If there were somehow a vote to split the US along political lines, which states would vote for it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:26:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If there were somehow a vote to split the US along political lines, which states would vote for it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If there were somehow a vote to split the US along political lines, which states would vote for it?  (Read 977 times)
Horatii
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.50, S: 0.60

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »

Yes, I know, impossible or unrealistic, but it's a fun hypothetical. If there were some sort of national vote or referendum in the (sort of distant and even more polarized) future to split the country in two, which states would be most likely to vote yes? Which states would be the most opposed?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 06:57:57 AM »

Yes, I know, impossible or unrealistic, but it's a fun hypothetical. If there were some sort of national vote or referendum in the (sort of distant and even more polarized) future to split the country in two, which states would be most likely to vote yes? Which states would be the most opposed?
Hot take: Every state would vote against it.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 11:37:29 AM »

Hot take: Every state would vote against it.
Not even a hot take. I'd say it's very obvious!
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 09:11:01 AM »

West Virginia if the vote is very lucky but that's about it.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 02:28:55 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2021, 12:13:42 PM by Old School Democrat »

Wyoming & California are the most likely to but for different reasons.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 05:23:21 PM »

TX seems like it would be sessionist but that's mainly Republicans who support it and I imagine Democrats will control TX by 2040. CA and some ex-Confederacy states might support this but a lot depends on the circumstances. I also feel like GOP states might be more open to supporting this idea. However it's very unlikely to even win one state. Depends a lot on who gets to choose. If it's the governors, then the nation's in big trouble, but if it's a popular referendum that requires a high threshold (say, north of 60%), then a majority of states would vote against.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 05:25:03 PM »

if things go far enough that this is a serious proposal I think probably the majority in each state supports it, with voters for the other party voting against
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 06:00:23 PM »

This would basically be Horseshoe Theory: The Election (with moderates voting No, opposite to hardcore partisans on both sides voting Yes)
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 11:24:35 AM »

If the vote were just held without an outpouring of support for it, it would fail in every state. I've often wondered what would happen if there were independence movements in the U.S. as strong as those in other countries like the U.K.

Like if instead of the Scottish National Party (SNP), we had a California National Party that took California and its votes from the Democrats permanently ensuring that Democrats could not win a majority and hurting Democrats in unionist battleground seats in other seats. Republicans would be in charge even more and the Californian Independence Movement would become even more popular and it would escalate until there was a referendum of some sort.

But hey, just speculation.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 05:42:27 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: