If Trump wins again in 2020, who will the 2024 Dem nominee be? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:25:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If Trump wins again in 2020, who will the 2024 Dem nominee be? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Trump wins again in 2020, who will the 2024 Dem nominee be?  (Read 4763 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: September 08, 2019, 12:48:34 AM »

My first thought was "some Governor who was first elected in 2018", but honestly looking at the roster...

Gavin Newsom: Sleazy as hell, all sorts of skeletons in his closet.
Steve Sisolak: Too conservative, boring, kind of old.
Michelle Lujan Grisham: Maybe if she can actually get news for something? Seems kind of boring and generic but potential might be there.
Jared Polis: Too many shady ties like with Bitcoin.
Laura Kelly: Really boring and old. If she gets reelected she could run on the electability angle but I doubt people will care especially as she didn't so much win as the Kansas GOP lost (and that would probably be true in 2022 if she wins as well.)
Tim Walz: As much as I love this guy, I'd be very surprised if he's interested, and he's probably aware his Midwestern folksiness is the big part of his appeal and that would go nowhere nationally (especially after Klobuchar's failure to capitalize on it.)
Tony Evers: Old and almost certainly not interested.
JB Pritzker: I know Democrats have kind of turned around on him...but come on. Though I'll grant he's not as laughable of a Presidential candidate as Peter Florrick would've been.
Gretchen Whitmer: ...maybe? Actually pretty plausible.
Ned Lamont: Unpopular, unlikely to improve, already proven he's not really that great at campaigns or primaries unless he has the entire progressive movement backing him, which he sure won't this time.
Janet Mills: Old and boring.

Andrew Gillum would've been a contender had he won...but not Stacey Abrams, who has always been a laughably overhyped candidate who I frankly goes away forever (especially since it looks like Georgia might be developing a decent Democratic bench without her.)

Although looking at pre-existing Governors Tom Wolf would be a fantastic candidate except he's too old and almost certainly not interested. Phil Murphy actually looks pretty good on his record until you consider the optics of "former Goldman Sachs guy from New Jersey." For Cuomo, I'll just note that he's incredibly dull, uncharismatic and has a non-neglible chance of being indicted by then.

So I'm going to go with some Senator who isn't running now but is making a bit of a name for themselves and is sufficiently charismatic and high energy, like Chris Murphy or Tammy Duckworth, or some dark horse like Pete Buttigieg who isn't even on the radar yet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies