Somebody explain John Bel Edwards to me
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:20:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Somebody explain John Bel Edwards to me
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Somebody explain John Bel Edwards to me  (Read 2652 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2019, 06:09:58 PM »

Considering Louisiana is so Republican, how did JBE win? In 2015, a Republican-friendly year, no less.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »

He's pro life, pro death penalty and nauseatingly pro prison industrial complex.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 06:25:19 PM »

Jindal tanked both the Louisiana economy and state budget pretty hardcore.    Additionally Vitter was seen as a corporate slimeball (which he definitely is).   

The two together made it possible for JBE to pull through on local issues and avoid national politics at the time.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »

a) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZQVCFVVVE0

b) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE-340ZRJhE
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »

Can’t discount Vitter’s earlier prostitution scandal — while I don’t think it had as big an impact as Jindal absolutely destroying the state’s economy (and my personal feelings on prostitution aside), it definitely contributed to a larger image of general sleaze.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »

Vitter was scandal-plagued, very Washington, woefully unprepared for a competitive race, and bogged down by the Jindal disaster.

JBE was clean, knew the state, ready to fight for it, and had solutions.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »

Vitter's baggage caught up with him now that there wasn't a national wave to bury it, and unlike most Dems, JBE took no prisoners the whole way.

I actually considered writing him in for 2016 in honor of this style, which for some reason no Democrat has done with Trump, when that would be so easy.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »

He's pro life, pro death penalty and nauseatingly pro prison industrial complex.

JBE did the whole prison reform thing

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/crime_police/article_a5c01e10-7ad9-11e8-856e-ebf326bf26bc.html

The state has seen a 20 percent decrease in the number of people imprisoned for nonviolent crimes and a 42 percent decrease in those sent to prison for drug possession.  Actually fell behind OK for highest incarceration rate.   Also got rid of Louisiana being the only state that could convict without a unanimous jury (via Constitutional amendment).

Probably will make him a little more unpopular in rural areas since that's where all the prison are.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 11:35:46 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2019, 11:38:57 PM by DINGO Joe stands on Sanchez »

He also spent money on education, which the Rs don't believe in.  Did the Medicaid expansion too.
Epaminondas

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 12:12:34 AM »

That first ad against Vitter is so savage.
Perhaps that's a leaf to take out of JBE's book for 2020 nationwide.

However JBE is by no means a run of the mill Democrat, he's very much Southern flavour and every young Dem from Louisiana I've met has hard word against him.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 01:06:44 AM »

David Vitter, that's the explanation.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 06:05:25 AM »

Pretty much. Yes, Jindal was unpopular, yes, JBE was an overall solid candidate with positions acceptable to Louisiana voters; but Vitter was just a whole other level of bad. You don't lose a high profile open race (while being a sitting Senator!) in LA by double digits as a GOP nominee in this time and age if you aren't a genuinely terrible candidate.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »

- pro-life Democrat
- who ran a competent and effective campaign
- against an extremely unpopular opponent
- from the same party as the unpopular outgoing governor

Nothing surprising, although his win was still somewhat impressive given how bad the national environment was for Democrats in 2015.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »

Vitter's baggage caught up with him now that there wasn't a national wave to bury it, and unlike most Dems, JBE took no prisoners the whole way.

This really shouldn't be discounted - JBE's campaign aggressively and effectively prosecuted the case against Vitter and it would have been a different race had they not.
Epaminondas

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 06:25:28 PM »

I'm still torn about how vicious this ad is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZQVCFVVVE0

Incredibly effective, but doesn't this just invite even worse every cycle?
(Or is my line of thinking exactly why Dems lose so often to whackjobs since 2010?)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 02:00:06 AM »

(Or is my line of thinking exactly why Dems lose so often to whackjobs since 2010?)

I guess Rs better more careful about when they call their prostitutes.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 10:39:46 AM »

Prostitutes over Patriots man,

prostitutes over patriots.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 05:31:19 PM »

A great way to not get attacked for being a total dirtbag is to not be a total dirtbag.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »

If Mitch Landrieu ran for Senate in 2014 instead of his sister, he would have defeated Cassidy.  Landrieu, along with Breaux and JBE are pragmatic Dems whom can win LA
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 12:34:43 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2019, 12:55:01 AM by IceSpear »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the massive amount of friendly fire Vitter took during the campaign. The third place finisher, Scott Angelle, didn't lift a finger to help Vitter and made his contempt for him known. As if that wasn't bad enough, the fourth place finisher, Jay Dardenne, the incumbent Republican Lt. Gov, actually endorsed JBE right before the election.  And due to LA's jungle primary system he had far less time to recover from the hits and consolidate the conservative vote.

The jungle primary split was 57-42 R, which is roughly what you'd expect in Louisiana, so I think the Republican internecine warfare had far more to do with the Democratic win than JBE's candidate quality (though he is a good one and it definitely helped) or Bobby Jindal. Though I guess it also ties into Vitter's general toxicity as well. But keep in mind that Charlie Melancon tried to aggressively use the prostitute strategy in 2010 too (like the prostitutes over patriots ad you all love so much) when it was actually more recent and relevant, and it went absolutely nowhere. Yeah yeah it was a wave, but it's not as if 2015 was a great environment for the Democrats either.

I think it was a lot easier for Republican voters to take Vitter's scandals and his general lack of character more seriously when it was coming from other Republicans, as opposed to when it was fake news lies coming from the Demoncrats and the Communist News Network or whatever.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 12:37:03 AM »

If Mitch Landrieu ran for Senate in 2014 instead of his sister, he would have defeated Cassidy.  Landrieu, along with Breaux and JBE are pragmatic Dems whom can win LA

No
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »

John Bel Edwards is a Demolican.

He is what you called a Republican elsewhere, but a Democrat down South.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »

No, the only place he'd be Republican is somewhere like Massachusetts or Vermont, maybe West Virginia. Anywhere else, and Edwards' record would be too liberal. Or in the cases of CA/HI it'd be political suicide to jump ship that way.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 04:44:29 PM »

No, the only place he'd be Republican is somewhere like Massachusetts or Vermont, maybe West Virginia. Anywhere else, and Edwards' record would be too liberal. Or in the cases of CA/HI it'd be political suicide to jump ship that way.

In HI/CA/MA you have people even more conservative then JBE elected as dems in a handful of places, because running outside the party is a automatic-defeat in their constituency.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 06:59:11 PM »

Louisiana cares a lot more about who their governor is than who their senator is. The gubernatorial campaign is seen as the political Superbowl in that state, and it's one of the few states to elect the governor in an off-year, off-year (not presidential or midterm). Remember, David Duke actually did better in his U.S. Senate race than the governor's race a year later.

But everything else mentioned in this thread is true...JBE not having much baggage while Vitter had a ton (and not just his affairs), plus 2015 wasn't as hostile to Democrats as 2010 or 2014. Trump was already starting to make Obama look kinda good.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies