S.19.3-17: Lawyers Without School Act of 2019 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:58:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.3-17: Lawyers Without School Act of 2019 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.3-17: Lawyers Without School Act of 2019 (Passed)  (Read 1649 times)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« on: August 30, 2019, 07:20:58 AM »
« edited: September 21, 2019, 12:44:43 AM by Southern Speaker Muaddib »

Lawyers Without School Act of 2019

Section I - Title: The Title of this Bill shall be “Lawyers Without School Act”

Section II – Options
      Any citizen of the South, over the age of 18, who has obtained a high school, is eligible to take the bar exam if they have completed the following requirements
1.   Graduated from an accredited law school in Atlasia
2.   Completes a Law Office Apprenticeship Program in the South

Section III – Law Office Apprenticeship Program
      All participants of the Apprenticeship Program are subject to the following
1.   A four-year apprenticeship with a law firm, lawyer with a degree from an accredited law school in Atlasia, or a professor of law at a college or university in the South
2.   Each student will be required to work and train for 18 hours a week under Section III. 1
3.   Passage of a First-Year Law Student’s Exam is required at the end of the first year of apprenticeship in order to continue the program. The cost of the exam will be $50
4.   Students must demonstrate positive moral character determination over the course of the program
5.   All requirements (other than the bar exam and completion of law school ) in order to be a lawyer must be fulfilled in order to complete the program

Section IV – Lawyers
Lawyers, law firms, and professors of law have the discretion of picking students they want to apprentice.

Section V – Fees
1.   A one-time fee of $100 shall be given to the Southern Government in order to enroll in the apprenticeship program
2.   An annual fee of $1500 a year shall be given to the mentor under Section III.1 in order to continue the apprenticeship program
Sponsor: Delegate DeadPrez
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 01:26:23 AM »

due to the weather, I will wait until TSA is safe to motion for a final vote.
This is a good idea. It also provides our fellow delegates a chance to comment and debate this bill further.

The reason I support this bill is that there has been too much emphasis in years gone by on getting an expensive piece of paper. If we can actually reduce the cost by streamlining the process, all without lowering the actual standards of the tests... Why wouldn't we want to provide that opportunity to those who are capable?

Hopefully this doesn't incentivize "ambulance chasing". I am somewhat worried that more lawyers means more of those parasitical lawyers in the "ambulance chasing industry".
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:09:19 AM »

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of Delegate Reagente as I believe this could very well be an issue close to his heart.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 08:32:47 AM »

Any other criticisms? If not, I will be putting some amendments forth

I would put forward you amendments. It appears as tho debate is dying down and I for one would welcome amendments to improve this bill further.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 01:13:13 AM »

Lawyers Without School Act of 2019

Section I - Title: The Title of this Bill shall be “Lawyers Without School Act”

Section II – Options
      Any citizen of the South, over the age of 18, who has obtained a high school, is eligible to take the bar exam if they have completed the following requirements
1.   Graduated from an accredited law school in Atlasia
2.   Completes a Law Office Apprenticeship Program in the South

Section III – Law Office Apprenticeship Program
      All participants of the Apprenticeship Program are subject to the following
1.   A four-year apprenticeship with a law firm, lawyer with a degree from an accredited law school in Atlasia, or a professor of law at a college or university in the South
2.   Each student will be required to work and train for 40 hours a week under Section III. 1

3A.    Passage of a First-Year Law Student’s Exam is required at the end of the first year of apprenticeship in order to continue the program. The cost of the exam will be $50
3B. Year 1 of the mentorship program will be structured similarly to how the first year of law school is structured for students. The implementation shall be at the discretion of the mentor (professor, lawyer, or law firm)
4.   Students must demonstrate positive moral character determination over the course of the program
5.   All requirements (other than the bar exam and completion of law school ) in order to be a lawyer must be fulfilled in order to complete the program

Section IV – Lawyers
Lawyers, law firms, and professors of law have the discretion of picking students they want to apprentice.

Section V – Fees
1.   A one-time fee of $100 shall be given to the Southern Government in order to enroll in the apprenticeship program
2.   An annual fee of $1500 a year shall be given to the mentor under Section III.1 in order to continue the apprenticeship program
Sponsor: Delegate DeadPrez

I propose the following amendments

If there are no objections 24 hours after, Delegate DeadPrez's amendments were posted, they will be the working version of the bill. I will take Proxies in the event of an objection.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 03:06:36 AM »

Seconded.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:31:33 AM »

Voting is open on S.19.3-17: Lawyers Without School Act of 2019.

Sound the bells. (Delegates will be DM'd)

Voting Options are:
[   ] Aye
[   ] Nay
[   ] Abstain
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »

Aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 03:09:19 AM »

Voting closed

S.19.3-17: Lawyers Without School Act of 2019 passes

Final Vote Tally
[ 4 ] Aye
[ 1 ] Nay
[ 1 ] Abstain
[ 1 ] Absent (John Henry Eden)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: