FT 13-03: Commonwealth Education Organization Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:29:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 13-03: Commonwealth Education Organization Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 13-03: Commonwealth Education Organization Act (Debating)  (Read 1048 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:49:13 PM »
« edited: August 29, 2019, 08:21:39 PM by Warren Peace🦋 »

AN ACT
To establish regional education standards and relevant administrative bodies thereof

Section 1: Title

This legislation may be cited as the Commonwealth Education Organization Act.

Section 2: Establishment of the Frémont Department of Education

1. The Frémont Department of Education is hereby established as a Cabinet-level department of the Frémont government.  The primary responsibilities of the Department of Education shall be as follows:

i. To strengthen the regional commitment to assuring access to equal educational opportunity for every individual;

ii. To supplement and complement the efforts of states, the local school systems and other instrumentalities of the states, the private sector, public and private nonprofit educational research institutions, community-based organizations, parents, and students to improve the quality of education;

iii. To encourage the increased involvement of the public, parents, and students in regional and federal education programs;

iv. To promote improvements in the quality and usefulness of education through federally supported research, evaluation, and sharing of information;

v. To increase the accountability of regional education programs to the First Minister, the Parliament, and the public.

vi. To centralize and apply regional education standards as determined by regional law

2. All functions and activities of the Frémont Department of Education shall be overseen by the office of the Minister of Education, which shall be a non-playable character appointed by and discharged at the discretion of the First Minister or Parliament.  The Office of the Frémont Department of Education shall be headquartered in Denver, CO.

Section 3: Sub-departments of the Department of Education

Section 4: Base Amount for School Equity (BASE)

TBD - The minimum general fund budget that all public school district must adopt in Frémont

Section 5: Teachers' Retirement System (TRS)

1. The mission of the Teachers' Retirement System, which shall be the sole pension program for education instructors in Frémont, is to promote long-term financial security for members while maintaining the stability of the fund.  TRS members shall have the added security of a defined benefit pension plan in which the monthly benefit amount is based both on years of service and average final compensation.  Defined benefits shall be guaranteed for the member's lifetime.

2. All teachers shall pay a minimum of 8.15% of their annual salary to the Teachers' Retirement System for their retirement, disability, and death benefits.

3. All school district employers shall contribute a minimum of 8.47% of their annual salary to the Teachers' Retirement System.

4. A minimum of .238% of all revenue shall be reserved in the annual budget of the Commonwealth for the Teachers' Retirement System.
Sponsor: Scott, FM
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 08:06:36 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2019, 08:17:33 PM by Warren Peace🦋 »

The Montana-ization of Frémont education begins!

Education will likely be the largest component of our 2020 budget.  This bill establishes a new department within the Frémont government to oversee centralization of education standards and funding which is based on Montana's education model, including a region-wide pension program that will replace all state pension programs.

As I've previously stated in the budget thread, while our basic education funding model will resemble that of Montana's, our education dollars will be redistributed on the basis of individual district needs.  This is the driving philosophy of Wyoming's own successful funding model, which spends between $15,000 to $18,000 per student per year in K-12 education and recaptures money from wealthy districts and reallocates those to poor or underperforming school districts.  This way, no matter the zip code, no matter the size of the community, no matter where the student is from, and no matter what a student's socioeconomic status is, all will be guaranteed access to a quality education in our great Commonwealth.

Obviously the bill in its present form is not complete, but we will find the unknown knowns and concoct a proper funding formula as we continue drafting the 2020 budget in the main thread.

One of those unknown knowns is precisely how much money we will need to fund extracurricular institutions such as libraries, art centers, and schools for children with special needs, which will fall under the purview of the Department of Education.  For that we might need help from the GM Department.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 09:07:49 PM »

I assume a fifth slot has been opened due to the need to quickly establish a receptacle for regional education funding arising from the budget debate?

Regardless, this is a prudent and needful bill, and an important next step following the reforms to education introduced in Frémont in 2017. I suppose the first matter of business would be to determine an appropriate minimum per capital dollar amount re: §4. Is $15/18 K sufficient as per the Wyoming model, or do we want to set that value higher? Presumably Frémont will have a larger revenue pool to work with than Wyoming, albeit obviously with a longer bill of expense as well.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 06:36:59 PM »

I assume a fifth slot has been opened due to the need to quickly establish a receptacle for regional education funding arising from the budget debate?

Correct.  I would also predict that education is going to be the single largest expenditure for the budget, as it is in Montana.

Regardless, this is a prudent and needful bill, and an important next step following the reforms to education introduced in Frémont in 2017. I suppose the first matter of business would be to determine an appropriate minimum per capital dollar amount re: §4. Is $15/18 K sufficient as per the Wyoming model, or do we want to set that value higher? Presumably Frémont will have a larger revenue pool to work with than Wyoming, albeit obviously with a longer bill of expense as well.

I think the $15/18 K is sufficient.  We can set the value higher, but of course we have to keep in mind that regionalization is probably going to cost us our surplus.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 09:39:32 PM »

Then I propose the following amendment:

Section 4: Base Amount for School Equity (BASE)
1. All revenue raised and by the Commonwealth of Frémont and appropriated by the parliament thereof to finance the operation of the Commonwealth's public schools, shall be paid into a Common Fund, and distributed among the several states according to the following formula:

i. For every student enrolled in a school district of a particular state, no less than $18,000 shall be allocated for the use of that district.

The first minister may feel free to correct me if this is not the proper form, as I'm not entirely sure what is meant by the placeholder text for this section.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »

Looks good to me.

Tallying the cost for this thing is going to be a bitch.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »

The amendment is adopted.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 09:10:04 PM »

Are we ready to move on?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »

Could the first minister clarify what §3 is supposed to say?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »

§3 is reserved for special departments within the Education Department, such as those which serve children and students with special needs.  I was at the hospital on Friday and my personal life has been busy these last few days, so I apologize for my limited activity.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 11:34:18 AM »

§3 is reserved for special departments within the Education Department, such as those which serve children and students with special needs.  I was at the hospital on Friday and my personal life has been busy these last few days, so I apologize for my limited activity.
Perfectly understandable, don't worry about it. I just wanted to make sure we didn't move to a vote before everything had been addressed.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 08:22:46 PM »

I know the first minister has many serious demands on his time, as does Pericles as our nation's vice president, but there are two other members who have not voiced an opinion on this bill. If parliament would prefer I ruled alone as an absolute monarch, please do say so: otherwise, it would be nice if everyone would participate.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »

What does the first minister want to do with this?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 11:02:12 PM »

Sorry, I haven't forgotten this.  I had hoped that this would kind of be a collaborative effort, but it doesn't appear that this (or the budget) are going to be.

I'll try to have an amendment written up tomorrow for sub-departments of the DoE.  The BASE amount needs to be determined as well.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »

With regards to the Education system as a whole I strongly support making access to textbooks free and compulsory school uniforms. Whether it is tackled in this legislation or in other future legislation I would strongly support such initiatives.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 06:16:46 PM »

With regards to the Education system as a whole I strongly support making access to textbooks free and compulsory school uniforms. Whether it is tackled in this legislation or in other future legislation I would strongly support such initiatives.
I definitely agree with at least the first of these.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 06:19:55 PM »

Housekeeping amendment:
AN ACT
to establish regional education standards and relevant administrative bodies thereof

Section 1 (Title)
i. This legislation may be cited as the "Scott Commonwealth Education Organization Act".

Section 2 (Establishment of the Frémont Department of Education)
i. The Frémont Department of Education is hereby established as a Cabinet-level department of the Frémont government.  The primary responsibilities of the Department of Education shall be as follows:
(a) To strengthen the regional commitment to assuring access to equal educational opportunity for every individual;
(b) To supplement and complement the efforts of states, the local school systems and other instrumentalities of the states, the private sector, public and private nonprofit educational research institutions, community-based organizations, parents, and students to improve the quality of education;
(c) To encourage the increased involvement of the public, parents, and students in regional and federal education programs;
(d) To promote improvements in the quality and usefulness of education through federally supported research, evaluation, and sharing of information;
(e) To increase the accountability of regional education programs to the First Minister, the Parliament, and the public.
(f) To centralize and apply regional education standards as determined by regional law
ii. All functions and activities of the Frémont Department of Education shall be overseen by the office of the Minister of Education, which shall be a non-playable character appointed by and discharged at the discretion of the First Minister or Parliament.  The Office of the Frémont Department of Education shall be headquartered in Denver, CO.

Section 3: (Base Amount for School Equity (BASE))
i. All revenue raised and by the Commonwealth of Frémont and appropriated by the parliament thereof to finance the operation of the Commonwealth's public schools, shall be paid into a Common Fund, and distributed among the several states according to the following formula:
(a) For every student enrolled in a school district of a particular state, no less than $18,000 shall be allocated for the use of that district.

Section 4 (Teachers' Retirement System (TRS))
i. The mission of the Teachers' Retirement System, which shall be the sole pension program for education instructors in Frémont, is to promote long-term financial security for members while maintaining the stability of the fund. TRS members shall have the added security of a defined benefit pension plan in which the monthly benefit amount is based both on years of service and average final compensation. Defined benefits shall be guaranteed for the member's lifetime.
ii. All teachers shall pay a minimum of 8.15% of their annual salary to the Teachers' Retirement System for their retirement, disability, and death benefits.
iii. All school district employers shall contribute a minimum of 8.47% of their annual salary to the Teachers' Retirement System.
iv. A minimum of .238% of all revenue shall be reserved in the annual budget of the Commonwealth for the Teachers' Retirement System.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »

Seeing no objection, the amendment is adopted.

I move for a vote.
Roblox

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »

I also motion for a vote
Roblox

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 07:04:03 PM »

Now opening a vote.

Aye.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »

Aye!
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »

aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 09:53:37 PM »

Aye
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 12:34:01 AM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »

With five members in favor and none opposed, the resolution carries.

AN ACT
to establish regional education standards and relevant administrative bodies thereof

Section 1 (Title)
i. This legislation may be cited as the "Scott Commonwealth Education Organization Act".

Section 2 (Establishment of the Frémont Department of Education)
i. The Frémont Department of Education is hereby established as a Cabinet-level department of the Frémont government.  The primary responsibilities of the Department of Education shall be as follows:
(a) To strengthen the regional commitment to assuring access to equal educational opportunity for every individual;
(b) To supplement and complement the efforts of states, the local school systems and other instrumentalities of the states, the private sector, public and private nonprofit educational research institutions, community-based organizations, parents, and students to improve the quality of education;
(c) To encourage the increased involvement of the public, parents, and students in regional and federal education programs;
(d) To promote improvements in the quality and usefulness of education through federally supported research, evaluation, and sharing of information;
(e) To increase the accountability of regional education programs to the First Minister, the Parliament, and the public.
(f) To centralize and apply regional education standards as determined by regional law
ii. All functions and activities of the Frémont Department of Education shall be overseen by the office of the Minister of Education, which shall be a non-playable character appointed by and discharged at the discretion of the First Minister or Parliament.  The Office of the Frémont Department of Education shall be headquartered in Denver, CO.

Section 3: (Base Amount for School Equity (BASE))
i. All revenue raised and by the Commonwealth of Frémont and appropriated by the parliament thereof to finance the operation of the Commonwealth's public schools, shall be paid into a Common Fund, and distributed among the several states according to the following formula:
(a) For every student enrolled in a school district of a particular state, no less than $18,000 shall be allocated for the use of that district.

Section 4 (Teachers' Retirement System (TRS))
i. The mission of the Teachers' Retirement System, which shall be the sole pension program for education instructors in Frémont, is to promote long-term financial security for members while maintaining the stability of the fund. TRS members shall have the added security of a defined benefit pension plan in which the monthly benefit amount is based both on years of service and average final compensation. Defined benefits shall be guaranteed for the member's lifetime.
ii. All teachers shall pay a minimum of 8.15% of their annual salary to the Teachers' Retirement System for their retirement, disability, and death benefits.
iii. All school district employers shall contribute a minimum of 8.47% of their annual salary to the Teachers' Retirement System.
iv. A minimum of .238% of all revenue shall be reserved in the annual budget of the Commonwealth for the Teachers' Retirement System.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies