Mapping American Four-Quadrant Political Ideology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:14:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Mapping American Four-Quadrant Political Ideology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Mapping American Four-Quadrant Political Ideology  (Read 8704 times)
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2020, 01:18:08 AM »

RI do you know what share the various quadrants were of the primary electorate(s)?

2016 D:
Liberal 69.1, Communitarian 24.3, Conservative 4.7, Libertarian 1.8

2016 R:
Conservative 67.1, Communitarian 24.2, Liberal 5.3, Libertarian 3.4

2012 R:
Conservative 64.4, Communitarian 26.3, Liberal 5.5, Libertarian 3.8

Thinking about the 2020 Democratic primary electorate, I’m guessing that Biden is gonna do better with communitarians, whereas Warren and Sanders will do better with liberals. Not sure where conservative and libertarian Democrats will go tho...

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden won every quadrant of Democratic primary voters in the end, and I'm willing to bet the median Super Tuesday Biden voter was in the lower-left quadrant.

If I had to guess, Bloomberg or Gabbard had the most conservatives, while Yang had the most libertarians.

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publication/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2020, 01:24:47 AM »

Wouldn’t Mormoms be communitarian?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2020, 01:48:11 AM »

Interesting.  Not sure that I totally buy the size of the commutarian group- and I'm not a huge fan of 2 axis charts.  Sometimes they have an agenda (e.g. the political compass trying to say that the Democrats are conservative or libertarian organizations trying to push people into the bottom right), but regardless, they are not super descriptive for an ideology.

The part I really do find interesting is that this suggests that conservatism as an ideology is actually rooted in the suburbs and is not inversly correlated to education at all.  I've been saying that for a long time.  I imagine that the same actually applies for the backbone of religious-based social conservative movements.  Even if it's not everybody in well-off suburbs, movements like these tend to have their most fervent support in suburbs.  For example, I guarantee you that evangelicals who actually don't drink, save themselves for marriage, avoid cursing, and the like come from a lot less rural and "white working class" backgrounds than a lot of people assume.
you think suburbanites tend to be more traditionalist than those in rural areas?

I was largely talking about the sort of ideological "movement conservatism" and the super churchy parts of the religious right.  Even if those groups aren't the majority of the suburbs (maybe with the exception of my suburb of Williamson County), they are disproportionately found in suburbs.

Another example of this that I've talked about is that (per FOX News's 2018 voter analysis), college educated white evangelicals and non-college white evangelicals vote virtually identically.  However, that covers up major differences between the two groups.  The types of super personally socially conservative things are usually found in more upper-middle class demographics (who almost have political views vaguely similar to Mormons, albeit not quite as skeptical of Trump), while more downscale evangelicals tend to have more of a sort of cultural conservatism.  This is probably more apparent in Republican primaries (i.e. Cruz/Rubio vs. Trump, in TN Lee vs. Black and Sethi vs. Hagerty).

Not truly related, but I'd like to ask you if you know personally anyone in the (tiny) minority of college-educated White evangelicals who vote Democratic and if so what is generally their political philosophy or ideology.

The most posting poster is one.

Really? BRTD? I thought he was "mainline".
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »

Interesting.  Not sure that I totally buy the size of the commutarian group- and I'm not a huge fan of 2 axis charts.  Sometimes they have an agenda (e.g. the political compass trying to say that the Democrats are conservative or libertarian organizations trying to push people into the bottom right), but regardless, they are not super descriptive for an ideology.

The part I really do find interesting is that this suggests that conservatism as an ideology is actually rooted in the suburbs and is not inversly correlated to education at all.  I've been saying that for a long time.  I imagine that the same actually applies for the backbone of religious-based social conservative movements.  Even if it's not everybody in well-off suburbs, movements like these tend to have their most fervent support in suburbs.  For example, I guarantee you that evangelicals who actually don't drink, save themselves for marriage, avoid cursing, and the like come from a lot less rural and "white working class" backgrounds than a lot of people assume.
you think suburbanites tend to be more traditionalist than those in rural areas?

I was largely talking about the sort of ideological "movement conservatism" and the super churchy parts of the religious right.  Even if those groups aren't the majority of the suburbs (maybe with the exception of my suburb of Williamson County), they are disproportionately found in suburbs.

Another example of this that I've talked about is that (per FOX News's 2018 voter analysis), college educated white evangelicals and non-college white evangelicals vote virtually identically.  However, that covers up major differences between the two groups.  The types of super personally socially conservative things are usually found in more upper-middle class demographics (who almost have political views vaguely similar to Mormons, albeit not quite as skeptical of Trump), while more downscale evangelicals tend to have more of a sort of cultural conservatism.  This is probably more apparent in Republican primaries (i.e. Cruz/Rubio vs. Trump, in TN Lee vs. Black and Sethi vs. Hagerty).

Not truly related, but I'd like to ask you if you know personally anyone in the (tiny) minority of college-educated White evangelicals who vote Democratic and if so what is generally their political philosophy or ideology.

The most posting poster is one.

Really? BRTD? I thought he was "mainline".

BRTD is a very proud low-church evangelical who attends a hipsterish congregation.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2020, 01:54:01 AM »

Could you talk about how you generated these maps? I would be interested to see one for legislative districts (congress and Ohio legislature). I think it would also be interesting to see a third axis, for social conservatism if this current axis is cultural conservatism. Hence my original question, as that is probably too much work for you to bother with, but I'd be willing to take a stab at it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2020, 11:55:48 AM by Dr. RI, Trustbuster »

the following chart, which depicts the American electorate spread predominately across three of the four quadrants (sorry, libertarians):

This picture doesn’t show up anymore.

I've updated the link.

Could you talk about how you generated these maps? I would be interested to see one for legislative districts (congress and Ohio legislature). I think it would also be interesting to see a third axis, for social conservatism if this current axis is cultural conservatism. Hence my original question, as that is probably too much work for you to bother with, but I'd be willing to take a stab at it.

I cannot create a similar map for legislative districts as I do not have microdata available at that level.

As far as trying alternative axes, I may do so at some point if I have time.
not.fazee
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2020, 08:19:39 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2020, 08:27:53 AM by not.fazee »

No, because mormons by and large are economically conservative and fairly affluent compared to more communitarian denominations like southern baptists and catholics.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2022, 11:44:29 AM by Dr. RI, Trustbuster »

Can you post the map based on the values issues/size of government version, if that's not a ton of work?

Sorry that it's taken me so long, but I finally fixed a really stupid issue that was plaguing this version. Here's the raw map:
Image Link

And the z-score map (more interesting):
Image Link
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2021, 11:40:43 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2021, 12:05:00 AM by khuzifenq »

Can you post the map based on the values issues/size of government version, if that's not a ton of work?

Sorry that it's taken me so long, but I finally fixed a really stupid issue that was plaguing this version. Here's the raw map:
Image Link

Image Link

First map: The only non-red/non-blue area on the first map appears to be East Side Cleveland.

Second map: Within big city metros, red = where college-educated white people live [darker red = higher concentration of college whites], while green  = heavily nonwhite areas (Latino, Asian, and/or black).

Notably, the RGV and urbanized Florida are yellow, although the Cuban enclaves of Miami-Dade appear to be green?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2021, 08:22:24 AM »

Image Link

Image Link

First map: The only non-red/non-blue area on the first map appears to be East Side Cleveland.

Second map: Within big city metros, red = where college-educated white people live [darker red = higher concentration of college whites], while green  = heavily nonwhite areas (Latino, Asian, and/or black).

Notably, the RGV and urbanized Florida are yellow, although the Cuban enclaves of Miami-Dade appear to be green?

No, in the first map there's a second green speck corresponding to central Birmingham. Obviously both are majority-Black urban areas, and in the second map you notice how basically all heavily Black urban and suburban areas are pretty green by z-score, but I wonder what would set out those two places in having an especially high share of "communitarians".
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »

Image Link

Image Link

No, in the first map there's a second green speck corresponding to central Birmingham. Obviously both are majority-Black urban areas, and in the second map you notice how basically all heavily Black urban and suburban areas are pretty green by z-score, but I wonder what would set out those two places in having an especially high share of "communitarians".

I'm guessing RI used the demographic crosstabs (age, education, race, religion, income, etc.) from the voter survey(s) referenced in the OP and mapped those onto ACS PUMS data?

Wouldn't be surprised if the black crosstab in the voter survey(s) was disproportionately older Southern blacks, who are probably more devoutly Christian and socially conservative than their younger and urban counterparts outside the South. I can anecdotally confirm that Black, Latino, and Asian Americans are more culturally/philosophically communitarian than their D-voting white counterparts, although this may not be reflected in the survey responses pertaining to LGBT/abortion.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies