The Mistake of Bipartisanship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:16:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  The Mistake of Bipartisanship
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mistake of Bipartisanship  (Read 1063 times)
Epaminondas

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2019, 06:14:45 AM »

"Democrats may get one more chance to govern before a competent authoritarian emerges on the right. We can’t waste that opportunity."

Interesting piece from The Nation
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 01:44:03 PM »

"Democrats may get one more chance to govern before a competent authoritarian emerges on the right. We can’t waste that opportunity."

The authoritarian is going to come from the left, sorry to break it to you.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »

How? Come back to me when Western Europe and Canada are Communist Dictatorships like Stalin.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 04:52:42 PM »

How? Come back to me when Western Europe and Canada are Communist Dictatorships like Stalin.
Come back to me when we go the way of Britain with no free speech and knife disposal bins.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »

Come back to me when we go the way of Britain with no free speech and knife disposal bins.

Get back to me when Britain has concentration camps and a ruler declaring himself the king of Israel and second coming of god.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »

Get back to me when Britain has concentration camps and a ruler declaring himself the king of Israel and second coming of god.

I call BS on concentration camps. Nice try.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »

A retreat to semantics is not an argument.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 09:57:29 PM »

and when British cops who kill teenagers in broad daylight are given medals and students get expelled from British schools for being victims of violence.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »

Bipartisanship has always meant doing whatever the reigning political orthodoxy in a specific party system has deemed permissible and allowable. Under our current party system...being a Democrat means striving for policies that are conservative enough to get Republican support, and liberal enough for Democrats to like.

Bipartisanship is scam and hopefully it finally dies in 2020
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 11:05:15 PM »

In the current political climate, "bipartisanship" mostly refers to giving as much ground to Republicans as possible.

Only after Democrats return to their New Deal-era political strength and aggressively fight back against Republicans can we go into a new era where "bipartisanship" means Republicans giving more ground than they currently do.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 11:48:01 PM »

In the current political climate, "bipartisanship" mostly refers to giving as much ground to Republicans as possible.

Only after Democrats return to their New Deal-era political strength and aggressively fight back against Republicans can we go into a new era where "bipartisanship" means Republicans giving more ground than they currently do.

Good point. Back in 1956, Eisenhower's Labor secretary Arthur Larson released a book called: A Republican Looks At His Party.

The book essentially calls on the Republican party to subjugate to the New Deal Democratic party and never go back to it's Conservative roots. The writing is very similar to those of mindless Bill Clinton hacks who call on the Democratic party to go back to being a ''centrist'' party of the 90s that just passes ''market based ideas'' that accommodate the GOP.

The demographics are there, the generational changes are there, the political realignment changes are there: It's time for the Democratic party to shift heavily left and away from the politics of weak-ass accommodation.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 10:46:45 PM »

I hope this thread title does not mean that it is a mistake to compromise.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »

He's already here, and he didn't come from the left, sorry to break it to you.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 10:09:21 PM »

They are by international recogniton and dictionary definition concentration camps. Nice try at redefining language and facts though!

Also, hilarious how you didn't even dispute the point that we have a ruler who has declared himself the king of Israel and second coming of god. As if that's totally normal and not authoritarian at all.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 09:18:12 PM »

You know that the leadership of Britain for the past decade has been the Conservative Party, right?
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 08:39:03 AM »

You know that the leadership of Britain for the past decade has been the Conservative Party, right?
Which is not *conservative* by any American standard.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 10:47:57 PM »

No matter who is in charge money and debt is gonna be a problem and runaway spending isnt realistic on either side. As Trump found out in 2017, after tax cuts weren't paid for by taxes of the workers
super6646
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 11:00:39 PM »

Which is not *conservative* by any American standard.

Spending like you are high as a kite is conservative? At least the Tories in Britain and Canada actually try to keep their fiscally conservative roots.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies