 70s who they voted for.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1256 on: January 20, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »

Maybe he can't remember? Not everyone posts on Atlas and can remember who they voted for them decades ago. Try asking relatives in their 70s who they voted for.

No, he's bragged in the past that he didn't cast a vote until he could vote for himself, like it was a statement of principle or something.  He's also talked about how much he hated Kennedy.

He knows damn well he didn't vote for Kennedy, he just knew that the actual answer wouldn't play well on TV in this race, and made up a lie on the spot.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1257 on: January 20, 2020, 09:45:09 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2020, 09:50:50 PM by Georgia Is A Swing State »

K. We are comparing someone who has run for office for the past 40 years and said unequivocally his first vote was for himself with regular people who probably vote sporadically? Got it.

I wish every candidate got the same benefit of the doubt when lying the way yall give it to Bernie. I've seen posters in this thread contort themselves into pretzels explaining away Bernie's behavior only for it to be confirmed hours or days later. But I get it. Y'all have to protect your candidate.

ETA: If Bernie supporters on this forum and on Twitter weren't so aggressive when his rivals so much as breathe, I really wouldn't GAF about him lying. It's just funny watching yall hand wave his BS when everyone who doesn't move the way you all think they should are to be sent to the electric chair. Meanwhile Bernie and his staff can say and do whatever and it's a bunch of "I can't believe yall care this much about X" or "Are we really wasting time talking about Y?" It's interesting to me.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1258 on: January 20, 2020, 09:53:20 PM »

No, he's bragged in the past that he didn't cast a vote until he could vote for himself, like it was a statement of principle or something.  He's also talked about how much he hated Kennedy.

He knows damn well he didn't vote for Kennedy, he just knew that the actual answer wouldn't play well on TV in this race, and made up a lie on the spot.

The tweet you linked in the previous post is not quite that clear.

Why did Bernie lie about the first vote he cast?

This is funny after a week of calling Warren a pathological liar.

He's bragged repeatedly in the past that his first vote was in 1972 for himself.

"I think probably, I won't swear to it, that the first time I voted was in the state of Vermont, probably for myself"
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1259 on: January 20, 2020, 10:07:02 PM »

Yall are sensitive as hell. And I'm supposed to believe you all prepared to take the $1 billion worth of hits coming from the GOP and right wing media? LOL.
If you think that's bad, you should listen to the way you talk about Liz Warren.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1260 on: January 20, 2020, 10:11:06 PM »

K. We are comparing someone who has run for office for the past 40 years and said unequivocally his first vote was for himself with regular people who probably vote sporadically? Got it.

I wish every candidate got the same benefit of the doubt when lying the way yall give it to Bernie. I've seen posters in this thread contort themselves into pretzels explaining away Bernie's behavior only for it to be confirmed hours or days later. But I get it. Y'all have to protect your candidate.

ETA: If Bernie supporters on this forum and on Twitter weren't so aggressive when his rivals so much as breathe, I really wouldn't GAF about him lying. It's just funny watching yall hand wave his BS when everyone who doesn't move the way you all think they should are to be sent to the electric chair. Meanwhile Bernie and his staff can say and do whatever and it's a bunch of "I can't believe yall care this much about X" or "Are we really wasting time talking about Y?" It's interesting to me.

I’m not going to speak for others but I don’t think I’ve criticized candidates for similar issues in the past. I know I defended Warren when Bernie Bros attacked her for being a registered Republican. Most of my critisms of the other candidates this cycle (namely Beto and Harris) were more cultural than anything this specific but I recognize that in this day and age, political smears are basically inevitable.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1261 on: January 20, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »

Jesus Christ, I thought you'd be pitching a fit over the Biden newsletter, not whatever the hell this is
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1262 on: January 20, 2020, 10:26:28 PM »

Well he already said he never voted until he was on the ballot so either way he’s lying. I’ve never heard Kennedy used to describe anyone but JFK when talking about the others people always say Bobby or Ted Kennedy or RFK but that’s neither here nor there as Sanders (this alleged staunch activist who has been in the trenches of activism for a half century) has stated in the past he never cared about voting until it benefited him personally.
He's said he didn't vote until he was in his 30s (the mid-70s). It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that his first vote for president was for Ted Kennedy. You seem very upset about this.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1263 on: January 20, 2020, 10:52:38 PM »

Criticizing Sanders for his recent attack on Biden is one thing, and I get people being upset about it, even if I think it's fair for Sanders to criticize Biden on it. Attacking him for this... what's the point? It's not like he forgot about the Vietnam War or something like that.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1264 on: January 20, 2020, 11:40:25 PM »

Criticizing Sanders for his recent attack on Biden is one thing, and I get people being upset about it, even if I think it's fair for Sanders to criticize Biden on it. Attacking him for this... what's the point? It's not like he forgot about the Vietnam War or something like that.
If Biden said something like this, it would be labeled as proof of dementia and Biden being unfit for office.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1265 on: January 21, 2020, 12:44:41 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1266 on: January 21, 2020, 08:57:42 AM »

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) apologized to former Vice President Joe Biden (D) Sunday night after an op-ed by a Sanders campaign surrogate published in The Guardian accused Biden of corruption.

The Vermont senator told CBS News that he regretted the message published by Sanders surrogate Zephyr Teachout, who does not hold an official role with the campaign but has endorsed and introduced the senator at his rallies.

"It is absolutely not my view that Joe is corrupt in any way. And I'm sorry that that op-ed appeared," Sanders told the news channel.

His statement follows a Sanders campaign press release that circulated the op-ed to supporters and members of the media, with the heading of the press release reading "Joe Biden has a big corruption problem."
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/479084-sanders-apologizes-to-biden-for-supporters-op-ed

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bernie-sanders-apologizes-to-joe-biden-for-surrogates-op-ed-alleging-he-has-a-big-corruption-problem-today-2020-01-20/
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1267 on: January 21, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) apologized to former Vice President Joe Biden (D) Sunday night after an op-ed by a Sanders campaign surrogate published in The Guardian accused Biden of corruption.

The Vermont senator told CBS News that he regretted the message published by Sanders surrogate Zephyr Teachout, who does not hold an official role with the campaign but has endorsed and introduced the senator at his rallies.

"It is absolutely not my view that Joe is corrupt in any way. And I'm sorry that that op-ed appeared," Sanders told the news channel.

His statement follows a Sanders campaign press release that circulated the op-ed to supporters and members of the media, with the heading of the press release reading "Joe Biden has a big corruption problem."
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/479084-sanders-apologizes-to-biden-for-supporters-op-ed

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bernie-sanders-apologizes-to-joe-biden-for-surrogates-op-ed-alleging-he-has-a-big-corruption-problem-today-2020-01-20/

This worries me because this is further proof that Sanders hasn't been going after his primary opponents as aggressively as Obama did in 2008, which I think is what prevented him from winning in 2016 and is threatening to bite him again this year.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1268 on: January 21, 2020, 11:48:37 AM »

If Biden said something like this, it would be labeled as proof of dementia and Biden being unfit for office.

And his supporters would be calling it a ridiculous attack, calling his detractors "desperate." What's your point?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1269 on: January 21, 2020, 12:45:48 PM »

Pathetic. If Bernie keeps this up, let's the media and establishment candidates walk all over him, apologizing for anything his people say or do that's the slightest bit provocative, he deserves to lose. The voters currently supporting Joe Biden have no reason not to vote for him if the depth of his attacks don't go further.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1270 on: January 21, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »

Sanders shouldn't have apologized. Biden is corrupt and it's important the message gets out there.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1271 on: January 21, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »

Good man
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1272 on: January 21, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »

What a terrible move, part of the reason I was so reluctant to have him as my first choice...it's just too bad the other campaigns have managed to be worse or [like Ojeda], going nowhere.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #1273 on: January 21, 2020, 09:58:22 PM »

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1274 on: January 21, 2020, 10:02:31 PM »

Finally, Bernie grows a pair.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to: