French Municipal elections - 2nd round 28 June 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:38:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Municipal elections - 2nd round 28 June 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: French Municipal elections - 2nd round 28 June 2020  (Read 19041 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2020, 03:26:15 PM »

She's only young relative to the dinosaurs running in the US Presidential election. She's 18 years older than Macron, and 9 years older than Panzergirl. Looking at heads of government around Europe, she's older than Johnson, Sánchez, Rutte, Orbán, Conte, Kurz, Duda, Mitsotakis among others.

She's only 5 years younger than Merkel who's been Chacellor of Germany since most posters on this site were still wearing diapers.

I really fail to see how she is so young that she can sit out 2022 and run in later presidential elections. If she wants to be president, 2022 seems like the ideal time to do it, or she'll be old news.

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »

She's only young relative to the dinosaurs running in the US Presidential election. She's 18 years older than Macron, and 9 years older than Panzergirl. Looking at heads of government around Europe, she's older than Johnson, Sánchez, Rutte, Orbán, Conte, Kurz, Duda, Mitsotakis among others.

She's only 5 years younger than Merkel who's been Chacellor of Germany since most posters on this site were still wearing diapers.

I really fail to see how she is so young that she can sit out 2022 and run in later presidential elections. If she wants to be president, 2022 seems like the ideal time to do it, or she'll be old news.

She still has time to wait until the scars of Hollande 2012-2017 have dissipated is what I mean. Juppé was going to run at 71, Chirac ran in 2002 at a quite grand old age. 
Do you seriously believe someone like Hidalgo can run a successful united left ticket in 2022? Its totally unrealistic.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2020, 03:53:14 PM »

She still has time to wait until the scars of Hollande 2012-2017 have dissipated is what I mean. Juppé was going to run at 71, Chirac ran in 2002 at a quite grand old age. 
Do you seriously believe someone like Hidalgo can run a successful united left ticket in 2022? Its totally unrealistic.

The idea of anyone being a successful unity left-wing candidate is unrealistic. We're talking about the left... in France.

I'm guessing Hidalgo would crash and burn if she ran in 2022, but I really doubt her prospects would be better in 2027, especially considering her age, which already is relatively old compared to most leading politicians in France and Europe already and will be even more so 7 years from now.
gg norman

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »

Out of 236 cities with more than 30,000 inhabitants

18 LFI, PCF (25 in 2014)
42 PS (51)
16 DVG (6)
10 EELV (2)
Total left: 86 (84 in 2014)

23 Center (LREM, UDI, MoDem) (29 in 2014)

77 LR (102)
43 DVD (18)
Total right: 120 (120)

RN: 3 (2)
Divers: 4 (1)

So overall not necessarily a great success for the left which barely improve from the disaster of 2014.

Are LR's loss and DVD's gains mostly from sitting right-wingers just switching to a pro-Macron Agir's label or did they actually change hands?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2020, 04:01:47 PM by Zinneke »

The idea of anyone being a successful unity left-wing candidate is unrealistic. We're talking about the left... in France.

I'm guessing Hidalgo would crash and burn if she ran in 2022, but I really doubt her prospects would be better in 2027, especially considering her age, which already is relatively old compared to most leading politicians in France and Europe already and will be even more so 7 years from now.

Well again, she would have to be tone deaf to run in 2022 after running a mayoral election 2 years before knowing she could fall flat on her face very easily. She is far more likely to run in 2027 if she learnt anything from her mentor Delanoe, who also considered a bid during his protracted term.

She would not be old by French presidential standards. Macron is just exceptionally young. As are the new "fresh faces". There is of course a generational politics aspect behind it (although Macron is more popular with the elderly) - but Hidalgo was always seen as a moderniser.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2020, 04:44:10 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2020, 10:26:52 PM by Zinneke »

Marseilles is an almighty shambles, with a potential secret, Thuringian style closed ballot alliance between the LR and the RN candidates to secure the mayorality as the "left block" is divided. LR even changed their candidate to soften up the RN stance of "Ni-Ni".
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2020, 04:56:00 PM »

Whatever happened to François Ruffin? Seems like he was once relevant enough to be included in a few presidential and approval polls beforehand if my memory serves right.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2020, 03:58:01 PM by parochial boy »

And speaking of "anti-système" celebrities at the presidential election, note that the weird attrape-tout list formed around Mohed Altrad, Rémi Gaillard and supported by LFI (!?) completely flopped out in Montpellier - way, way below what they got combined in the first round.

Whatever happened to François Ruffin? Seems like he was once relevant enough to be included in a few presidential and approval polls beforehand if my memory serves right.

Still around, he's got a new book out, and last I heard he had a parliamentary assisstant living within in order to make youtube videos during the lockdown. I feel pretty confident he wont stand against Méluche, and even then, as much as Merci Patron was a good film, for the moment I'm not sure he's got a lot going for him beyond "I'm from Picardie".

Honestly, at this very point in time, I would be looking at Éric Piolle as the best hope for the left. I don't particularly like they guy, but at least he will openly admit that he is left wing (cough, Yannick Jadot, cough); got the the pretty enthusiastic support of the likes of Ruffin and Clémentine Autain; and got a pretty positive showing in Grenoble.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2020, 10:50:49 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2020, 10:54:44 PM by Trends are real, and I f**king hate it »

Rubirola dutifully elected mayor in Marseille today, after a good deal of shenanigans and theatrics including a walkout by RN councilors, a suspension of the sitting that went on for hours, and a protracted wooing of PS dissident Samia Ghali, who tried to leverage her votes into the position of first deputy (she'll end up with the second spot instead). In the end, the vote was 51-41. Rubirola got the support of all Ghali councilors and even one originally from a dissident right-winger. That's an absolute majority, though not exactly a comfortable one.

And with that, the left is indeed in control of 8 of the 10 largest cities. And of those, 5 of them are women. Gender parity has been lagging in most areas of French politics, so that's very nice to see.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2020, 10:54:52 PM »

A dissident right-winger who was originally, in 2014, a dissident left-winger who allied with the right between the two rounds to win reelection in her turf. And one of the last bona fide Guérini loyalists still around (Ghali is a former protégé of his, but seem to have taken their distances over the last 5-6 years).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »

A dissident right-winger who was originally, in 2014, a dissident left-winger who allied with the right between the two rounds to win reelection in her turf. And one of the last bona fide Guérini loyalists still around (Ghali is a former protégé of his, but seem to have taken their distances over the last 5-6 years).

Oh lol, that's amazing. Gotta love that city.
Oliver
Rookie
Austria

« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »

Where can I find the political make-up (distribution of seats) of the metropolitain councils of the metropolitain areas and territorial councils which belong the Grand Paris?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies