Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:03:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129850 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: October 30, 2019, 04:02:31 AM »

I'm pretty sure you were the one throwing around the accusations. Look at your original post.

I just asked what her plan was to fund M4A. As you just confirmed yourself, she doesn't have one yet.

So maybe you guys should wait until she actually has one before you start ragging on Bernie. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones as they say.

Warren is working on a plan which she promised to unveil soon.
Sanders OTOH admitted that not only doesn't have a plan but isn't even going to bother with making one.
If you think that they are the same then that's not my fault.

And again, the part you conveniently continue to ignore. This is Sanders' signature policy. He ought to be ready to answer everything thrown at him after all these years.

Please point me to where Sanders said exactly that.

It's essentially Warren's signature policy as well, even though she lifted it from him. But I get it, there are different standards for him and her. We're waiting for the plan... I think we'll be waiting for a while! That's okay, I hope it's good. I actually like Warren for the most part after all.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #451 on: October 30, 2019, 05:04:09 AM »

I'm pretty sure you were the one throwing around the accusations. Look at your original post.

I just asked what her plan was to fund M4A. As you just confirmed yourself, she doesn't have one yet.

So maybe you guys should wait until she actually has one before you start ragging on Bernie. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones as they say.

Sanders OTOH admitted that not only doesn't have a plan but isn't even going to bother with making one.

And again, the part you conveniently continue to ignore. This is Sanders' signature policy. He ought to be ready to answer everything thrown at him after all these years.

In the Harwood interview we posted. He said that there is no reason to become specific until the moment he is sworn in as president.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #452 on: October 30, 2019, 05:56:31 AM »

In the Harwood interview we posted. He said that there is no reason to become specific until the moment he is sworn in as president.

No he doesn't. He says he's not going to give an exact detailed plan for how to pay for all of it "right now".
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #453 on: October 30, 2019, 06:42:09 AM »

No he doesn't. He says he's not going to give an exact detailed plan for how to pay for all of it "right now".

If he hasn't released it by now what are the chances that will do it before the election?
Let's face it, he doesn't have a plan and he just uses the Medicare for All thing as a cudgel against his opponents. And even if they adopt it to protect their left flanks, he and his minions will still attack them for not providing a plan about how to pay for his ideas.
It's a nice trick, as long as people are falling for it.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #454 on: October 31, 2019, 03:19:51 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/468278-manchin-says-he-wouldnt-back-sanders-against-trump-in-presidential-race

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said he would not back Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in a 2020 presidential match-up against President Trump.

Manchin told Fox News he would “absolutely not” support Sanders’ agenda, calling it “not practical where I come from.”

When Fox News’s Neil Cavuto asked whom Manchin would vote for if the Vermont progressive ended up becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, Manchin responded, "Well, it wouldn’t be Bernie.”
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #455 on: October 31, 2019, 03:23:36 PM »

Manchin is a clown but this does speak to the difficulties of Bernie passing many of the things he touts. Not only will GOP obstruct but pricks like Manchin, Carper, Coons, and Sinema will too.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #456 on: October 31, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »

Manchin is a clown but this does speak to the difficulties of Bernie passing many of the things he touts. Not only will GOP obstruct but pricks like Manchin, Carper, Coons, and Sinema will too.

The fact that Sanders opposes the abolition of filibuster is concrete evidence of how unserious he is about passing his agenda through congress.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #457 on: October 31, 2019, 03:40:31 PM »

The fact that Sanders opposes the abolition of filibuster is concrete evidence of how unserious he is about passing his agenda through congress.

Or perhaps he's afraid of the next time Republicans hold a trifecta and pass whatever they want?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #458 on: October 31, 2019, 04:11:05 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/468278-manchin-says-he-wouldnt-back-sanders-against-trump-in-presidential-race

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said he would not back Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in a 2020 presidential match-up against President Trump.

Manchin told Fox News he would “absolutely not” support Sanders’ agenda, calling it “not practical where I come from.”

When Fox News’s Neil Cavuto asked whom Manchin would vote for if the Vermont progressive ended up becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, Manchin responded, "Well, it wouldn’t be Bernie.”

Remember kids: vote blue no matter who only matters to you if you're on the left.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #459 on: October 31, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »

I've had my disagreements with Sanders as of late but this isn't one of them.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/11/18306132/bernie-sanders-filibuster-budget-reconciliation-medicare-60-votes

I would remind everyone that the budget reconciliation process, with 51 votes, has been used time and time again to pass major pieces of legislation and that under our Constitution and the rules of the Senate, it is the vice president who determines what is and is not permissible under budget reconciliation. I can tell you that a vice president in a Bernie Sanders administration will determine that Medicare for All can pass through the Senate under reconciliation and is not in violation of the rules.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #460 on: October 31, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »

Oh yes, Joe Manchin, you are such a genius at picking good Presidential nominees that you endorsed Hillary in the primary last time who got fewer votes in WV than any Democratic nominee since women got the right to vote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #461 on: October 31, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »

Or perhaps he's afraid of the next time Republicans hold a trifecta and pass whatever they want?

That is guaranteed to happen, no matter how Democrats behave.
They left the filibuster intact for SCOTUS justices as a gesture of good will and Moscow Mitch abolished it the moment he had the chance to confirm a Republican nominee.  
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #462 on: October 31, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/11/18306132/bernie-sanders-filibuster-budget-reconciliation-medicare-60-votes

I would remind everyone that the budget reconciliation process, with 51 votes, has been used time and time again to pass major pieces of legislation and that under our Constitution and the rules of the Senate, it is the vice president who determines what is and is not permissible under budget reconciliation. I can tell you that a vice president in a Bernie Sanders administration will determine that Medicare for All can pass through the Senate under reconciliation and is not in violation of the rules.

Budget reconciliation won't help pass immigration reform, DC statehood, or gun control measures.
Unless of course you indirectly say that Sanders cares only about economic issues and doesn't give a sh**t for the rest of the Democratic agenda.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #463 on: October 31, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »

Budget reconciliation won't help pass immigration reform, DC statehood, or gun control measures.
Unless of course you indirectly say that Sanders cares only about economic issues and doesn't give a sh**t for the rest of the Democratic agenda.

Can't the vice president determine that could pass under reconciliation as well?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #464 on: October 31, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »

Remember kids: vote blue no matter who only matters to you if you're on the left.

Moderates really need to learn to practice what they preach when it comes to “compromise.” Those who say that progressives need to “shut up and get in line” if Biden is the nominee better do the same themselves if Sanders or Warren win.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #465 on: October 31, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »

Moderates really need to learn to practice what they preach when it comes to “compromise.” Those who say that progressives need to “shut up and get in line” if Biden is the nominee better do the same themselves if Sanders or Warren win.

As I said before, truly Orwellian stuff from the center. Submission is unity. Paternalism is allyship. Misogyny and sexism are civility. Two years of empty words are resistance, and so is a single vote after eight years of obstruction that was almost twelve. Meanwhile, fighting for our principles your entire life means you're a Republican agent if you run against their candidate. And who could forget - voting for Stein or Johnson over people like them makes you an enemy, but voting for Trump against a leftist is independent leadership.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #466 on: October 31, 2019, 09:20:27 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2019, 09:25:50 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

They will, not sure why anybody really doubts that. Manchin is a DINO representing a Trump +40 state. He's hardly representative of the more "moderate" establishment or their supporters.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #467 on: October 31, 2019, 10:37:23 PM »

Bernie Sanders Volunteers is on track for 2M Calls in 10 odd days or something like that. Also did 1M Calls @ the start of the week. Also number of donations have increased compared to last month although amount raised is similar.

In the latest poll of College Students in Iowa, Bernie gains & Liz falls a bit so Bernie overtakes her to take No.1 Spot. The momentum is on the upward side.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #468 on: October 31, 2019, 10:59:50 PM »

Noam Chomsky: Bernie Sanders ‘Has Absolutely Infuriated The Liberal Establishment’

“He has absolutely infuriated the liberal establishment by committing a major crime,” Chomsky said, explaining that the Democratic elite is not opposed to Sanders just because they don’t like his policies, but because he has managed to build a powerful movement of activists willing to participate in the political process. “His crime was to organize an ongoing political movement that doesn’t just show up at the polls every four years and push a button, but keeps working. That’s no good. The rabble is supposed to stay home.

This, according to Chomsky, is the main reason Democratic establishment is more comfortable with Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren. Although a progressive, Warren is not a movement politician, the historian explained, and she does not want to “institute radical institutional changes.” What Sanders has done, according to Chomsky, irks the elite because his movement helped individuals such as New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez get into Congress. “That’s scary. Nobody in the political mainstream wants that,” Chomsky said, noting that Warren has “perfectly reasonable” policy proposals.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5722127/chomsky-sanders-political-movement/
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #469 on: October 31, 2019, 11:05:42 PM »

Sen. Bernie Sanders released a plan to legalize marijuana. The proposal is among the most ambitious from one of the Democratic presidential candidates. It would move to legalize marijuana within 100 days through executive action. First, Sanders would sign an executive order directing the attorney general to declassify marijuana as a controlled substanceremoving it from the drug scheduling system and effectively legalizing weed at the federal level. Sanders would then push Congress to pass a bill to “ensure permanent legalization of marijuana.” After it’s legalized at the federal level, states would also still need to legalize within their own borders.

Separately, the Sanders administration would push state and federal authorities to expunge past convictions for marijuana. As noted in Sanders’s criminal justice reform plan, he would also set up an independent clemency board to grant those with federal convictions an early relief. Sanders also promises to use new tax revenue from legal marijuana to create a $20 billion grant program for “entrepreneurs of color who continue to face discrimination in access to capital” and another $10 billion grant program for businesses “that are at least 51% owned or controlled by those in disproportionately impacted areas or individuals who have been arrested for or convicted of marijuana offenses.”

Finally, Sanders would ban tobacco companies, as well as other companies that make cancer-causing products or are “guilty of deceptive marketing,” from the pot industry; set market share and franchise caps; and establish federal regulation for the safety of cannabis products.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/10/24/20930422/bernie-sanders-marijuana-legalization-plan
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #470 on: November 01, 2019, 02:37:25 AM »

They left the filibuster intact for SCOTUS justices as a gesture of good will and Moscow Mitch abolished it the moment he had the chance to confirm a Republican nominee.  

Scenario: Democrats abolish the filibuster. 8 years later, Republicans win a trifecta and use it to repeal Obamacare and openly consider repealing Medicare. They use it to pass the largest tax cut for the wealthy in history. And there's not a damn thing Democrats can do about it.

Still think it's a good idea?

Of course, you'll just collectively blame progressives for it, but still.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #471 on: November 01, 2019, 05:31:25 AM »

Scenario: Democrats abolish the filibuster. 8 years later, Republicans win a trifecta and use it to repeal Obamacare and openly consider repealing Medicare. They use it to pass the largest tax cut for the wealthy in history. And there's not a damn thing Democrats can do about it.

That's how democracy works: the majority has the right to enact its legislative agenda and the voters will approve or disapprove it in the next election.
No other western democracy besides the US has something like the filibuster, and yet, most of them are doing quite well. 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #472 on: November 01, 2019, 06:39:20 AM »

That's how democracy works: the majority has the right to enact its legislative agenda and the voters will approve or disapprove it in the next election.
No other western democracy besides the US has something like the filibuster, and yet, most of them are doing quite well. 

So you just completely change legislation every couple of years? Go into a cycle of repeal after repeal after repeal?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #473 on: November 01, 2019, 06:44:52 AM »

So you just completely change legislation every couple of years? Go into a cycle of repeal after repeal after repeal?

If that's what the voters want, yes. Democracy is messy.
But chances are that something this dramatic won't happen. Republicans are trying to repeal Obamacare 10 years now and they still haven't done it despite the fact that they only needed a simple majority two years ago.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #474 on: November 01, 2019, 06:57:59 AM »

I think you two are arguing about whether a glass is half full or half empty.

If you get rid of the filibuster with a vote, then you can pass anything with a simple majority, but so can the opposition when they inevitably claw their way back to power.

Sanders' plan....does literally the exact same thing. The only major differences with his plan is that you dont need to vote to get rid of the filibuster with it. His plan still effectively kills the voting filibuster, as it sets precedent for the Vice President to just consider everything budget reconciliation for future congresses.

No matter how you slice it, almost every presidential nominee wants to do away with the filibuster, they just disagree on how to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies