7 States Where Demographics Haven't Determined Their Political Destiny -- Yet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:28:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  7 States Where Demographics Haven't Determined Their Political Destiny -- Yet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 7 States Where Demographics Haven't Determined Their Political Destiny -- Yet  (Read 2114 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 21, 2019, 08:02:04 PM »

I just wish that Republicans still wore ties and Democrats still wore flannel. Life was easier then. You know the time before rich kids wanted to be "cool" and when guys from the factory or the force didn't start half their sentences with "I'm not racist but...".
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »

^ As someone who managed to make it through law school (IIRC), I’m sure you know this ... but if you think there was a time in the past where there weren’t plenty of Republicans in flannel voting for Dewey and Democrats in ties voting for FDR, you’re sub-Atlas.

And it was perfectly atlas to take it literally.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 11:14:21 AM »

Thanks! Of course this begs the question why ME was so much more Democratic than NH in the first place. Why did it vote several points to the left of NH until 2016? It’s always struck me as a state that’s more Democratic than it "should be," especially considering the success ME Republicans have had downballot even after 1992.

My best guess is that residents in ME are socially conservative/fiscally liberal, and were attracted to Democrats' economic policies for a time, until Trump came along and adopted some of these economically populist positions himself.

How socially conservative is Maine? I didn't know they had a big traditional Catholic, LDS, or Evangelical population. They probably have some traditional Irish.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies