Univision/UH: Cornyn +1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:41:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Senate & House Election Polls
  Univision/UH: Cornyn +1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Univision/UH: Cornyn +1  (Read 1706 times)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:06:53 AM »

Cornyn (R, inc.) 41
Generic Democrat 40

Hispanics break 58-22 for the Democrat.

Also, just 30% think either O'Rourke or Castro should enter the race.

https://static.univision.com/especiales/noticias/infografias/2019/encuesta-septiembre/univision_national_texas_poll.pdf
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »

Yeah, I never bought Cornyn being safe or unbeatable. Gonna be a close race.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:25:42 AM »

While I'm guessing Trump and Cornyn hold Texas down in 2020, the longterm trend there should definitely worry Republicans.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:16:15 AM »

While I'm guessing Trump and Cornyn hold Texas down in 2020, the longterm trend there should definitely worry Republicans.

If Trump wins. Like I have said, I don't expect a democrat to do very well in a close election. The last close one they won was in 1976.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 11:18:26 AM »

It’s not that simple ; this poll has Trump down 5 against his democratic opponents (on average) and his approval rate is -12 (less than his nationwide approval rate), the fact that Cornyn is still leading by 1 despite these two elements disproves the idea that the race will be very close, at least in my opinion
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »

Good news for Hegar.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »

It’s not that simple ; this poll has Trump down 5 against his democratic opponents (on average) and his approval rate is -12 (less than his nationwide approval rate), the fact that Cornyn is still leading by 1 despite these two elements disproves the idea that the race will be very close, at least in my opinion

And you and Mr. Computer are entitled to that.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »

Generic Democrat polls are usually useless, especially this far out. But Cornyn stuck at 41% isn't a good sign for him. Lean Republican for now; probably closer to likely than tossup. But it's early and things can change.

Beto obviously made a huge miscalculation with his presidential campaign. Jumping back into the senate race now would make him look like a desperate officeseeker. That's why only 30% want him to run now.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 04:44:02 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2019, 06:19:52 PM by Calthrina950 »

Generic Democrat polls are usually useless, especially this far out. But Cornyn stuck at 41% isn't a good sign for him. Lean Republican for now; probably closer to likely than tossup. But it's early and things can change.

Beto obviously made a huge miscalculation with his presidential campaign. Jumping back into the senate race now would make him look like a desperate officeseeker. That's why only 30% want him to run now.

Even though this poll seems flawed to me (how can there be that many undecideds?), I think that it is more likely than not that Cornyn will be held to a mid to high single digit margin in 2020. And it's also clear to me that O'Rourke would have been well poised to knock Cornyn off next year had he not launched his vain presidential bid, or if he had dropped out months ago. His last opportunity to pivot was back in August, but instead he decided to renew his presidential campaign.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »

Maybe a tad generous to the Democrats (Trump -12 approval is a bit hard to believe), but this is like the fifth poll to show Texas being somewhat competitive.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 06:17:47 AM »

Safe Republican and you’re in denial if you think otherwise.

Beto would’ve made this a Likely Republican seat if he didn’t say what he said in the debate about guns (Granted I agree with his position 100% but shouldn’t have said it if he had any plans of running for senate)
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 06:13:39 PM »

So let me guess: you're one of the fine Americans who have already conveniently forgotten about 2018, right?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 06:22:50 PM »

Its bold, but with impeachment of Trump becoming more, not less likely, TX will turn blue in 2020, its time for radical, not incrimental reform.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »

So let me guess: you're one of the fine Americans who have already conveniently forgotten about 2018, right?

Just the opposite in fact..

In 2018 a young, charismatic candidate that was able to bring young people out in droves .. against a candidate even some republicans couldn’t stand .....and on election night returns were coming in and everyone was SHOCKED at how close it was and excitement was building and building......

Only for the guy to lose by four points
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »

I believe he was one of the people predicting a red wave until the literal day of the election.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 01:30:25 PM »

In 2018 a young, charismatic candidate that was able to bring young people out in droves .. against a candidate even some republicans couldn’t stand .....and on election night returns were coming in and everyone was SHOCKED at how close it was and excitement was building and building......

By 2 points, while the average polls had Cruz up by 4.
UncleSam

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »

Ok beto lost by 2.6 points to Ted Cruz. Ted Cruz is not a strong candidate and 2018 was a good Dem year, particularly in Texas.

It is extremely unlikely this race will be competitive in 2020.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »

TX isnt needed to win EC, but TX Rs retirements hurt Rs chances in TX and Dems do need a mandate. The last two elections that were won by Ds, were mandates and TX can flip in a wave
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 01:53:23 PM »

They won't be running Unbeatable Titan Generic Democrat here, which leads me to believe this will be a single-digit Cornyn win.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 01:54:49 PM »

I believe he was one of the people predicting a red wave until the literal day of the election.

And now he's one of the people pretending 2018 never happened to suit his sky-is-falling narrative. Gotcha. Onto ignore!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »

Ok beto lost by 2.6 points to Ted Cruz. Ted Cruz is not a strong candidate and 2018 was a good Dem year, particularly in Texas.

Since when was Ted Cruz ever a bad candidate? He certainly isn't the most personable candidate, but he didn't have any scandals or major problems that caused the race to be close. Texas just isn't the safe Republican state it was before. Reality bites for Republicans.
UncleSam

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »

Since when was Ted Cruz ever a bad candidate? He certainly isn't the most personable candidate, but he didn't have any scandals or major problems that caused the race to be close. Texas just isn't the safe Republican state it was before. Reality bites for Republicans.
Seriously? Ted Cruz consistently underperforms generic R margins because he is viewed unfavorably by even a majority of Texans due to his complete lack of charisma, obvious further political ambitions, and generally annoying attitude that makes him work poorly with others - even within his own party. In what way is he not a bad candidate?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »

Seriously? Ted Cruz consistently underperforms generic R margins because he is viewed unfavorably by even a majority of Texans due to his complete lack of charisma, obvious further political ambitions, and generally annoying attitude that makes him work poorly with others - even within his own party. In what way is he not a bad candidate?

Then what about the State House?   Why did it follow more to the Senate race rather than the Governor race in terms of votes?   The Republicans only won the State House vote by 5.94% in 2018.   That's substantially lower than Trump's numbers and Trump's numbers in 2016 were already bad when compared to previous elections.  

When you look at the Congressional House races, the Republicans only won by 3.4%.

This idea that Cruz vs O'Rourke was just "bad candidate vs good candidate" is nonsense.   There's way too much data pointing at something else going on.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »

And now he's one of the people pretending 2018 never happened to suit his sky-is-falling narrative. Gotcha. Onto ignore!

It’s not sky is falling it’s tampering unrealistic optimism. It’s not wanting to make the same mistakes we’ve been making for a while. It’s being terrified that the way 35% of the population is literally brainwashed.

BUT... I didn’t predict a Red wave. I predicted a Dem house pickup of 10-15 seats, just shy of a takeover of the house. I predicted GOP picks up MO, IN, ND. Dems pick up AZ. So I was slightly more pessimistic on the house side and a push on the Senate
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 05:20:06 PM »

Turnout in Texas was high (relatively speaking) along with every other state in the country. Beto wasn't responsible for all of that. He might have made a small contribution, but that's it. The more polarized things get, the less individual candidates matter.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies