UK General Election 2019 - Westminister
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:06:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  UK General Election 2019 - Westminister
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election 2019 - Westminister  (Read 4236 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2019, 03:22:25 AM »

At London 2010-15
User Ahmedghn, via Wikimedia Commons

The Palace of Westminster, where Governments are formed, bills are debated, and the course of human events charted.

((This thread will be used to a) either declare that your leader is unable to form a Government or to declare that your leader has formed a Government, b) present, debate, and vote on a Queen's Speech, and c) present, debate, and vote on other legislation as it arises))
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 04:00:22 AM »

Nicola Sturgeon's letter to Alistair Darling regarding possible SNP support of a Labour government.

Dear Mr. Darling MP, Leader of the Labour Party,

Good morning and congratulations on your strong performance this election!

The SNP are happy to support a Labour government. The results show that Scotland opposes Brexit, austerity and wants an independence referendum - and as we said in our campaign, these topics will be our main focus in Westminster. Will a Labour government comit to allowing the Scottish people to decide their future, which the Tories have consistently denied?

We look forward to your response and working with you in the next parliament.

Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 05:29:09 AM »

Caroline Lucas' letter to Alistair Darling for Green support of a Labour government

Mr Darling,

Your strong showing is to be commended.

Though I am serving as only interim leader until a new leader can be successor, the Green Party is prepared to enter a coalition with the Labour Party. In return, all we ask is a promise to immediately act on increasing environmental controls and the Gree Party receivng the Envirionment, Food and Rural Affairs portfolio.

Best wishes,

Caroline Lucas.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »

Alistair Darling's Letter to Caroline Lucas
Dear Ms. Lucas:

Let me be the first to welcome you into our Coalition. Your tireless efforts to protect the environment have not gone unnoticed. It is a privilege to work with you and I sincerely hope we can pass a comprehensive climate bill in the near future. We accept each of your requests described in your letter dated September 12th, 2019.

Our first objective is to revoke Article 50 and hold a second referendum on membership in the European Union. Your support is critical in these first few weeks. We appreciate your willingness to join us in fighting for a People's Vote.

We look forward to a productive relationship. When the Red and the Green unite, none can hope to defeat us.

In Solidarity,

Alistair Darling
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 02:32:32 PM »

Statement from Alistair Darling

I have just received notice from Change UK that they plan to support our coalition with the Liberal Democrats in the House of Commons. At this time, our Government has brought together a coalition of parties that represent the wishes of the people of this country. I will formally ask the Queen to let Labour form a new government with a coalition of the Liberal Democrats, Change UK, and the Green Party.

This election has given us a clear result: the people of this nation reject isolation and euroscepticism. They reject politics as usual. It is our job to carry their will into Government and revoke Article 50 on Day 1.

I will hold a press conference after my meeting with the Queen this afternoon. Thank you very much.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »

Statement from Angus Robertson MP, leader of the SNP in Westminster on the new Government and the SNP's plans for an independence referendum.

The SNP congratulates the new Prime Minister on his new role. We find his commitment to revoke article 50 on day one to be encouraging and the SNP has many areas of agreement with the new government, especially with Labour and the Greens. However, the Prime Minister refused to hold an independence referendum despite the overwhelming support for one in Scotland. We made the fact that we can't participate in a government which refuses to allow the Scottish people to chose their future clear during the election campaign and the fact that 52% of Scots voted for pro-independence parties solidifies our conviction.

We will be talking to other parties about the importance of letting the Scottish people vote and will be putting forward a bill regarding this very soon. We appeal to unionists, it is your right to oppose independence but it isn't acceptable to deny a vote which the Scottish parliament and the Scottish people have voted for many times. If you have the courage of your convictions, you can campaign against independence during the referendum. If this bill fails to pass, we will start exploring other options. We will be fighting very hard for this referendum, it is not a point on which we will compromise. The Scottish people have been ignored for a long time and we won't let it happen any longer.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:00:13 PM »

Her Majesty’s most gracious speech to both Houses of Parliament

My Lords, my colleagues, members of the House of Commons.

The results of our most recent national election have sent us a clear message: the voters of this country want a fair deal on membership in the European Union. As Prime Minister, my Government will revoke Article 50 effective immediately. We will immediately commence work on organizing a second People’s Vote on membership in the European Union, with clear options and outcomes for the voters of this country to decide upon.

My government, in coalition with the Liberal Democrats, Change UK, and the Green Party, will work to reform the House of Lords and establish a Federal United Kingdom, with a written Constitution that clearly delineates branches of government and separation of powers. This Constitution will have a section enumerating the rights of all people living in our Union.

Our government will invest in the NHS and in education, working to reduce wait times and increase teacher pay for the first time in a decade. We will reform higher education and work to scrap tuition fees. With the support of our coalition, I will work to ensure that our schools are well funded, our teachers well paid, and our health system protected from privatization.

My government will appoint a Minister for Mutuals and will work to create an inclusive economy for all of Britain. We will work to pass a Blue New Deal for our coastal communities, increase vacation time, and rebuild our beleagured industrial centres throughout our Union. We will increase paid leave and increase the minimum wage to £10.50 an hour.

Our government will accept more refugees from war torn parts of the world. We will offer asylum to LGBT individuals fleeing persecution in their home countries. I will work to create an inclusive Britain that embraces refugees and the downtrodden. We will work for peace abroad and oppose dictatorial regimes with the cooperation of the international community.

Finally, our government will support a deindustrialization inmpact fund and pledges to build 300,000 new homes. In our capacity as a coalition government, we will seek input from the people of this country on membership in the European Union. I fully intend to work with our partners in government and come to an equitable solution that satisfies all parties.

Members of the House of Commons:
Estimates for the public services will be laid before you.
My Lords and Members of the House of Commons:
Other measures will be laid before you.

I pray that the blessing of Almighty God may rest upon your counsels.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 08:18:47 PM »

John Bercow, speaking at the Sixth Annual Bingham Lecture at Middle Temple in London. Credit: PA, via ITV

Speaker Bercow: Order! Order! The Right Honorable Leader of the Opposition!

((OOC: Each party leader may speak on the Queen's Speech))
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 04:34:59 AM »

Response from Angus Robertson MP, leader of the SNP in Westminster to the Queen's speech.

Mr. Speaker, I don't hesitate to say her majesty's speech is far superior to the ones put forward by the Tories in the past, the pledges on Brexit are particularly strong. The SNP intents to abstain on the vote as although the speech is good on most matters, it doesn't include the pressing issue of self determination for Scotland.

We have two questions for the Prime Minister. What policies will his administration persue for or regarding Scotland in particular? Also, what will be the government's view towards renationalisation of vital public utilities?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »

Mr. Speaker, our government is committed to giving the people of the UK and her constituent countries more control over their affairs. This is why we support a Federal United Kingdom. That is why we support devolution.

However, I oppose any attempt to tear our union apart. We oppose independence referendums on these grounds. We believe in giving the people of this country fair and equitable representation at all levels of government, not subjecting them to a binding 'yes or no' vote on their future.

On public utilities, Mr. Speaker, we support nationalizing British Rail and ending the abuses of privatization across the board. I will work to reverse decades of disinvestment and malfeasance by private ownership of our utilities.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 06:33:14 PM »

Response from Jean Lambert, Secretary of State for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs

"Mr Speaker, this is a clear blueprint for a better, fairer nation. I just have one question for the prime Minister. Will he commit to a strong, rigorously enforced bill to fight climate change?"
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 12:58:39 AM »

Mr. Speaker, let me make it clear, we will fight to decarbonize the British economy and bring net carbon emissions down to zero as soon as possible. That will require a bold climate law and our Government, with the support of the Green Party, will fight to pass such a law. We will send a clear message to the rest of the world that climate change is the greatest crisis we have yet faced.

Britain will lead the world and have net negative emissions by 2050. I applaud my colleagues in the Green Party for championing this fight.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 09:46:01 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2019, 11:04:37 PM by YPestis25 »

Response from the Leader of the Opposition

Mr. Speaker, I would first like to congratulate Prime Minister Darling on his victory. Secondly, I would caution this house against Mr. Darling's agenda. In particular his economic proposals seem poised to send us back into a massive fiscal deficit. Tell me Mr. Darling how do you intend to pay for these new programs without crushing economic growth?

Moreover, we stand at a precipice over our democratic values. Article 50 will likely be revoked. What will that say to the millions who voted to leave the European Union? That their voices do not matter since you disagree with them?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »

John Bercow, speaking at the Sixth Annual Bingham Lecture at Middle Temple in London. Credit: PA, via ITV

Speaker Bercow: Order! Order! The Question is on the adoption of the Queen’s Speech. There will be a division! Clear the lobbies! The Ayes to right, the noes the left.

((OOC: Each party leader should indicate how they are directing their whip to vote.))
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2019, 06:55:34 PM by Devout Centrist »

Labour MPs shall vote AYE (three line whip)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 10:15:56 AM »

Change UK MP's shall vote AYE.

Three line whip.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09