Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:03:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129920 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: October 17, 2019, 06:08:17 PM »

Haven't seen the context, but it sounds like he's referring to the fact that all three of those women represent urban districts, and Dems need rural appeal right now.

Even if that's not what he meant, the skepticism towards his word choice here is somewhat justified because "urban" often subliminally suggests minority status.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #326 on: October 17, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »

Haven't seen the context, but it sounds like he's referring to the fact that all three of those women represent urban districts, and Dems need rural appeal right now.
Bruh
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #327 on: October 17, 2019, 09:26:44 PM »

When John King asked if their endorsement was 'too hip-hop,' he was referring to the fact that all three of those women represent districts where hip-hop is popular, and Dems need to appeal to country fans right now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #328 on: October 17, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »

The media was attacking Bernie for having too many white supporters 4 years ago.

Also, their erasure of Bernie is beyond ridiculous.

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2019, 01:43:21 AM »

It's clear that CNN is biased to Biden Harris Buttigieg and Beto I've thought that NBC's had been pretty unbiased up until now, they seem to be on the side of Warren sad to see

It's clear that every media source is biased to Biden Harris Buttigieg Beto Warren Ryan Bennet Steyer Castro Booker Klobuchar and not the candidate I like
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2019, 03:15:28 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2019, 04:23:35 AM by Smiling John »

Even if that's not what he meant, the skepticism towards his word choice here is somewhat justified because "urban" often subliminally suggests minority status.

I fully understand the connotations, but I think giving the benefit of the doubt is warranted here. I just watched the video and I stand by my earlier post. In fact, his comment was even tamer than I thought. He's referring to Democratic strategy and how they're relying too heavily on turnout in the cities.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »

John King is CNN's map guy, so the context isn't as strange as you would think. Atlas of all places should get this. How much discussion have we had on this exact topic?

But at least this dope got a few thousand likes out if suggesting that he's a barely closeted white supremacist. Twitter makes idiots of us all.

If he said this about any other candidate, every single Atlas Dem would by calling him a racist pig and demanding he be fired.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »

I fully understand the connotations, but I think giving the benefit of the doubt is warranted here. I just watched the video and I stand by my earlier post. In fact, his comment was even tamer than I thought. He's referring to Democratic strategy and how they're relying too heavily on turnout in the cities.

Sure, speaking for myself I'm not particularly bothered by this, but I am just pointing out why some others might be and that it isn't entirely knee-jerk, even as there might be some of it, as always.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #333 on: October 19, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »

Official AOC endorsement video:

Compelling stuff.

----

And here's a picture of the #BerniesBack rally today:

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #334 on: October 19, 2019, 05:35:35 PM »

The largest rally this year of any candidate by a decent margin.

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #335 on: October 19, 2019, 05:43:22 PM »

The largest rally this year of any candidate by a decent margin.

This might get him all the way up to 16%!
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #336 on: October 19, 2019, 06:34:16 PM »

Not going to lie, as a Bernie ‘16 voter turned Warren ‘20 supporter — this is the first moment I’ve considered jumping back onto the Bern train.

I’d be very happy with either of them, tbh. And will vote for whoever is in a stronger position vis a vis Biden when Texas comes around.
Babeuf

« Reply #337 on: October 19, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »

Went to the rally. Good time, great turnout. Bernie's back!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #338 on: October 19, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »

I tried to go, but plans got in the way. Would've loved to have made it though.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #339 on: October 19, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »

26K. Huge crowd.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #340 on: October 19, 2019, 11:23:03 PM »

Although I haven't seen the footage of the Rally in NYC, but as an Irish-American whose Grandmother came into the Harbor with the Statue, who was "Shanty Irish", I doubt any slanders against Bernie for his letter to Thatcher will cause any significant harm among Irish-American Democrats throughout the USA.

If anything it will be a rallying cry for the Irish-American diaspora within the USA, where we strongly supported the Freedom and Independence of a United (36) Counties of Ireland against British Colonial Rule and an Occupation regime of the (6) Counties in the North.

Very few Irish-Americans would find fault with Bernie's letter to Mrs Thatcher in '81 at the time of the Hunger Strikes and massive raids within the Housing Estates in West Belfast, Free Derry, and beyond.

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #341 on: October 20, 2019, 08:36:01 AM »

Although I haven't seen the footage of the Rally in NYC, but as an Irish-American whose Grandmother came into the Harbor with the Statue, who was "Shanty Irish", I doubt any slanders against Bernie for his letter to Thatcher will cause any significant harm among Irish-American Democrats throughout the USA.

If anything it will be a rallying cry for the Irish-American diaspora within the USA, where we strongly supported the Freedom and Independence of a United (36) Counties of Ireland against British Colonial Rule and an Occupation regime of the (6) Counties in the North.

Very few Irish-Americans would find fault with Bernie's letter to Mrs Thatcher in '81 at the time of the Hunger Strikes and massive raids within the Housing Estates in West Belfast, Free Derry, and beyond.

Personally, I have no issues with anything in Bernie's letter to Thatcher. If anything, the only negative I would point out is that it is yet again another issue where Bernie takes a stand, makes some symbolic gesture, and ends up achieving nothing. Unlike criminal neoliberal corporatist warmongerer Bill Clinton, who later helped to organize the Good Friday agreement and now has a statue in his honor in Belfast.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #342 on: October 20, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »

Personally, I have no issues with anything in Bernie's letter to Thatcher. If anything, the only negative I would point out is that it is yet again another issue where Bernie takes a stand, makes some symbolic gesture, and ends up achieving nothing. Unlike criminal neoliberal corporatist warmongerer Bill Clinton, who later helped to organize the Good Friday agreement and now has a statue in his honor in Belfast.

I agree, it's a knock on Bernie that as Mayor of Burlington he didn't bring peace to Northern Ireland.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #343 on: October 20, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »

I agree, it's a knock on Bernie that as Mayor of Burlington he didn't bring peace to Northern Ireland.

If his supporters are going to use it as an example of a reason I should support him, I can criticize that viewpoint on its merits. Otherwise, I would never have cared.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #344 on: October 20, 2019, 10:34:38 AM »

According to Sanders surrogates he brought onstage at the Brooklyn rally, it's offensive to question the fitness of the Senator.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #345 on: October 20, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »

That's not even true. Biden has gotten a lot of questions about his age and fitness.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #346 on: October 20, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »

It's ageist to ask about a 78 year old man having a heart attack asking for one of the most stressful positions on Earth? Mkay.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #347 on: October 20, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »

Well Crumpets my friend you do make a good point regarding the popularity if Bill Clinton within Ireland Proper, as well as the Irish Diaspora within the United States, Europe, and Australia.

Naturally, this extended to the 2008 American Presidential Election, where this rock band called the Corrigan Brothers recorded a song called: "There is no one as Irish as Barack Obama"....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_No_One_as_Irish_as_Barack_O%27Bama

You are absolutely correct that Irish-Americans do not support any one Democratic Candidate, nor do Irish-Americans self-identify in support for any particular political party,

Bernie Sanders does as a relatively secular Jewish-American who has lived for Years within Metro New York, as well as time in Chicago has a close relationship with Puerto-Rican and Dominican populations, as evidenced by the '16 DEM Primary precinct level results in Chicago and NYC.

It might be a stretch that Democratic Irish-Americans in the large Metro Areas of NE, NYC, Central Atlantic, as well as in various precincts within Ohio are currently backing Bernie vs Biden or Warren.

I stand corrected sir, but still I strongly doubt this will hurt Bernie among Irish-American Catholic Voters within key Cities and Precincts within New Hampshire & Maine, not to even speak of MA, RI, CT and New York....

I strongly suspect that any Democratic Presidential Candidate that attacks Bernie because of his support for a position where the Vatican took sides, the Government of the South of Ireland took sides, and even opposition back-benchers in the UK Parliment took sides, will not experience any negatives because he was pleading for Peace and Justice in Northern Ireland, where many of us saw as a last ditch effort to maintain an essentially "Apartheid" style regime within the Occupied Six Counties of the North, after the Civil Rights Movement was met with murder and massacre.

We do not and will never forget the deaths of Millions of Irish on the battlefields of Europe in WW I, the perfidy of the English and mass murder at the time of the agricultural crisis in Ireland which caused many of our Ancestors to "involuntarily relocate" overseas, and now that the War is finally over and the Civil Rights of the Northern Irish Population is secured, now we see BREXIT as both the next threat and the next opportunity.

We tore down the Wall that divided the North and South of Ireland....

British Troops withdrew as an Occupation Army and took down the Union Jack....

Protestant and Catholic Free Northern Irish Men & Women had to rebuild a fragile trust and build a new conception of self-identity where both communities had to acknowledge both their mutual fears, but also their mutual interests.

BREXIT now creates a potential scenario of a United Free and Independent Ireland where all (36) Counties within a state of mutual co-existence essentially have a coordinated economic program that allows economic investment from the ROI to flow North, while BREXIT will further remove the English from Northern Ireland.

Additionally, we now have Scotland which has been on the verge of declaring independence for a decade plus....

Who are the Protestants of Northern Ireland?

Heavily Scottish that were deeded land at the hand of the crown way back around the time of the "Battle of the Boyne"

Older Irish-Americans do not forget these things....

When you come from the "Old Country" into the "New World" you don't automatically forget your past, while you in the present, and then moving towards the future.

Long diatribe, but I suspect Bernie's support levels among Latino-Americans is not just concentrated within Metro LA, Chicago, and Metro NYC (As we observed in the 2016 late DEM Primaries) but has actually significantly expanded, while meanwhile some of the Educated and Middle-Upper Middle Class DEM ladies have shifted towards Warren....

Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #348 on: October 21, 2019, 06:57:28 AM »

Well Crumpets my friend you do make a good point regarding the popularity if Bill Clinton within Ireland Proper, as well as the Irish Diaspora within the United States, Europe, and Australia.

Naturally, this extended to the 2008 American Presidential Election, where this rock band called the Corrigan Brothers recorded a song called: "There is no one as Irish as Barack Obama"....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_No_One_as_Irish_as_Barack_O%27Bama

You are absolutely correct that Irish-Americans do not support any one Democratic Candidate, nor do Irish-Americans self-identify in support for any particular political party,

Bernie Sanders does as a relatively secular Jewish-American who has lived for Years within Metro New York, as well as time in Chicago has a close relationship with Puerto-Rican and Dominican populations, as evidenced by the '16 DEM Primary precinct level results in Chicago and NYC.

It might be a stretch that Democratic Irish-Americans in the large Metro Areas of NE, NYC, Central Atlantic, as well as in various precincts within Ohio are currently backing Bernie vs Biden or Warren.

I stand corrected sir, but still I strongly doubt this will hurt Bernie among Irish-American Catholic Voters within key Cities and Precincts within New Hampshire & Maine, not to even speak of MA, RI, CT and New York....

I strongly suspect that any Democratic Presidential Candidate that attacks Bernie because of his support for a position where the Vatican took sides, the Government of the South of Ireland took sides, and even opposition back-benchers in the UK Parliment took sides, will not experience any negatives because he was pleading for Peace and Justice in Northern Ireland, where many of us saw as a last ditch effort to maintain an essentially "Apartheid" style regime within the Occupied Six Counties of the North, after the Civil Rights Movement was met with murder and massacre.

We do not and will never forget the deaths of Millions of Irish on the battlefields of Europe in WW I, the perfidy of the English and mass murder at the time of the agricultural crisis in Ireland which caused many of our Ancestors to "involuntarily relocate" overseas, and now that the War is finally over and the Civil Rights of the Northern Irish Population is secured, now we see BREXIT as both the next threat and the next opportunity.

We tore down the Wall that divided the North and South of Ireland....

British Troops withdrew as an Occupation Army and took down the Union Jack....

Protestant and Catholic Free Northern Irish Men & Women had to rebuild a fragile trust and build a new conception of self-identity where both communities had to acknowledge both their mutual fears, but also their mutual interests.

BREXIT now creates a potential scenario of a United Free and Independent Ireland where all (36) Counties within a state of mutual co-existence essentially have a coordinated economic program that allows economic investment from the ROI to flow North, while BREXIT will further remove the English from Northern Ireland.

Additionally, we now have Scotland which has been on the verge of declaring independence for a decade plus....

Who are the Protestants of Northern Ireland?

Heavily Scottish that were deeded land at the hand of the crown way back around the time of the "Battle of the Boyne"

Older Irish-Americans do not forget these things....

When you come from the "Old Country" into the "New World" you don't automatically forget your past, while you in the present, and then moving towards the future.

Long diatribe, but I suspect Bernie's support levels among Latino-Americans is not just concentrated within Metro LA, Chicago, and Metro NYC (As we observed in the 2016 late DEM Primaries) but has actually significantly expanded, while meanwhile some of the Educated and Middle-Upper Middle Class DEM ladies have shifted towards Warren...

There are 32 counties in Ireland. So unless you want to include Lancashire (Liverpool), Lanarkshire (Glasgow), Suffolk County and Middlesex County in a United Ireland it wouldn't have 36 counties. Smiley
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #349 on: October 21, 2019, 05:23:33 PM »

This is disqualifying.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies