If Trump wins again in 2020, who will the 2024 Dem nominee be? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:45:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If Trump wins again in 2020, who will the 2024 Dem nominee be? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Trump wins again in 2020, who will the 2024 Dem nominee be?  (Read 4803 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« on: September 28, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
« edited: September 28, 2019, 06:15:00 PM by Chris B »

I'm going against the grain here, but I think it'll be someone ideologically similar to Warren and Sanders even if one of those two wind up the nominee this time around and goes on to lose to Trump. I mean being seen as too far to the right on immigration was seen as one of the reason why Romney lost in '12 but that still didn't prevent Trump from winning the GOP nomination four years later. I'm skeptical that today's Democratic base would attribute being too liberal as the reason for a Warren or Sanders defeat so I'm personally not expecting a renewed love for more moderate candidates. And especially if Biden is nominated and loses, I think that fervor would be stoked even more.

That said, I could see Booker, Harris, and Buttigieg all giving it another try out of the candidates running this time. Maybe Warren as well if she loses to Biden in the primary, but as has been pointed out she'll be 75 by then.

Joe Kennedy III strikes me as real possibility assuming he defeats Markey in that primary.

None of the current Democratic governors strike me as really presidential material with the possible exceptions of Newsom and Whitmer.

This is part wishful thinking and part prognostication, but I could maybe see Sherrod Brown finally giving it a go. The fact that his Senate seat will be up that year could maybe circumvent the problem of DeWine picking his replacement, assuming a Dem isn't elected governor of Ohio in 2022.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies