Michigan GOP claims independent redistricting violates the First Amendment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:24:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Michigan GOP claims independent redistricting violates the First Amendment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Michigan GOP claims independent redistricting violates the First Amendment  (Read 1444 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« on: October 03, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »

The House is honestly not that notably large. The British House of Commons, French Parliament, German Bundestag and many other legislatures have more members. Even the Canadian Parliament is about 75% of its size.

Yeah we should at least adopt the cube root rule for the house -- it would increase its size by about 50%.
Only 435 representatives for ~330 million people is ludicrous.

I would favor either this or the Wyoming rule.
I totally agree with these ideas as well. But, I know that one reason the Congress used when capping the number at 435 was that the House chamber couldn't handle anymore seats. I wonder what would be a solution to this? I doubt members, even with possibly giving non-main chamber seats to new members, would be happy having their seats in some room away from the main chamber in one of the office buildings or at some other remote site. Maybe it's time to build a new addition to the Capitol to serve as the chamber of an enlarged House? It could be above the visitor's center, or South of (since the House office buildings are South of the Capitol building) the current House Chamber in the Capitol building, connected by underground passageways to existing buildings, possibly? The current House Chamber could be kept in its current state for historic purposes and used for special events like the State of the Union address, similar to how the old Senate chamber is kept in its mid-19th Century state (complete with spittoons, lol). Expanding the current chamber is also an option. But, I would imagine it would cost as nearly much as building a new chamber, as well as impact the Capitol building's historic integrity and as a result face opposition from historic preservationists and the public.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies