Should the UK leave or remain in the EU? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:01:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should the UK leave or remain in the EU? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should the UK leave or remain in the EU?  (Read 2692 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: September 10, 2019, 02:08:44 AM »

Arent we just giving our opinion.

If its only between No-Deal Brexit and Remain then I would go with No-Deal Brexit at this point. Its not like you cant sign a trade deal with the EU after you leave as well which is what should be done.
Leave, then sign a trade deal with the EU. Then you basically get Brexit with a Deal even though it is technically Brexit without a deal.

I just wanna say though, ruling out No-Deal Brexit from the get go was idiotic in every way, and actually made No-Deal Brexit more possible. Giving up the leverage the UK had against the EU was dumb in every way, as why would the EU then give the UK a good deal lol.

Lastly after seeing how the EU has acted over the past few years, I hold the EU in complete contempt at this point and do not care one bit what happens to it. It really should be nothing more than a trade agreement. The EU doesnt respect Free Speech Rights or Sovereignty one bit and actually deserves to be dismantled

Er no you don't- Theresa May's Deal was about building a halfway house whilst the deal is negotiated. The deal created a transition period, and carried across key provisions of our EU membership (EU wide policing like the Arrest Warrant, relatively 'frictionless' trade within the single market, EU citizens rights/UK citizens in the EU) whilst upholding the Good Friday Agreement and no-hard border in Northern Ireland.

There was never any leverage from no-deal; and it's for two reasons.

1.) THE EU CAN READ ENGLISH: In true British stupidity our politicians would talk openly about having no-deal as a bargaining chip, and using it as a threat to get a good deal- the EU does read our press, and our media so they if they saw it as a cheap threat. If you keep telling everyone 'oh yeah lets use this as a bluff to get a good deal' people will see through it.

2.) NO DEAL HURTS THE UK MORE: Something like 55% of our trade is with the EU; I'm pretty certain that this figure in the reverse is lower for most, or all EU countries- meaning that on trade alone we're a net loser. Even if I was one of the smaller EU countries I'd much rather be inside a powerful trading block during any turmoil, than be like the UK. Outside of areas like trade it was always clear that no-deal would have such a damaging impact on a whole range of areas (policing, agriculture, trade, our NHS etc etc) that the UK Government simply wouldn't carry it through, and that resistance would occur in all the areas you expect (the courts, parliament, devolved administration, etc)

In my mind believing that the EU should just be a free trade agreement also takes a very outdated view of two things; the collapse of the Eastern Bloc in 1989 and the reality of what trade actually means. Ironically Thatcher was the greatest advocate for the Single Market in the 1980s because she understood that the EU needed to be pushing for the freedom of goods and services to move freely; she just fail to understood that in order for goods and services to move freely and effectively within a single market, you also need a single framework on workers rights, environmental rights and the social aspect
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies