2024 watch: Cruz says he wants to run for president again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2024 watch: Cruz says he wants to run for president again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2024 watch: Cruz says he wants to run for president again  (Read 2395 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 10:30:49 PM »

Cruz will have a decent chance, even if he'll be considered a little too centrist for the Republican Party of 2024.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 01:58:21 AM »

Cruz will have a decent chance, even if he'll be considered a little too centrist for the Republican Party of 2024.

Depends on the fate of Mr. Trump. If he loses, Cruz chances are decent, otherwise depends on who the orange clown is endorsing.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM »

He would have a shot for the nomination if Trump loses next year. Otherwise, Pence seems to be in a good position for one-on-one with Nikki Haley. But I doubt he will ever be president.

What is it with the Nikki Haley hype? She’d never win the nomination.

A much better question is why you so adamantly believe this.

Let's start with the fact that she's a brown woman named Nimrata Randhawa. Actually, let's end there too.

Mmmmk.  I’d also like to know if that’s the reasoning behind an actual Republican’s line of thinking, like MT Treasurer.

Still not sure if I’m an "actual" Republican. Tongue

But no, that’s (obviously) not my reasoning. I just don’t see Haley successfully unifying all the factions in the Republican Party, as she’s (maybe you’ll disagree) cast in the same mold as your typical Condoleezza Rice/Bush-era Republican, especially on foreign policy. This has nothing to do with her name or the fact that she’s Indian-American.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »

I have no doubt that Cruz will be running again, but his window has probably passed him by.  His best shot was in 2016, had Trump not ran.  Even then, I think he still loses to Bush... I go into much more detail about this in some other thread that I'm not gonna bother searching for right now, but the long and short of it is- Cruz was a factional candidate that was never going to get establishment support.  This was obviously not a problem for Trump, but Trump was a dynamic candidate in a way that Cruz is never going to be.

And that's going to be his problem going forward- he's still a factional candidate, except now that faction has only decreased in relevance/power, and on top of that, he's become yesterday's news.  Add in the fact that a lot of people find him very unlikeable- not unlikeable as in Trump (i.e. being a dick), but unlikeable as in "he gives me the creeps."  Which is about 100x worse.  I expect he'll do, at best, as well as 2016, but probably a lot worse.

As far as Haley goes, no, her problem is not what Icespear mentions.  Which is obvious chest-thumping and I assume most people are savvy enough to recognize that as opposed to being misled into thinking it's serious analysis, since Haley emerged from SC and was not exactly a liberal Rockefeller-style Republican from MA or anything.  Of course, the rather childish insistence on using her given name there was a nice little touch, I'm sure SC voters called her exactly the same thing and it was an oh-so paramount concern when she won her last primary by over 20 points.

No, the problem RINO Tom- is more along what Indyrep says.  She's a product of a particular era of the GOP, an era that is coming (perhaps already came) to a close.  The timing was just never right for her- by the time she emerged on the scene, the party was clearly moving on from that... at least in style, if not in substance, and I'd argue that by now, it's moved on in terms of both.  Now I understand this is to your chagrin Tom, but the longer you ignore reality, the harder this is going to be for you. Wink

Now, to be fair, maybe she's a skilled enough politician to rebrand herself and pick up some signature issue that will be particularly relevant in 2024 (we'll see)... I have my doubts, simply because candidates that try to do this always fail- if your moment has passed you by, you are not going to become the next in-vogue candidate, no matter what you do- it's out of your hands.  But who knows, I could be wrong.  We'll see.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »

Adding to the 2024 watch:

Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »

Hurd's statement in that article seems pretty lukewarm so a run may be unlikely. Not to mention, he would struggle in the GOP primary because of his past criticisms of Trump.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »

Hurd's statement in that article seems pretty lukewarm so a run may be unlikely. Not to mention, he would struggle in the GOP primary because of his past criticisms of Trump.

After Trump loses in 2020, prior criticism of Trump will be an advantage.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 01:56:43 PM »

After Trump loses in 2020, prior criticism of Trump will be an advantage.

Usually yes, but depends how much alive the Trump cult at the Republican base will remain. I haven't that much hope for the coming years; maybe we can talk a decade from now.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »

We know that Cruz supports term limits, so he probably doesn't want to run for a third term (in 2024) and look like a hypocrite.

I doubt Ted Cruz of all people cares about looking like a hypocrite. If he's going to have a hard fought election regardless I'm sure he'd much rather it be for president than Senate, particularly because the Senate was nothing more than a stepping stone for him to begin with.

She was first nominated by Republican Primary voters in South Carolina lol
South Carolina is more establishmenty than you give credit for. Plenty of mainline Republicans live there, it's not just racist Trump supporters.

Plus 2024 is not 2010. Fact is Haley was a decent fit for the party 5-10 years ago, she isn't now though.

Lmao the party won’t be more racist in 2024 than they were in 2010
They so clearly will be.

No lol

If that is what makes you sleep at night. It might be and it might now be. It probably will be though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies